Disappointed in the "audiophile" community...
Dec 16, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #46 of 71
  Excuse me... could you make some pedagogy please ?
How do you see the distortion in the spectral decay ?

You look at the curve at 0 ms, where it says -35 dB, suss out how much the curve differs from a flat line and that's your distortion in what is potentially the most important facet of sound quality, the frequency response.

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #47 of 71

You look at the curve at 0 ms, where it says -35 dB, suss out how much the curve differs from a flat line and that's your distortion in what is potentially the most important facet of sound quality, the frequency response.

And what do you think of my last CIEM (be indulgent please... it is a in-ear thing) and it's me
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #49 of 71
When we are at the impressionable age of 16 we walk into our friends den to see the Father listening to a bit of Classical on a giant system. What is this? This is an audiophile on a journey.

Wow we can't afford a rig like that he must know what he is doing.

Ya, the Son says. It re-creates the sound of live music. Oh he thinks he is listening to live music? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

40 years later we ourselves sit and listen to the same type of rig, maybe digital. Nothing has ever changed, Hi-FI is Hi-Fi and it never really sounded like live music. We knew that at 16, but still chose to chase the illusion.

Another 40 years from now someone will wonder if Hi-FI is treble-centric.

True...

...but that illusion works better than this illusion:

...or this one...

...or these ones...

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #56 of 71
True...

...or this one...

...or these ones...

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

The final illusion is when your conducting the stereo in real-time. The musicians now change pace and volume to your every hand movement.

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #57 of 71

Sorry, i always need truer lies to keep the illusion alive... it's so... human.

It's not bad. You can use EQ to force the response flat at the microphone and see what happens to the decay.

Thanks
etysmile.gif

Here you can see a 50Hz sine wave... 20ms

Could you place this sine wave on the CSD please ?

On which axis will you place it ?

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #58 of 71
^Not sure why you'd do that. Here's what I'd like you to do.

Faster decay as you approach a flatter response at a given point with digital filtering.

Another way to use digital filters to improve sound quality - for those who don't believe in it - is this.

Unfiltered left, filtered right. Though to be fair, this doesn't work with all types of ringing and can be sensitive to positioning.

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #59 of 71
  ^Not sure why you'd do that. Here's what I'd like you to do.

Faster decay as you approach a flatter response at a given point with digital filtering.

Another way to use digital filters to improve sound quality - for those who don't believe in it - is this.

Unfiltered left, filtered right. Though to be fair, this doesn't work with all types of ringing and can be sensitive to positioning.

Ok, i was thinking that you expected a faster decay in the lows...
rolleyes.gif

I can't use equalizers or digitial filters with my test rig... but i always focus my passive filters equalizations on the most sensitive part of the spectrum.
2ms spikes after 10K are not in my critical zone (125 et 8 000 Hz), and the 3K spike is REAG compensation.

And i'm agree that spikes in that zone can be atrocious, yes, yes and yes !

True...

...or this one...

...or these ones...

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

The final illusion is when your conducting the stereo in real-time. The musicians now change pace and volume to your every hand movement.

The final illusion is what the sound engineer do on the mastering process !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back