DIY Cable Gallery!!
Dec 18, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #10,816 of 16,305
Quote:
You can buy 3 types of Y splitters, the Viablue's, Qable's and the standard rubber boot leg's. Or you can alternatively make your own Y splitter by heatshrink only or heatshrink over a plastic barrel or so.

Check out Vt4c.com  They are a Hong Kong based company that has an incredible selection of hardware for audio builds, including a number of Ysplits.  Everything I have gotten from them has been of very nice quality at a very reasonable price.  Shipping isn't too bad either.

They have some plain, machined aluminum Y splits in a roughly similar shape to the Viablues for under $4.  They also sell solid silver wire (but not recommended for headphones), cotton or silk sleeving, etc.

Here is one of the aluminum splits next to some HD800 connectors:

And painted black:

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #10,817 of 16,305
Quote:
     They are attached together at all 4 corners, with allen screws and nuts, which will be included. Not the screws shown in the picture below.

The splitters in these picture, are not plated.

Hey!  Even Frank is jumping on the sleeved wire bandwagon.  Though, I'm pretty sure he isn't using paracord :)    

Frank, do you have the weight of the Viablue splits to compare to your new splitter?  It reminds me a little bit of the Locus Design y-split from many years ago (RIP Lee).

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #10,818 of 16,305
Can anyone provide me a link to the braiding technique everyone (including Frank above) are using to braid their four wires? My girlfriend (who does my braiding) has been following a four wire Litz, but they have been coming out flat and look nothing like what I am seeing everyone else do.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #10,819 of 16,305
Quote:
Can anyone provide me a link to the braiding technique everyone (including Frank above) are using to braid their four wires? My girlfriend (who does my braiding) has been following a four wire Litz, but they have been coming out flat and look nothing like what I am seeing everyone else do.

Layout your 4 wires next to each other.  Start with the left most wire and then say outloud, "Over two," while moving it over the next two to its right.  Then, take the outermost right wire and then say out loud, "Over one," while moving it over the one to its left (the one that was just moved from the left).  Next, start with the new left most wire and then say out loud, "Under two," while moving it under the next two to its right.  Then take the outermost right wire and say out loud, "Under one," while moving it under the one to its left (the one that was just moved from the left).  Then repeat the whole process.  "Over two, over one, under two, under one."  Saying it out loud helps keep track of what you should be doing.  It is almost meditative saying it while braiding it, especially for longer runs.

If that brilliant instructional doesn't work, then follow this link for a round braid: http://www.seekyee.com/Slings/howtos/4strand.htm

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #10,820 of 16,305
Quote:
1. I haven't used techflex, but paracord is good on flexibility. Little mechanical noise but if you make it short enough to run from your pocket to your headphones (or whatever) you'll be okay. I've also used plastic weaved pc sleeving (the kind used to sleeve PSUs) and its a lot stiffer and is almost impossible to use because of the mechanical noise it creates. 
1b. I've used type 1 for sleeving individual wires then braiding them. If you want to sleeve a bundle of wires then use type 3 550.
2. not too sure
3. Viablue makes some really nice ones, but a little pricey, just google it for places to buy
4. The best one's I've used are the neutrik gold/black ones (granted I've never spent more than $2 on a connector) but the build quality is very good compared to most cheap connectors. They are a little small though

Thanks! 
28 awg for headphones good?

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #10,821 of 16,305
Quote:

Hey!  Even Frank is jumping on the sleeved wire bandwagon.  Though, I'm pretty sure he isn't using paracord :)    

Frank, do you have the weight of the Viablue splits to compare to your new splitter?  It reminds me a little bit of the Locus Design y-split from many years ago (RIP Lee).

I offering cables with individual wires sleeved last December, under the Toxic brand. There are some pictures on the Audez'e aftermarket cables thread, although it was paracord back then :)

The Viablue Y splitters come in at 13.8g. I based the design of mine on a aluminium iPhone case i have :) I have made mine in 4 different sizes for my cables, although i will only be selling the medium one to start with.

Some new wires now available, from top,

24AWG Cryo OCC Litz Copper in cotton jacket.

18AWG Cryo OCC Silver plated Copper.

18AWG Cryo OCC Copper.

22AWG Cryo OCC Litz Copper 

25.5AWG Cryo OCC Litz Silver with higher then 1% gold content. (not available for DIY)

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #10,822 of 16,305
Quote:

Hold 4 cables like this | | | |

Left goes over two, right over one, left goes under two, right goes under one, repeat for a rounded braid.

Hold 4 cables like this | | |

middle goes under left and goes over, middle goes under right and goes over, repeat fora rounded braid.

Good luck!

Does anyone know if 16 AWG is thick enough for a diy power cord for the Audioengine A5+ speakers?
three conductor 16awg/19 strands each, silver plated copper. one goes to postive, negative, and ground. shielding also goes to ground. (Just wondering whether or not it needs to be thicker)

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #10,823 of 16,305
Quote:
Hold 4 cables like this | | | |

Left goes over two, right over one, left goes under two, right goes under one, repeat for a rounded braid.

Hold 4 cables like this | | |

middle goes under left and goes over, middle goes under right and goes over, repeat fora rounded braid.

Good luck!

Does anyone know if 16 AWG is thick enough for a diy power cord for the Audioengine A5+ speakers?
three conductor 16awg/19 strands each, silver plated copper. one goes to postive, negative, and ground. shielding also goes to ground. (Just wondering whether or not it needs to be thicker)

Only a two conductor cable...  Going thicker than required won't gain you any headroom.  So as long as you match the gauge on the included cable, you should be fine.  If you are doing a long cable, added gauge could be useful.  Mine are packed up right now so I can't verify.  

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #10,825 of 16,305
Quote:
Only a two conductor cable...  Going thicker than required won't gain you any headroom.  So as long as you match the gauge on the included cable, you should be fine.  If you are doing a long cable, added gauge could be useful.  Mine are packed up right now so I can't verify.  

Yes, i know the original non-polarized C7 only uses two conductors. The cable that came with my Audioengine A5+ are 18AWG. 16AWG im guessing should be fine for 4FT long.

How do i do something like this?
http://imageshack.us/a/img525/741/51jakazanilaa1000.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img854/7739/51wjux62tclaa1000.jpg

The cable i use has a ground wire that i can't really remove. So i wish to use it as a mains plug ground.

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #10,828 of 16,305
Quote:
Check out Vt4c.com  They are a Hong Kong based company that has an incredible selection of hardware for audio builds, including a number of Ysplits.  Everything I have gotten from them has been of very nice quality at a very reasonable price.  Shipping isn't too bad either.

They have some plain, machined aluminum Y splits in a roughly similar shape to the Viablues for under $4.  They also sell solid silver wire (but not recommended for headphones), cotton or silk sleeving, etc.

Here is one of the aluminum splits next to some HD800 connectors:

And painted black:

Damn nice, these will come handy for some speaker cable's I'm making, btw what's the weight of these barrels?

NVM found it, weighs in at 20grams.

Wow, they stock of a lot of stuff I've been using for DIY cable's and amp's, some of their stuff is quite expensive, what's the shipping rates?

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #10,829 of 16,305
Shipping via HK Airmail is around $8-9 for packages under a pound.  Took about a week and change to get to the US.  Once you email them your order, they send you an invoice with the different shipping options.

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #10,830 of 16,305
Quote:
Shipping via HK Airmail is around $8-9 for packages under a pound.  Took about a week and change to get to the US.  Once you email them your order, they send you an invoice with the different shipping options.

Cool, have you tried any of their pre-braided cables for other uses besides for headphones, i.e. IC's, speaker/power cables etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back