Dilema of a starving student...?
Mar 16, 2010 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

SillyHoney

500+ Head-Fier
Edit: Plz never mind about the title
frown.gif

Well sorry about my wallet first
biggrin.gif

I'm looking into STAX world these days and I'm kinda interested in SRS 2050II. So can you guys help me a little bit on that?

Background: I currently have a D7000 and DT880/600 Manufaktur. My future amp will be Woo 6 (I tested one for 3-4 days) and DAC will likely be DacMagic or something else around $200-$400. Now I just power my 2 cans w/ my Denon receiver. I mostly listen to Blues, Acoustic and Hard Rock. I also listen to other stuff like R&B and Alternative but I don't really care about them. I love lively vocals, detail, soundstage and instrument sepration.

My price range for STAX system is around $500-$1,000 but if I go STAX I need to compromise at least one of my dynamic cans.

So what do you guys recommend me? A 2050II system and let go one of my two cans? Will I ever look back?

Other than 2050II, what is the other options of STAX I should consider?

With STAX, will I have experiences that no dynamic headphones can bring to me?

Thank you guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #2 of 13
A student owning a D7000 is against the law. I am jealous of you
tongue.gif

People here like vintage STAX. Of the current production, the SRS4040 grabs attention too, of course not to say the SR-007. I have yet to try all these, but I am interested in the SRS2050 for home setup.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #4 of 13
That's all money I earned from doing a part time job at school lol.

I work at a university food service chain so food is not my concern
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #7 of 13
Starving student? My ass. : )

Kids these days... they have no idea.
Sighs... pours himself another beer, and remembers his fine old UBC days.

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hahahhaha wheres the starving student b/c hes not here !

lol probably a tongue in cheek hyperbole if not at all.

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 13
If there's a starving student around here it's ME.

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #12 of 13
Err... I will edit the title ok? I'm a student and I have to save a lot for those cans. Actually I sold my gaming laptop and get a netbook instead. I eat less. I don't have any amp and DAC yet beside a cheap Denon AVR-589 receiver. And I bought a D7000 cheap in the first place. So plz stop bashing me on that
tongue.gif

Thank you guys for your replies but I'm still looking forward to more informative posts
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: Plz never mind about the title
frown.gif

Well sorry about my wallet first
biggrin.gif

I'm looking into STAX world these days and I'm kinda interested in SRS 2050II. So can you guys help me a little bit on that?

Background: I currently have a D7000 and DT880/600 Manufaktur. My future amp will be Woo 6 (I tested one for 3-4 days) and DAC will likely be DacMagic or something else around $200-$400. Now I just power my 2 cans w/ my Denon receiver. I mostly listen to Blues, Acoustic and Hard Rock. I also listen to other stuff like R&B and Alternative but I don't really care about them. I love lively vocals, detail, soundstage and instrument sepration.

My price range for STAX system is around $500-$1,000 but if I go STAX I need to compromise at least one of my dynamic cans.

So what do you guys recommend me? A 2050II system and let go one of my two cans? Will I ever look back?

Other than 2050II, what is the other options of STAX I should consider?

With STAX, will I have experiences that no dynamic headphones can bring to me?

Thank you guys
smily_headphones1.gif

I owned the STAX 2050 system so I'm very familar with it. The SR-202 headphones are very good and give you 90% of the sound quality of the SR-404 headphones. The amp in the 2050 system is the limiting factor and doesn't have quite enough power to realize the full potential of the 202s. I bought an old STAX SRM-3 amp and the 202s sounded great with it. I got a good deal on 404s so I sold the Stax 2050 system.

I would recommend looking for older STAX Lambda headphones and an older STAX amp. There are normal bias (older) and pro bias (newer) headphones, so you have to make sure the headphones & amp are compatible. You should be able to find headphones and an amp. for approx. $500.

Keep in mind that the STAX sound is different from dynamic headphones. The bass is different in that it doesn't have the slam that some dynamic headphones have. However, I'm somewhat of a bass head and I love their sound and I'm completely satisfied with the bass. Vocals are clear and lively, tons of detail and smooth extended highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back