Differences between SR80s and MS1s?
Jun 28, 2007 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 254

LepakVT

100+ Head-Fier
They are pretty much the same price and have basically the same design. What makes them different from each other? And which do you think would be a better purchase if I won't have an amp and will listen to music off of a computer.

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 254
Can't really say from a strictly sound signature standpoint which is better. That all depends of whether you prefer the SR-80 or MS-1 sound. But there are a couple of other points to consider.

The MS-1 comes with the option of either 1/4 or 1/8" plug, although it comes with the less expensive "comfy"($5 less) pads rather than the more expensive bowls used on the higher priced Grados and Alessandros.

EDIT: Oops; the sound. The MS-1 is generally considered to be a bit more neutral sounding the the "rockin'" Grados. A little tamer in the highs and perhaps a bit more suitable to a wider range of music.

The MS-1 also uses the same materials as used in manufacturing the SR-125. So although it sounds different from the SR-125 with different drivers, it is an SR-125 under the skin.

Where you live is a consideration also. If you live in the US then the price is the price. If you live outside the US, then the MS-1 still costs the same $99 but with free shipping all over the planet, while Grado models can be terribly expensive elsewhere.

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 254
Would there be any sonical differences treble-wise between the 75's & the MS1's? More detail of course (hopefully) but do they share the same sparkly (metallic-like) sound?

I'd choose the SR80's if they don't have metallic, synthetic sounding treble the MS1's may have. Not sure of the answer to that though.

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 254
i feel ms-1 got just the right treble, so neutral and balanced, in the other hand sr80 is a bit too harsh, i think sr80 is in the aggresive side, so i can't stand hearing it in long time, in addition of the bowl..

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 254
The MS-1s are much brighter and have less punch than the SR-80s. The SR-80s have an overall darker presentation but the bass is more prominent. If you like your bass, go for the SR-80s...if you like your highs and trebel, the MS-1s will probably suit you. Detail for both is about the same, but the MS-1s give the appearance if slightly more instrument separation because there isn't bass between the instruments. To me, the MS-1s were a little more fatiguing.

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #6 of 254
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would there be any sonical differences treble-wise between the 75's & the MS1's? More detail of course (hopefully) but do they share the same sparkly (metallic-like) sound?

I'd choose the SR80's if they don't have metallic, synthetic sounding treble the MS1's may have. Not sure of the answer to that though.

The SR-80s definitely sound less metallic.

On a side note...the other day I was contemplating on selling one of them so I listened to each side by side for the better part of a day. Something interesting I noticed was that the MS-1s lack of kick made me want to turn up the volume compared to my SR-80s. The increased volume may have contributed my fatigue while listening to the MS-1s. I was using the stock bowl pads with the SR-80s and the reversed HD414 pads on the MS-1s.

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #7 of 254
is it because ms-1 too analytical, i found myself constantly hearing details from any songs i played

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 254
I think I'm going to go with the MS-1s. Do you think I should get some HD414 pads? Or just see how I like the MS-1s and then decide on getting the pads?

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #9 of 254
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR-80s definitely sound less metallic.

On a side note...the other day I was contemplating on selling one of them so I listened to each side by side for the better part of a day. Something interesting I noticed was that the MS-1s lack of kick made me want to turn up the volume compared to my SR-80s. The increased volume may have contributed my fatigue while listening to the MS-1s. I was using the stock bowl pads with the SR-80s and the reversed HD414 pads on the MS-1s.

i feel the same way as you, have you done basshead mods, i read it adds more kick to ms-1

no means for hi-jacking this thread
cool.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #10 of 254
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it because ms-1 too analytical, i found myself constantly hearing details from any songs i played

I would agree. In the MS-1, the bass is pushed further down and this seems to let in more space/air between the highs which would make them easier to pick out which would make them sound more analytical. The SR-80s fill this space with bass, and there's more of a kick to everything.

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #11 of 254
Quote:

Originally Posted by LepakVT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'm going to go with the MS-1s. Do you think I should get some HD414 pads? Or just see how I like the MS-1s and then decide on getting the pads?

it's suggested that u should change the stock pads to 414, adds more comfy and more SQ, and bass!

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #12 of 254
Quote:

i feel the same way as you, have you done basshead mods, i read it adds more kick to ms-1

no means for hi-jacking this thread
cool.gif

I didn't try the basshead mod with the MS-1s because the 414 pads seem fragile/easy tear. I tried it with the SR-80s....and WOW!
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #13 of 254
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would agree. In the MS-1, the bass is pushed further down and this seems to let in more space/air between the highs which would make them easier to pick out which would make them sound more analytical. The SR-80s fill this space with bass, and there's more of a kick to everything.

yeah, is it just me or i feel ms-1 less aggresive, makes metal and rock songs more boring, but its good with everything else

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #14 of 254
Quote:

Originally Posted by LepakVT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In all honesty, skip the 414s and go straight for the grado bowl pads. I wasn't impressed with the quality of the 414s...pieces of the pad flaked off onto the driver screen. and they aren't that much more comfortable than bowls.

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #15 of 254
Quote:

yeah, is it just me or i feel ms-1 less aggresive, makes metal and rock songs more boring, but its good with everything else

Hmmm metal and rock makes up about 85% of my music library. Maybe I should get the SR 80s instead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back