Did I just get an electret? Echo SS-2000V
May 21, 2010 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Sambones

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone ever heard of these guys? The foam is dust, so I'm guessing "old." The left side has my DT-770 Pleather pad on, as I tore that side's earpad getting it open. The cup is mostly open, but looks like it's still highly reflective, sonically. The driver is what's weird. There's that plate on the back, but I can see through to the other side. It's as if there's only one plate.

Are electret/electrostats safe to open? I won't destroy anything, will I?

psst, those are volume control knobs on the sides.

May 21, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 6
Sasquatch-level blurriness there, but if  you don't see some bouillion-cube-sized transformers somewhere in the cups or in a little box inline in the cord, then no, they're not electrets.

May 22, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 6
I thought electret electrostats had pre-charged diaphragms, and that the transformer boxes were only required for pure electrostats. Is that wrong? There's no voice-coil in the center, so I don't think it's dynamic, and the elements seem too thin for an ortho. Plus, again, no visible voice-coil.

The pictures are the best I can do, for now at least. Come Sunday afternoon, I'll see what I can do. It really is a junky camera, and I'm no photographer.

But, again, will I really want to open up the driver, but what would that do to an electrostat/electret?

May 22, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 6
these look surprisingly like an ebay item awhile back
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140403639647&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

numark electret headphones

all electret needs transformers even the k320 have small transformers in their cups.

May 22, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #5 of 6
So, I finally opened them up, and they do appear to be dynamics, with an uncorrugated, 43mm driver. I guess, that backplate (combined with wishful thinking) threw me through a loop.

And, no it doesn't. Maybe as far as the silver and black color scheme, but that's where the similarity ends.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310218554371&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

May 22, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #6 of 6
It's not a RULE, but usually if you see volume controls on a headphone, it's a dynamic. Just something i'v oberved in my searches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back