DIY Cable Gallery!!
Aug 13, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #4,531 of 16,312
Thanks! The 1/4" TS to RCAs are used to connect my EMU 1212m to my integrated amplifier and the RCA interconnects are used to connect my SACD player to my integrated. They're pretty much the same cables as the old ones they replaced (Looks different but same wire) but longer.

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #4,532 of 16,312
You can make ER4P pins by using solid core 16 and 18 gauge copper off ebay. Fits perfectly. Glue n solder and whatnot, make your own custom little connectors.

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #4,533 of 16,312
You an MOT yet Bonthouse? Pretty fresh cables! Now try some fun looks...enough of the black.

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #4,534 of 16,312
someone should make a tut on rewiring iems
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #4,536 of 16,312
Unfortunately the local supplier I got them from no longer carries them. I have some left but some have their barrels tarnishing (Humidity is ridiculous in Manoa valley as it's constantly raining). Luckily some of my older cables were bagged and didn't suffer from this, many of my brand new connectors have though so I've been trying to polish it out and will see if it works.

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #4,537 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Big question is...what are those RCA's skyline?

I have something similar - Nakamichi branded. You can find them on ebay occasionally. I got them in Vancouver at a brick and mortar called Lees Electronics. I did not see them on the web page but if you call / email you may be able to order them - Just ask for the heavy duty Nakamichi RCAs. They are $8.95 CAD per pair and can accept a really big cable.

DSC_6929.jpg

Aug 14, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #4,539 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by amc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have something similar - Nakamichi branded. You can find them on ebay occasionally. I got them in Vancouver at a brick and mortar called Lees Electronics. I did not see them on the web page but if you call / email you may be able to order them - Just ask for the heavy duty Nakamichi RCAs. They are $8.95 CAD per pair and can accept a really big cable.

The Nakamichi branded are big time fakes especially the ones from ebay, Nakamichi has never ever produced RCA's, Google Nakamichi RCA and you get a long list of sites where people say they're brass fakes! which is even questionable if its brass at all.

They look good no doubt, "LOK™ Silver Point RCA" Homegrown Audio Co. | pure silver audio cables - Products - RCA Connectors looks similar but much better, with solid silver rod or plated in gold and silver.

Aug 14, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #4,540 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Nakamichi branded are big time fakes especially the ones from ebay, Nakamichi has never ever produced RCA's, Google Nakamichi RCA and you get a long list of sites where people say they're brass fakes! which is even questionable if its brass at all.

They look good no doubt, "LOK™ Silver Point RCA" Homegrown Audio Co. | pure silver audio cables - Products - RCA Connectors looks similar but much better, with solid silver rod or plated in gold and silver.

I was thinking of either the LOK ones or the Conex WBT style connectors at PartsConnexion.

Aug 14, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #4,542 of 16,312
Mine are similar to the HGA Golds. They use the same style zinc plated barrels and gold plated contacts however they're a little longer, the length is more like the Silver Points.

Lol those Nakamichis are definitely fakes, I have a Nakamichi cd player and a Nakamichi tape player but have never seen Nakamichi RCA connectors at any dealer.

Aug 14, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #4,543 of 16,312
Here are some pictures of an Ultrasone HFI 780 mod and re-cable. I added damping material to the driver plates, dynamat to the back of the cups, and put some polyester felt in the cups. The cable is a 4 wire flat Litz braid of Navships 24 AWG silver plated copper in teflon, woven nylon sheath and heat shrink on the y split.

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #4,545 of 16,312
I used zip ties. I had a grand scheme with these little glass beads and heatshrink, but in the end, the zip ties seemed easiest. It would take a pretty good yank to get them to pull out and damage the solder joint. I'm confident with it, and it is a "recommended" method.

Note also that the original single entry hole is pretty big, so I just taped the bottom and face, and filled with 5 minute epoxy. Once cured, I drilled a smaller hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back