Digitize my vinyls...
Jan 28, 2022 at 9:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Gilberto 62

100+ Head-Fier
Good afternoon everyone. First of all, forgive me if the question I am going to expose does not correspond to this subforum.
You see, I want to digitize my vinyls to add them to my digital library and, incidentally, preserve them from the passage of time. I have located two devices that would serve me for this purpose, the difference between the two (Tascam both) is that one can record up to 24/96 and the other up to 24/192 and even further, up to DSD64. I think I should buy the latter, the one that goes all the way up to Hi-Res, but would prefer someone with experience digitizing vinyl to advise me.
Thanks for any response and greetings to all...:thinking:

Feb 4, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 6
Hey, no experience digitizing vinyl. But I don't know that most people would hear a difference between 96 and 192, and our ears aren't getting any better. Just my opinion.

Feb 5, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 6
I have a lot of digitalized vinyl. I got them from a friend actually. I recommend 24/192. You can hear the difference from 24/96 with the right components. I think of it this way. Vinyl is a straight line:

—————————————————-

24/96 is a straight line with breaks, where the breaks are what is recorded to digital:

—/—/—/—/—/—/—/—/—/—/—/

24/192 is a straight line with more breaks, meaning you are hearing more of the original vinyl’s straight line

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

I’m order to approximate vinyl, which has no breaks, you need a copy that has more of that straight line. 192 gives you that.

The reason to digitize vinyl is to approximate the benefits of vinyl, and that is a more continuous sound compared to digital

Ideally you would want the highest resolution, when dealing with vinyl. You want it to not sound compressed at all (something like 24/768):

//////////////////////////////////////////////

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #4 of 6
96 allows you to record frequencies up to 48 kHz, 192 up to 96 kHz
Vinyl is probably able to reproduce up to 25 kHz.

The problem with DSD is that it is not an editable format. If you want to do de-clicking or any other audio edit, you must convert to PCM first.
DSD64 contains audio information up to 22 kHz, then the quantization noise takes over.

24 bit is a must as it gives you sufficient headroom.

Feb 6, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #5 of 6
I have located two devices that would serve me for this purpose, the difference between the two (Tascam both) is that one can record up to 24/96 and the other up to 24/192 and even further, up to DSD64.
As commercial vinyl recordings have roughly equivalent digital resolution as around a 32kHz sample rate and fewer than 10 bits, then clearly the first one is already way more than is needed.
24/96 is a straight line with breaks, where the breaks are what is recorded to digital:
No, there are no "breaks" in digital audio, a CONTINUOUS waveform (without breaks) is what is reproduced.
[1] Ideally you would want the highest resolution, when dealing with vinyl. [2] You want it to not sound compressed at all (something like 24/768):
1. No, you just need a digital resolution that is greater than the practical resolution of vinyl. 16/44 easily covers that.
2. Digital audio recording/reproduction does NOT "compress" anything, unless you actually add a compressor plug-in/unit of course.

G

Feb 7, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #6 of 6
Good afternoon everyone. First of all, forgive me if the question I am going to expose does not correspond to this subforum.
You see, I want to digitize my vinyls to add them to my digital library and, incidentally, preserve them from the passage of time. I have located two devices that would serve me for this purpose, the difference between the two (Tascam both) is that one can record up to 24/96 and the other up to 24/192 and even further, up to DSD64. I think I should buy the latter, the one that goes all the way up to Hi-Res, but would prefer someone with experience digitizing vinyl to advise me.
Thanks for any response and greetings to all...:thinking:
Maybe a little more information on your Vinyl replay system and the LP’s you’re contemplating digitising, current commercial releases, older recordings or any from specialty companies ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back