Difference between MP3 and FLAC?
Jun 26, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #91 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little country rat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please stop arguing with leeperry, it's completely useless.
He's just a troll (and a very big one indeed).

Agreed. The best option is to ignore him.

Jun 26, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #92 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FLAC does joint stereo too.
very_evil_smiley.gif

The problem with joint stereo in MP3 (and lossy compression) is that the encoder can decide to compress the side channel differently than it does the mid channel. The side channel is where the soundstage is and if it gets compression artifacts you can get soundstage problems. The advantage to JS is that the encoder can choose to give the mid channel more bits and the mid channel is where the majority of the music is for most recordings, but that means the side channel gets deprived. In lossless compression involving JS you obviously don't have these problems.

oh ok? I thought it would crossfeed the low freqs? some psychoacoustic principle seems to be proving that human hearing cannot identify where they come from
redface.gif

anyway, I've done some more comparisons yesterday...and the trebles simply disappear and distort in 192JS...this is hopeless, it's like listening to an AM radio.

but these were old files encoded w/ Franhofer! LAME in 192S HQ does a much better job.

so mp3 is good if you have no other choice(rare stuff not available on CD, or through some itunes-like shop), but it's not quite up to par w/ proper AAC or lossless. OGG I've never really tried, Nero AAC encoder sounds too good to bother w/ anything else.
PS: ouh, pink cat is on her period apparently
chartiste.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #93 of 93
For quite some time, LAME has, in the higher quality settings, done joint stereo quite well, as space-saving (or quality-improving for the size) mid-side encoding (lossless, in itself). MP3 also allows for intensity stereo, where it's not too far from just being mono, and tends to sound bad. Both are considered to be, "joint stereo."

Except for the quality hole between ~3.91 and ~3.96 (on the ML developers come and go/talking of Reiser and Bonobo), LAME has been far superior to FHG for music at reasonable bitrates. At this point, they've pretty well squeezed all that can be had from MP3. I read that low bitrate voice is better w/ FHG, but honestly, I can't tell a difference--artifacts from low-bitrate encoding dominate audible errors, to my ears, when I've tried to compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back