disappointed by Zu Druids, what next?
Oct 24, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #16 of 19
An equalizer will help you get your bass back. Chances are it's being sucked up into the upholstery of your couch or the carpet on the floor. You can correct for that with careful equalization.

See ya
Steve

Oct 24, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #17 of 19
That must be the most ridiculous frequency respones that i've ever seen. Looks like a 20$ pair of PC-speakers (with the subwoofer switched off).
Are these things really 4000 bucks? That's gross.

After all, i don't think it's a very good idea spending this much money on a speaker without beeing able to test how it behaves in the room it will be placed. By far the most important influence on SQ with speakers.

These things don't look like they will respond well to eq either.

Oct 27, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #18 of 19
they are $2800 new
with all the negative press regarding the frequency response i dont notice any glaring flaws when they are toed in to the listening seat and the spikes are at the correct height, the transparancy of the Druids is amazing. since they are single driver the mids and highs blend seemlessly and speakers actually disappear, and with just a few watts they fill the room. its just the rolloff on the low bass that is disappointing but with one 10" driver i should have expected it. i would like stereo bass so a single powered sub is not an option now and i dont want to spend another $1000-1500 on a sub either.

after considering the situation i am probibly going to sell the Druids, i have two pair of Gallo Nucleus Micro which are decent and should get me by for awhile. when i can afford it i will be seriously considering a pair of Zu Definitions, a second fullrange driver and 2 powered subs for each channel would be ridiculous.

also to answer brailledivers question i am located in New Jersey just outside of Philadelphia, i am sending the Aleph30 back to Pass for a refresh on Monday and i have a Clari-t in the meantime. Pass quoted me a 3-4 week downtime but once the Aleph comes back i could maybe host a mini-meet, i wont be listing the Druids for sale for another couple months and i wont be selling the Aleph, if anyone is interested in bringing over a pair of K1000 to try with this setup just LMK, i would love to hear them.

Oct 27, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #19 of 19
Hi Euclid,
If you lived in California my rec. would be easy to find but as your on the East coast, it may be harder. Look for a pair of ESS Monitors in good condition. They are about 91-92dB. These will give you bass, in fact they will show you just how little progress has been made in speaker design in a long time. I'm not sure about your amp though, perhaps they need something with more welly. There was a problem with the AMTs - the mid/high units when used with under powered amps.

If you do go for a more powerful amp, do try a pair of these you may well be surprised. I have a pair of the 'grand Heil AMTs' but it's proving really hard to find the right kind of 15" woofer to use with them.

The comments about using the Zu Druids with valve amps is spot on, that really does apply to all single driver speakers - oh yes good valve amps do do bass and better than ss.

Stuart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back