Digital & Analogue Audio Logic
Feb 9, 2006 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Juergen

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone here ever dealt with Digital & Analogue Audio Logic ( http://www.digitalanaloguediy.com/ )? They have a chassis that would be perfect for my DynaHi. Ordering is via E-mail. I e-mailed some questions on 1/29 and immediately got an auto-response stating that he is out till 2/3 and will respond after that. I sent another e-mail on 2/4 with no response (auto or otherwise). I also phoned and left a message a couple days ago. I know I'm being impatient but I'm dying to use my DynaHi. I can use it in its current state but only temporarilly because my sources are in the family room where younger 'family' might get electrocuted by open wiring and live parts
eek.gif
. I have to move the loose assembly of parts and carefully reconnect the i/o for each listening session. Anyway, just curious if they are still doing business at all
confused.gif

Feb 9, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 12
they look similar to the ones sold at THL Audio, you might want to try contacting THL Audio. they're really quick with their responses.

Feb 9, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyskraper
they look similar to the ones sold at THL Audio, you might want to try contacting THL Audio. they're really quick with their responses.

I had been looking at those but they were slightly shorter than I was looking for. It might still work though since thier chassis is wider (I want to make room for a future SA).

Thanks

Feb 9, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 12
I had been looking at those chassis also (and also for a Dynahi). Let us know how it goes, as these look almost perfect for that application, are very nice looking and the pricing seems to be good for what you get.

I know there was a poster 6+ months ago on audioasylum asking the DIY crowd if there would be a market for nice chassis, etc., and I suggested that they also post here on head-fi, which they did.

BTW, which chassis were you interested in?

Chris

Feb 9, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars
...BTW, which chassis were you interested in?

This is the one ( http://www.digitalanaloguediy.com/entry100.html ).

I have inquired at THL about the PRAL-2 ( http://www.thlaudio.com/casebpwrE.htm ) but have not heard anything yet.

My plan is to send the front panel to Front Panel Express. The front panels mentioned above are quite nice and I save about $25 on material by providing my own (minus shipping to FPE). Hopefully I will here from someone soon.

Feb 10, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 12
Those look pretty decent. I was looking at some of their other cases also, like the all aluminum ones.

The thing that worried me about the digital analogue case was the top and sides appeared to be one piece, which would be a problem if you wanted to mount external heatsinks (like the Conrad ones) on the sides.

Thanks for the pointer MisterX!

Chris

Feb 10, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juergen
...it has to be shipped from Hong Kong so the price will likely double ...

S&H:
Air - $65 USD (approx. 1 week)
Surface - $43 USD (approx. 6 weeks)

Also, the power button/switch is included and the lettering on the front plate can be removed ("by gasoline")

Quote:

...mount external heatsinks (like the Conrad ones) on the sides ...

Have you seen steinchen's Dynahi? ( http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...&postcount=892 )

Feb 13, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 12
Update: Up until this morning I hadn't heard back from digitalanaloguediy, THL or Par Metals so I decided to call Par Metals. For a Series 20, 16"Wx16"Dx4"H case and handles it would come to around $85 total w/ shipping. They no longer have the thicker front panel options (.18, .25" & .375) so the front panel would be .125" thick. Also, it would take 3 weeks to build.

As soon as I got off the phone I got an e-mail from THL. The PRAL-2 case would cost around $130 shipped. They suggest using the fax order form for security reasons. Unfortunately the number is local to Taiwan which could get complicated if I have to use the office fax machine.

I'll probably go with Par Metals

Feb 13, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Update: Up until this morning I hadn't heard back from digitalanaloguediy, THL or Par Metals so I decided to call Par Metals. For a Series 20, 16"Wx16"Dx4"H case and handles it would come to around $85 total w/ shipping. They no longer have the thicker front panel options (.18, .25" & .375) so the front panel would be .125" thick. Also, it would take 3 weeks to build.

Hmm, don't like to hear that (no thick front panels). The Series 20 case that I have for my Dynalo has the same issue as the digitalanaloguediy one in that the top/sides are one piece, making externally mounted heatsinks somewhat challenging. From your previous post, the diyclub case would be $37.50 + $65 for shipping?

Quote:

As soon as I got off the phone I got an e-mail from THL. The PRAL-2 case would cost around $130 shipped. They suggest using the fax order form for security reasons. Unfortunately the number is local to Taiwan which could get complicated if I have to use the office fax machine.

I'll probably go with Par Metals

There is an Aussie vendor (can't recall who off the top of my head) that has some cases similar to some of the DIYclub ones (skyscraper, etc. could probably clue you in as to who it is). Seemed to be a good price, but shipping might run about as much as Taiwan.

Feb 13, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Hmm, don't like to hear that (no thick front panels).

Me neither. I plan on recessing my neutrik jack 2.3 mm to be flush. I did that with my PPA, but that panel was 4 mm thick. The Par Metal panel is .125" thick (3.17 mm) leaving .87mm of material. With milling tolerances I'm not sure if that will work.

Quote:

...the diyclub case would be $37.50 + $65 for shipping?

Yes

Quote:

...There is an Aussie vendor (can't recall who off the top of my head) that has some cases similar to some of the DIYclub ones

I can't believe I forgot to mention that one: ( http://www.diyfidelity.com.au/index....440c66938e0250 ). For the "Medium Power Amp Metal Chassis (Black)" I was quoted $64 AUD ($47 USD) additional for shipping.

BTW, I ended up ordering the Par Metals case. Now I get to wait.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back