Disappointed about RE-262s. Probably my own fault for not doing enough research.
Jan 14, 2012 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Teleute

Head-Fier
I hope everyone is having a good day.

I recently just purchased an RE-262 after days of reading threads and reviews about it in this forums.  I must say that that I was pretty disappointed when I tried it out.  The most accurate way to describe it for me is it sounded really flat especially when listening to rock music.  I am still in the burn-in process (about 40 hours in) so I think there might be a little improvement if I go through it but I'm really skeptical about it now.

There are other factors that I am considering that might contribute to my disappointment.

- It's a high impedance low efficiency IEM's so maybe I really need an amp to drive it.  Using it with an iPod Nano 5G and a Samsang Galaxy s2.

- The music I listen to doesn't really shine when using these IEMs because it emphasizes on mid (but I really didn't thought that this much emphasis on mid would make everything else flat).  But I listen to a REALLY wide variety of music.  From Avenged Sevenfold to Michael Buble.  Pendulum to Maroon 5.  Linkin Park to Nat King Cole.  J-Cole to Taylor Swift.  I would say though that 70% of what listen to are rock.

- Maybe the pair that I got is defective?

I really need some advise guys.  Did I make the wrong purchase for the kind of music that I listen to?  Or do I just have to get the right equipment (amp) and go through the burn-in process.  Because right now the new Shure SE215s are really tempting.  I can answer any questions that are needed

Thank you for everyone's help in advance.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 32
These may not be the IEM for you. I'm in love with my RE-262 though. They really do need an amp to shine and didn't sound good out of the box so I would suggest you get an amp and burn them in for at least 50 hours.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #3 of 32

Quote:
These may not be the IEM for you. I'm in love with my RE-262 though. They really do need an amp to shine and didn't sound good out of the box so I would suggest you get an amp and burn them in for at least 50 hours.

Thanks for the reply.

I have no problems in buying an amp as was planning to buy one soon enough anyway.  Was thinking of the portable Fiio E11

So you are basing your judgment based on the genre of music I'm listening to correct?

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #4 of 32
Yea you really need an amp, with an impedance of 150ohms your sources just can't push them enough to have'em sound any good.  The E11 would work well.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 32

Quote:
Yea you really need an amp, with an impedance of 150ohms your sources just can't push them enough to have'em sound any good.  The E11 would work well.

Thanks.

When I amp this would it sound nice with rock music with heavily distorted guitars?  Bodies from Drowning Pool as an example

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #6 of 32
I'm using them with the Fiio E7 right now and it drives them fine, but they really do need an amp to shine. I'm basing my judgment of the fact that sound signature is personal preference. 70% of what I listen to is some form of metal and I'm in love with the RE-262 :D

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #7 of 32
Thanks for the input.

I think I'm gonna go ahead and grab the Fioo E11.  I hope it won't be disappointed anymore..

Now if only I could grab those in retail stores here in Canada...

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #8 of 32

Quote:
I hope everyone is having a good day.

I recently just purchased an RE-262 after days of reading threads and reviews about it in this forums.  I must say that that I was pretty disappointed when I tried it out.  The most accurate way to describe it for me is it sounded really flat especially when listening to rock music.  I am still in the burn-in process (about 40 hours in) so I think there might be a little improvement if I go through it but I'm really skeptical about it now.

There are other factors that I am considering that might contribute to my disappointment.

- It's a high impedance low efficiency IEM's so maybe I really need an amp to drive it.  Using it with an iPod Nano 5G and a Samsang Galaxy s2.

- The music I listen to doesn't really shine when using these IEMs because it emphasizes on mid (but I really didn't thought that this much emphasis on mid would make everything else flat).  But I listen to a REALLY wide variety of music.  From Avenged Sevenfold to Michael Buble.  Pendulum to Maroon 5.  Linkin Park to Nat King Cole.  J-Cole to Taylor Swift.  I would say though that 70% of what listen to are rock.

- Maybe the pair that I got is defective?

I really need some advise guys.  Did I make the wrong purchase for the kind of music that I listen to?  Or do I just have to get the right equipment (amp) and go through the burn-in process.  Because right now the new Shure SE215s are really tempting.  I can answer any questions that are needed

Thank you for everyone's help in advance.

You're not alone..  I found that they do well with acoustic, classical, some jazz, most country and softer rock (Chicago, Eagles), but they do nothing for me with hard rock, metal, pop, etc.. Mine were burned in for 100+ hours and are powered by my iBasso D4.   They have a place in my inventory, but they won't ever be my "one for all" IEM.

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #9 of 32

Quote:
You're not alone..  I found that they do well with acoustic, classical, some jazz, most country and softer rock (Chicago, Eagles), but they do nothing for me with hard rock, metal, pop, etc.. Mine were burned in for 100+ hours and are powered by my iBasso D4.   They have a place in my inventory, but they won't ever be my "one for all" IEM.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I listen to a ton of hard rock so I guess that would be a problem.  What would you honestly suggest as a good "all around" IEMs the around the same price point?

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #10 of 32

Quote:

I listen to a ton of hard rock so I guess that would be a problem.  What would you honestly suggest as a good "all around" IEMs the around the same price point?

I listen to pretty much rock only, from Iced Earth to Neil Young, and I've been really happy with the JVC HA-FTX90.  Enjoy them a lot more than I liked the Etymotic HF5.  The only other IEM everyone recommends in the price range is the Vsonic GR07, really itching to get a listen of that.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #11 of 32
Im not normally listen to rock, but ever since i've had my yamaha EPH100's i find myself enjoying it.

They just play rock really nicely, so that's another option for you.

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #12 of 32

Quote:

I like my Sony's, but they aren't the most comfortable IEM's, they never really "disappear" when they are in your ears.  I'm considering the JVC's next, they supposedly have more bite. 

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #13 of 32
I've got the RE262's and I think they can do metal and hard rock quite well... with the right amp.  They are 150 ohms with 95db's of sensitivity, so they are pretty hard to properly drive.  I just received my O2 amp today and I'm very impressed how well they sound with it.

That being said, if you're wanting to try something else that doesn't require an amp and excels with metal but is also a very good all rounder, I'd recommend the JVC FXT90.  It has excellent dynamics and timbre, with a mid centric signature and very good extension both ways.

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #14 of 32

Quote:
I've got the RE262's and I think they can do metal and hard rock quite well... with the right amp.  They are 150 ohms with 95db's of sensitivity, so they are pretty hard to properly drive.  I just received my O2 amp today and I'm very impressed how well they sound with it.

That being said, if you're wanting to try something else that doesn't require an amp and excels with metal but is also a very good all rounder, I'd recommend the JVC FXT90.  It has excellent dynamics and timbre, with a mid centric signature and very good extension both ways.

Thank you very much for the info.

As per your comment, you said that it's going to be pretty hard to drive.  Do you think the Fiio E11 would be right for the job because that's the one I'm planning to get.

I'm curious though.  What is this "O2" amp?

Thanks again

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #15 of 32
The e11 is plenty powerful enough. I haven't listened to it myself but based on specs it should do well. ClieOS would be a great reference for e11 synergy with the re262. 

The O2, or Objective 2, is a DIY amp that is also assembled and sold by JDS labs. Assembled it is double the e11 but can be built yourself for pretty cheap.  It is designed to rival much more expensive amps. I'm using it via line out my iPhone 4 and  nano 6g. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back