Differences between Ultrasone Pro and HFi lines? + Gaming headphone requests.
Mar 31, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #2 of 6
Hello!

Not sure about the Ultrasone but I like HD439 for gaming XD It have what is needed for gaming although I don't game much XD

Hope this help!
Billson :)

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks, I have not even looked at the HD439. How is the soundstage on them? I have heard the HD 558s - Do you know how they compare?  I am assuming since they are closed back they have more bass.

Mar 31, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Thanks, I have not even looked at the HD439. How is the soundstage on them? I have heard the HD 558s - Do you know how they compare?  I am assuming since they are closed back they have more bass.

The soundstage is surprisingly wide for closed! Bass are pretty strong and tight. Even better controlled if you can pair it with a better amp. A very cheap amp will do. Not sure about the HD558, but the HD518 produces more bass but less tight also a lot of sibilants to me. HD598 on the other hand lacks bass for basshead, forward mids. 

Hope this help! 
Billson :)

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the info.   I am still interested in the Ultrasone brand and was hoping that someone might know the differences between the Pro and HFI lines.  I am very interested in t S-logic surround sound design...as I want something with the bass of a closed headphone, yet interested in a good sound stage and imagery.  That is what attracted me to the Ultrasone brand as they claim both of those characteristics.

So far, I have found that the HFI is targeted for the average listener, and the Pro line is targeted for Pro's...(makes sense), but what exactly does that mean?  They seem to all have similar specs and the S-logic surround sound design.  But I am failing to find any differences other than the name, price, and small cosmetic differences.  Nothing on sound quality. 

I am assuming that the Pros are technically better, but would love it if someone that has owned or heard both lines could can tell me why I should pay more for the Pro line.

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #6 of 6
Here is some info about some Ultrasone line differences. LazBro 123 replied to me in a different thread and thought I would quote him on this thread, as it gave me some answers.  He starts off by informing me about his experience with PRO 900.

LazBro 123 quote:
  "I have used my 900 for gaming. It's really good for that purpose. Great imaging. Great soundstage, sounds pretty open to me. Your sound card will drive them fine. I got a nice HifiMan EF2A Tube Amp/DAC for my PRO 900, and they really, really benefit from it. Sound is much warmer, and the bass is even tighter, deeper and gains impact, mids are brought out a bit, and the highs are smoother. They even sound fine straight out of a computer or out of an iPod, it's just you're not getting their full potential. If you're a basshead (like me), the PRO 900 are definitely worth the money. I also have an HFI 580, and the PRO 900 is a HUGE step up. The 580 sounds tinny in comparison, less bass and not as defined, harsh upper mids (lower mids are their strong point), and unbearable highs. Less detail as well, and sounds artificial (colored). The DJ1 is an HFI 580 (A bit louder because of the 101 db vs 104 db sensitivity, but the exact same headphone), and the DJ1 PRO is a PRO 550 (Exact same headphone, no technical differences). If you can get the PRO 900, don't even think about the HFI or DJ models.

Just to clarify, the PRO 900 has the most bass I have ever heard in a closed headphone, without bleeding into the other frequencies. and still retaining a great amount of detail overall."

END QUOTE______________________________

Thread Link:       http://www.head-fi.org/t/599421/ultrasone-hfi-580-vs-ultrasone-hfi-780-vs-ultrasone-pro-550-vs-ultrasone-hfi-2400/30#post_9316628

Users who are viewing this thread

Back