Dirty headphone jacks--What's the damage?
Jul 11, 2009 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Rainbow Randy

Formerly known as Chicomm4
I've been thinking a lot lately about all the places my man hands have been when gripping my headphone jacks. Sure, I could wash them 15 times a day, but the pores would still secrete oil!

Anyways, there's a never-ending war going on between cleanliness and our headphone jacks. Skin oils, mucus, urine, and feces are constantly being transmitted from our hands to the headphone jacks, and from them to the innards of our iPods, amps, and CD players.

What's more, these contaminants are coating the jacks and thereby degrading the signal. Ladies and gentlemen, we are well and truly ****ed.

Jul 11, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 17
MoreYouKnow.jpg

Seriously though, I doubt our oils cause any real degradation during the nominal life of headphones/amps.

Jul 11, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #4 of 17
Uh............... putting aside the absolute ridiculousness of this post, if dirt on your jacks bothers you so much, just handle them by the plastic part. Don't touch the metal. Wow there are some weird threads tonite

Jul 11, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by invisiman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MoreYouKnow.jpg

Seriously though, I doubt our oils cause any real degradation during the nominal life of headphones/amps.

hahaa like the pic

Jul 11, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by invisiman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://hardwarelogic.com/articles/blogs/Website_Reviews_and_You/MoreYouKnow.jpg

I suppose the BEST method would be to solder our headphone wires directly to the amp's output...

Jul 11, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose the BEST method would be to solder our headphone wires directly to the amp's output...

But then we might have to contend with the issue of latent moisture in the air. Unless we insulate/seal those connections as well, making it an even greater pain to change headphones. Maybe we should stick all of our gear in a vacuum sealed chamber, accessible only after we've undergone a thorough chemical cleansing.

You know... to keep away signal degradation.

Jul 11, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #8 of 17
maybe we should wash our hands after handling feces.

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiComm4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been thinking a lot lately about all the places my man hands have been when gripping my headphone jacks. Sure, I could wash them 15 times a day, but the pores would still secrete oil!

Anyways, there's a never-ending war going on between cleanliness and our headphone jacks. Skin oils, mucus, urine, and feces are constantly being transmitted from our hands to the headphone jacks, and from them to the innards of our iPods, amps, and CD players.

What's more, these contaminants are coating the jacks and thereby degrading the signal. Ladies and gentlemen, we are well and truly ****ed.

Dude where the heck have your hands been?

Wait I think I don't want to know. Disregard that.

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #14 of 17
mucus and urine on ur hands... my good sir what ARE you doin IN the can with your cans??
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #15 of 17
Oh man, I've been encountering the funniest threads on the internet today.
beyersmile.png
Thanks for putting a smile on my face with the hilarious nature of this post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back