DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jul 14, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #14,928 of 16,309
Finished my first-ever cable last night. Lots of lessons learned, my next one will look better for certain. Improved a lot even between the first and second connector, which is why I didn't need the heatshrink tubing the second time. Really a fun hobby, I'm glad I made the investment on decent tools.

My next step is going to be a 3.5mm that terminates to two 2.5mms on the other side for my TH-X00s. Can I use 3-pole 2.5mm connectors as mono?

Jul 15, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #14,929 of 16,309

Finished an Ether C cable.

Mogami W2799 disassembled wire x 8 strands
Sleeved with 95 Paracord
8 strand round braid + 2x 4 strand round braid
Roughly 5 feet
Connectors: Oyaide 3.5mm Rhodium + Ether connectors

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #14,931 of 16,309
  Finished my first-ever cable last night. Lots of lessons learned, my next one will look better for certain. Improved a lot even between the first and second connector, which is why I didn't need the heatshrink tubing the second time. Really a fun hobby, I'm glad I made the investment on decent tools.

My next step is going to be a 3.5mm that terminates to two 2.5mms on the other side for my TH-X00s. Can I use 3-pole 2.5mm connectors as mono?

The spacing is generally off just a bit but it depends on the brand of plug and jack. Most often it does not work well and you end up having to retract the plug just a bit to get it to work. You are much better off just getting mono plugs when you need mono plugs. What brand of tools did you get?

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #14,932 of 16,309
  The spacing is generally off just a bit but it depends on the brand of plug and jack. Most often it does not work well and you end up having to retract the plug just a bit to get it to work. You are much better off just getting mono plugs when you need mono plugs. What brand of tools did you get?

Good to know, thanks! I have some 2.5mm mono jacks on their way.

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #14,933 of 16,309
  The shortest cable I've made so far.

Good job on the build! I have done some similar things were I used large gauge  solid copper wire between the two grounds for rigidity. I then laid the two connectors in a mold and used an acrylic that I could grind and shape afterward.  It is totally solid but you can never open it again so you have to be sure of the wiring before sealing it.

Jul 22, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #14,934 of 16,309
Good stuff guys/gals.

Here's a very short USB cable that's made specifically for my desktop setup.  Data lines are of 22 AWG solid silver core with cotton sheathing followed by black parachord outer sheathing.  Power and ground lines are of 26 AWG 30 strand copper. The set of of lines are separate.  About $25 in raw material cost.  Could be placebo, but I like the results better than the Monoprice USB cable.

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #14,935 of 16,309
  Good stuff guys/gals.

Here's a very short USB cable that's made specifically for my desktop setup.  Data lines are of 22 AWG solid silver core with cotton sheathing followed by black parachord outer sheathing.  Power and ground lines are of 26 AWG 30 strand copper. The set of of lines are separate.  About $25 in raw material cost.  Could be placebo, but I like the results better than the Monoprice USB cable.

Did you happen to use twisted pair on the two center data lines? Just curious if any kind of shielded is needed. Very nice job.

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #14,937 of 16,309
Thanks. I just have the cotton sheathing as the shield, wires are lightly twisted. Forget to mention that I have three rubber grommets to add spacing between the two data cable.

usb_cable_construction.jpg

I have some tinned copper braid about the right size, I generally use some of that and carefully twist the center two pairs. (that is a cheap commercial cable in the pic of course but they have three levels of shielding for the data). I have too many electronic devices close by to not protect the data.
wink_face.gif
 I also solder a drain wire to the shield since the data is susceptible to RFI and EMI.

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #14,938 of 16,309

That looks really nice!

What'd you put on the parts that just come off the drivers? Like it looks like there's a super long section of heat-shrink from the 3.5mm TRS connectors on down to the splitter. This is what cables that come from a factory look like, but I rarely see anything so well in DIY. How'd you do that section? And how flexible and user friendly is it now?

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #14,940 of 16,309
How hard was it to crack open an XBA-4 planning to recable mine as well.

Dont do it, you will not open it without breaking the housing. I think they used pvc as a housing. Very strong, even the glue strong too.
I suggest you just build male 3.5 to 3.5 female (as long I remember XBA4 is detachable at J splitter right?) Use copper cable if you wanna make it sounding warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back