Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor?
Aug 29, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #421 of 1,046

This is Panzerholz. Not mdf. Not Yuck imo.

Not yuck at all, rather gorgeous I might add. What record player is that?

I don't think marble goes well with audio gear.
I remember the B&W 2-way floorstanding Signature speakers with eaither black or white marble tweeters, not to my liking as well and they weren't that good.
http://blog.bowers-wilkins.com/sound-lab/why-sir-kenneth-grange-choose-marble-for-the-iconic-signature-diamond-tweeters/

Same with the Ether C if I may be honest. Special and flashy in carbon but gimme wood any time!
Not saying this Orpheus amp or the Ether C are ugly, I just prefer wooden stuff. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #422 of 1,046
  The HD1000 was released several years back.  Search for "Sennheiser HD1000 Charleston" and you will see what I am talking about.
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sennheiser_charlestonkopfhoere_hd100.html

Cool - it's true there was an HD1000.

Aug 29, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #423 of 1,046
Yes its basically bent plywood but I still think this could be improved upon as it looks a bit mass produced and this product is trying to be high end artisan 

Might want to read this before calling it plywood.

https://www.lessloss.com/page.html?id=80

Aug 29, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #424 of 1,046

-Yes, but he stresses that 'Orpheus 2' is the name used by the Modern Hi-Fi magazine, and not something they've gotten from Sennheiser. "Der von uns intern als Sennheiser Orpheus 2 gehandelte Kopfhörer..."

(Unless my German proficiency is a lot poorer than I thought it was; definitely an option!)

You are right here, the Magazin internally named this new headphone "Orpeus 2". It is not the official name from Sennheiser. And we have 8 tubes, not six. Counting up to eight is a form of art these days.

Aug 29, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #425 of 1,046
Aug 29, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #426 of 1,046

Interesting...well then the successor to the hd800's then. Guess I should have done my homework. No Panzerholz love?

OK so I had to Google "Panzerholz" to learn what it is.  Very interesting, actually.  Some nice looking turntables made from it.
Any day we learn new things is a successful day.

Prosit -
RCB

Aug 29, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #427 of 1,046
Well its basically laminated like plywood but bonded under very high pressure rather than using glue so very similar except for finished strength of the product  

Quote:
Might want to read this before calling it plywood.

https://www.lessloss.com/page.html?id=80

Aug 29, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #428 of 1,046
I wonder where the headphone jacks will be located on that amp. Is there probably one single jack inside of the case? Could be, or it uses the XLR outputs (which I kind of doubt as they are located on the back which would make it kind of impractical).

If it wasn't for the price, I'dve been interested in this Orpheus successor.

Aug 29, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #431 of 1,046
  Yes its basically bent plywood but I still think this could be improved upon as it looks a bit mass produced and this product is trying to be high end artisan 

Dude, not plywood either. Pretty sure it is more expensive than marble, since that seems to be all you care about. When purk stands up and declares this headphone as king I will be quiet but right now I'm pretty sure he declared the 009's as king and it was not the original Orpheus it dethroned, pretty sure it was the R-10.

Why does he hold on the Original Orpheus when it is not the king? I don't know. None of my business. But I do know he is very genuine and honest when he says it is not his fav. He is also a very big fan of the hd800 and ecp dsha. Only $3k for both and the amp is uber rare. Not sure how it stacks up against the original Orpheus and amp but I would not be surprised if he said it competed.

When it comes to the Orpheus being better than my hd800/Teton/Pavane because it would cost $27k today... I'll let Harry do the talking for me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zONW46d50A0

Aug 29, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #432 of 1,046
I've 12 hours between 2x Orpheus.. 009 is the much better phone.

Orhpeus is kind of fun/novel. Strawberry milk vs crystal clear water. You'll see.
New product will be quite good, though it depends on the whole/rest of the design. Probably on equal grounds for transients with the 009.
Marble/granite is an obvious and good idea. depends on the whole design. It may possibly be quite good. Overall the 009 is a very, very, very good product though.

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #433 of 1,046
I can't get over how... silly it looks to me. Marble. The case that holds the phones themselves. The lack of symmetry. It screams tacky to me.

I think stone could have been really nice, if it were -all- stone, and not just blocks of stuff stuck together looking like any other mess of things sitting on one another.

Then again, for that cost, I'd crave a rare wood and bronze/copper, not some every-day-marble (counter top! bathroom!) and a few tubes off the side.

Very best,

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #434 of 1,046
  I can't get over how... silly it looks to me. Marble. The case that holds the phones themselves. The lack of symmetry. It screams tacky to me.

I think stone could have been really nice, if it were -all- stone, and not just blocks of stuff stuck together looking like any other mess of things sitting on one another.

Then again, for that cost, I'd crave a rare wood and bronze/copper, not some every-day-marble (counter top! bathroom!) and a few tubes off the side.

Very best,

I can't agree more, but looking at it from behind, it makes me feel the marble is some kind of concealment element, like those extra panels car companies put in new models for road testing.

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #435 of 1,046
Should sell well in China, until HiFiMan rips off the looks in a $5000 copy.

lol high-end market in china actually prefers outside brand names. people in china generally have a low opinion of chinese brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back