Difference between Woo3 and Woo6
Jan 20, 2007 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
I am in the market again for a headphone amplifier, and was just wondering if Woo owners could give me any insight into my buying decision. I am considering the Woo3, but I noticed that the Woo6 isn't a whole lot more money. For my system (in my sig) and my headphones (AKG K271s) would the difference be substantial if I purchased the Woo6 instead of the Woo3?

Additionally, does anybody know if Woo sells his own power cables to go with his amps, or if a normal old computer PSU cable is all that is needed to power it?

Thanks in advance for any insights and/or advice!

Jan 21, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 22
Get the Woo 6 - it reportedly performs well with both low impedence (Grados), and high impedence (Senns, Beyers, etc.) phones.

I loved the Woo 3 with upgraded tubes with my Senns... but, not my Grados - several Headfiers consider it as good as most of the Singlepowers.

So... the Woo 6 will offer you greater flexibility, unless you intend to use only high impedence phones.

Jan 21, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 22
Hmm... okay,

New question: Woo 6 versus the Dodge 6210 (comparing the price-performance ratio, if possible!). The 6210 was recommended to me privately just a few moments ago, for a much cheaper price, it appears, than the Woo 6 is being offered at. Is it any better, particularly for my uses?

Thanks again for the responses!

Jan 21, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... okay,

New question: Woo 6 versus the Dodge 6210 (comparing the price-performance ratio, if possible!). The 6210 was recommended to me privately just a few moments ago, for a much cheaper price, it appears, than the Woo 6 is being offered at. Is it any better, particularly for my uses?

Thanks again for the responses!

Ask "Doc" - he may have heard both.

However... the Woo amps are made "right here in the good ole USA," by a great little company, who stands behind their work - so, if you have any problems, or want it modified... it's much easier to ship back and forth and get the job done. And... they're made with premium brand parts (e.g. Rubycons, etc.).

All I can tell you is that the Woo Amps - "get rave reviews" - and the WA3 I had was stunning with the Senns.

Jan 21, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ask "Doc" - he may have heard both.

However... the Woo amps are made "right here in the good ole USA," by a great little company, who stands behind their work - so, if you have any problems, or want it modified... it's much easier to ship back and forth and get the job done. And... they're made with premium brand parts (e.g. Rubycons, etc.).

All I can tell you is that the Woo Amps - "get rave reviews" - and the WA3 I had was stunning with the Senns.

I will have to second the stated opinion. I notice that the originator is banned now. ??

Jan 23, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 22
Thanks guys - that's all I needed to know. My next gigantic purchase will be a Woo
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #7 of 22
Since the other thread seems to be condemned to offtopic discussions (albeit some interesting and cheerful), I'll try to revive the topic here:

Has anybody listened to both the woo3 and woo6, preferably on higher end Senns (like the 650) ? If so, how would you characterize the differences between the two ? Also, if you have listened to them with other tubes than the stock ones, it would be nice to mention the model and brand.

I am particularly interested in 'personal' differences, like warmth, brightness, emotion, 'musicality', 'sound substance' or body etc.
It would also be nice to hear about the 'objective' differences like detail, dynamics, neutrality, transparency, tonal balance etc., although I understand these are (slightly ?) in favour of the Woo6 - as one would expect of a higher series amp.

Thanks for your on topic and fact based comments.

May 19, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 22
You may want to cite the headphones you will be using with it - since the SQ of these amps varies a bit, depending upon which headphones you use (i.e. high impedence, or low impedence).

If you use low impedence phones, like Grados, you will find the WA3, typically does not sound as good with those, as it does with high impedence phones, like Senns. The WA3 sounds great with high impedence phones like Senns - likely just as good as the WA6. Whereas, the WA6, reportedly, sounds great with both.

May 19, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 22
Gradofan2, this is certainly the rep and in matching multiple impedances where Woo recommends the WA6, but interesting in the ToneAudio review the WA6 is recommended for the high impedance HD650 and the WA3+ for low impedance Grados.
blink.gif

May 19, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Soundcard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(...) Has anybody listened to both the woo3 and woo6, preferably on higher end Senns (like the 650) ? (...)

I'd really like opinions from people that have heard them both, even if not at the same time of just for a little while. Also please read the whole posts before replying.
Thanks again.

May 19, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gradofan2, this is certainly the rep and in matching multiple impedances where Woo recommends the WA6, but interesting in the ToneAudio review the WA6 is recommended for the high impedance HD650 and the WA3+ for low impedance Grados.
blink.gif

That is an interesting article, but it references the WA3+ as being good with the Grados, not the WA3 (noted above). As I understand it the WA3+ (as recommended by several on Headfi), removes the pre-amp circuit, and some caps, and/or adds some resistors, etc. to compensate for some of the failings of the WA3 with low impedence phones.

From my experience with the WA3, I noted a fair amount of distortion (I assume it was clipping) when driving Grado's. I talked with Jack and he suggested I get the WA4 (the WA3+ and WA6 weren't yet available), which provided transformer coupled output with greater current to drive the Grados. He suggested that even with modifications of the WA3, the WA4 would be better with low impedence phones, while still be great with high impedence phones.

Since I had my WA3, Jack has released the WA6, which he reports is great with both high and low impedence phones... and his suggestions, seem to be supported by the various comments I've seen elsewhere on these forums.

In light of my experience with the WA3, Jack's suggestions, and the comments I've seen here, I must admit, I'm a bit surprised by the reviewer's comments regarding how good the WA3+ is with low impedence phones vs high impedence phones. That would seem to add another potential amp option - because the WA3 certainly sounds great with Senns... and since it's vary similar to the WA3+, I assume it would also.

Decisions... decisions...

May 19, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #13 of 22
I would not use the 3 with low impedence cans, that must be an error. With the 650's it is very, very fine, esp. after my mods. I tried driving some IEM's, with a low impedence and the 3 could not do it. I don't think the 3+ would have much better luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back