Did I make a mistake in getting this laptop?
Nov 4, 2007 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Headphoneus Supremus
I bought a Dell Vostro 1500 when it was on sale, $600 + $40 tax. I'm intending to use it for hs/college; homework, no music (gets streamed to my P3 server with E-MU 0404), maybe playing Halo 1 PC, and watching 720p - 1080p clips. I intend to keep this thing about 2 years then upgrade to a Mac.

Specs...
1.46 GHz Core 2 Duo 2MB cache
1GB Ram (I was planning on getting 4GB, should I? I'm using 1.7GB now...)
15.4" WXGA Truelife (getting a 24" soon)
128mb 8400gs
160gb 5.4k
DVDRW
Wireless G (getting N later only if needed)
XP Home ordered with it but I'm keeping it for backup as a I have a copy of Vista Business 32 and dual boot with Ubuntu64.

So am I alright? Should I opt for the 4GB for $150?

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #2 of 26
The 32 bit operating systems will not even see the full 4 gigs. If you really only want to keep it 2 years, I wouldn't bother. I hear Vista runs best on 2 gigs (I have 2) but I don't know if you could get by with 1 with a clean install.

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by PerformanceFirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 32 bit operating systems will not even see the full 4 gigs. If you really only want to keep it 2 years, I wouldn't bother. I hear Vista runs best on 2 gigs (I have 2) but I don't know if you could get by with 1 with a clean install.

That's why I was going to use Ubuntu as well. I might just get 2GB of ram, it's only $50. I got 1GB because it was $150 to get 2GB.

See my plan was this...
Ubuntu as main OS, and have vmware run windows vista. Since its 2 core I thought it would be fine, and have 2gb allocated for each os.

I'd also have a separate boot for my vista install for my games.

Now that I think about it though, 2GB maybe alright. It is only 2 years after all.

Nov 4, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #4 of 26
Yes, you should have gone straight to the MacBook now (instead of 2 years down the road).
tongue.gif

Nov 4, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you should have gone straight to the MacBook now (instead of 2 years down the road).
tongue.gif

When I ordered the Macbook only had GMA950! I'm soooooooo considering a return and living with the x3100.

Nov 4, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I ordered the Macbook only had GMA950! I'm soooooooo considering a return and living with the x3100.

Can you return the Vostro? If you can, personally I would consider it for a bunch of reasons, but don't beat yourself up over it if you can't. Computers are more expensive to swap than headphones
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've spent a lot of time with the MacBooks and was completely underwhelmed by them.

can you be more specific?

Nov 4, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 26
please ignore the apple fanboys, you have a fine laptop, you dont do gaming, XP and other 32 bit os´s see 3.5gb of memory so if you want to put in vista 64bit or EMT64 Linux later on, the extra 512mb will show up, you should really buy what fits you best, theres some window managers in linux like beryl which would make apple users piss themselfs and aqua look like used toilet paper, its all about what you like,

so, if for now, XP is your thing, and you want to add a bit more ram, roll with it, and later on, if you want to go to mac or linux, well, depends on what you like and need, you allready spend the money, no need to beat yourself over it, and its a good laptop for 640 bucks, your money was not wasted,

Nov 5, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #11 of 26
If you did put the 4GB of memory in the 32 bits OS's would recognise all but 128MB of it (the amount of dedicated vRAM). Personally I think that you could use a little more CPU power rather than more RAM, if you can return/upgrade it buy 2GB of RAM and spend the rest on a better CPU (T7100/T7300).

Nov 5, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Basil101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally I think that you could use a little more CPU power rather than more RAM, if you can return/upgrade it buy 2GB of RAM and spend the rest on a better CPU (T7100/T7300).

This is probably true. I didn't even realize Intel still made 1.46 GHz processors.

Nov 5, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Basil101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you did put the 4GB of memory in the 32 bits OS's would recognise all but 128MB of it (the amount of dedicated vRAM). Personally I think that you could use a little more CPU power rather than more RAM, if you can return/upgrade it buy 2GB of RAM and spend the rest on a better CPU (T7100/T7300).

Not anymore. Both Vista and XP SP2 will only see a maximum of 3.21 GB.

Nov 5, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #14 of 26
Personally I think you made a good choice if I were to buy another notebook I would buy a Dell or another Apple. The Vostros are nice looking in my opinion without looking cheap like the inspirons and Dell is a good company to deal with (this coming from a former employee). I prefer Apple since I love the aluminum design of the Pro's and I love OS X, if you aren't happy with Windows on your Dell that's what some form of Linux is for.

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not anymore. Both Vista and XP SP2 will only see a maximum of 3.21 GB.

I don't mean to be rude but why 3.21?
confused.gif
I assumed that this limit was due to the 32 bit OS running out of address space after the video card(s) and BIOS ROM had been taken care of. You also said "not anymore", why? Did windows 32bit ever address more than this? Help!
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back