Discovering the Shure SE425
Jan 31, 2016 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Oromis

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on headfi, though I have been following these forums for over two years and finally decided to create a post.

I'd like to mention that this isn't my first purchase, but I am here because of the SE425s mainly to share my experience and to especially help others to rediscover(or discover) them. While this might sound like a review, I don't really intend it to be one.

Getting to the topic at hand, ah the Shure SE425s. I got these just three days ago, coincidentally the day Dream Theater's new album came out, as if fate had planned it all. Ironically though, I haven't been able to listen to the album yet.

My first impressions were of frustration. I couldn't figure out how to get these to sit in my left ear (so much for ambidexterity) and after I finally did, I switched on my phone and expected to be blown away, BUT I was just horrified. So horrified I forgot left and right, up and down. Nothing was sounding the way it should. At that point, even my 20$ denons were sounding better. It was perhaps the most disappointed feeling I've experienced, to see 300$ blown away by wind and more so that build up of expectations to be just wrecked. Instantly. I could swear it was emotional turmoil.

I then immediately stopped listening and went through the manual and was extremely surprised to find that Shure had taken note of people complaining about low frequency response, the solution being a perfect seal. It was literally a glimmer of hope.

Removing those tips was a real pain in the neck. I simply could not remove them as instructed. The fact that they were foam and I had put them in my ears prior made them un-gripppable. I eventually used my t-shirt to hold them and did the same twist and pull motion, and voila. It came out with ease. I've specifically mentioned this just so people who own shure earphones won't have to worry again abut changing tips.

I then proceeded to try out each size and type of eartips provided, methodically eliminating them by listening to a song I was very well accustomed to (the count of Tuscany). I do want to mention that the material that shure has used made my ears burn. Literally, as if I'm allergic to them. Luckily, I got a set of free comply tx-100s that fit me perfectly.

Also I forgot to mention that I didn't know that the foam tips had to be pressed and allowed to expand in your ears for ten seconds before usage. The manual helped me there and dramatically improved the fit.

There was an immediate jump in sound quality, it was noticeably huge. It was still nothing worth the money. The mids and highs were majorly better. Sound was still flat and vocals were harsh. Especially during exhales and inhales, the ssssss sound really kills. I was still dissatisfied, so decided to call it a day and went to bed.

The next day was much better, the details started to surface. I noticed that separation was really good. And electronic sounds like the synth and guitar sounded extremely pleasing, this is where the earphones really shine. I've used the word pleasing specifically because I can't use other words like crisp or mellow, simply because it sounded exactly like how it should. Marvellous. Satriani was a real joy to listen to.

By now I was satisfied with them. They seemed to be worth their price tag. They sounded exactly like everyone else has described them to be, great mids and pretty good highs and a bit lacking on bass and lows. I was telling myself, damn they're good. And I was convinced that the room for improvement was finally over.

UNTIL today. I was just twisting these in my ears, wondering which position would make the cables easier to route over my ear. It's as if they suddenly fit into place, like how a right sized spanner grips a bolt. It felt right. Not uncomfortable but not comfortable either.

Instinctively, I proceeded to play a song. I was absolutely BLOWN away. The sound no more originated from my ears but as if from points on my face. I could literally feel the sensation in my eyes and especially somewhere between the roof of my mouth and lower brain. It was surreal. I almost started to salivate. I'm by no means exaggerating . The difference between the low frequency response and bass now and prior to this was literally disjointed . The lows were superb. Heck it's better than its fabled mids! The bass is ample and nowhere near low but not so much you'll get earwax.

Every song I listened to (after that) gave me goosebumps. Although I can't feel the same sensation on my face every single song. I do think I'll ever look back now. Money well spent.

I'd like to mention specially that the timbre of acoustic instruments is lacking. For me they're as good as absent. The sound is there as it should be, but it's like food without smell. This could also be because my HD558s have spoilt me there. Also, the cymbals on drums have the absolute worst sound possible. These are the only two problems I see.

I hope that people who have read this, especially those who feel base is low and lows aren't great get the most out of their pair and also the people who plan on buying one absolutely go for it(if you're not too acoustic centric that is).

PS:

Please do give me feedback if possible. I spent quite some time on this one :p. Also the device I used for listening was my one plus 2. I have owned the HD558s, Klipsch S4 and a few other cheap in ears such as the cx300 if you were wondering.

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #2 of 5
Everyone talks about burn-in, and while I agree that it exists to an extent, I think getting yourself used to the headphones is much more important. I've just bought the SE425, and I've liked them more every time I try them. I think I've still got to get used to them a bit, and I hope to use them more over the next few days to do so. Glad to hear you like the SE425, and I hope they can grow on me a bit more as well.

Edit: I saw you were looking for a DAP; I use the Fiio X1 with the Fiio E12A amp, and it sounds wonderful; I can also say the X3ii sounds great, but I haven't compared side by side.

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 5
Everyone talks about burn-in, and while I agree that it exists to an extent, I think getting yourself used to the headphones is much more important. I've just bought the SE425, and I've liked them more every time I try them. I think I've still got to get used to them a bit, and I hope to use them more over the next few days to do so. Glad to hear you like the SE425, and I hope they can grow on me a bit more as well.

Edit: I saw you were looking for a DAP; I use the Fiio X1 with the Fiio E12A amp, and it sounds wonderful; I can also say the X3ii sounds great, but I haven't compared side by side.

You are absolutely right. You get a taste of true brilliance once your ears are done adapting.

How long has it been since you got yours? Did you get the proper fit? I do hope you enjoy them.

Also, thank you for the suggestion, though would an amp be necessary, considering the low impedance?

OP, I don't see burn in mentioned here. You got used to the sound. No offence.

Haha none taken, in fact, I'm one of those "I don't believe in burn in" guys. I definitely got used to the sound. You are impeccably correct.

And while burn in might exist, like stated above, it's more of a placebo effect is what I've always felt.

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 5
You are absolutely right. You get a taste of true brilliance once your ears are done adapting.

How long has it been since you got yours? Did you get the proper fit? I do hope you enjoy them.

Also, thank you for the suggestion, though would an amp be necessary, considering the low impedance?

I got mine this past Wednesday, and unfortunately I haven't had a ton of time with them. I had SE215s and used the medium Olives normally, so I didn't have to even change the tips (SE425 comes with medium Olives on). I am enjoying them so far, but I do need to listen to them a bit more. An amp really isn't necessary at all, but I love the sound of the E12A and I generally use the bass boost with my SR80i and SE425. I needed an amp for my record player and I figured I'd get the E12A, having read good reviews and being interested in getting some higher impedence headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back