Did I get knockoff XB700's?
Sep 4, 2011 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

FinalJenemba

New Head-Fier
I got these headphones off of an ebay seller in china.  They had a good feedback rating, and they came in what appeared to be sealed sony packaging.  But when I look at pictures of the XB700's, like these on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB700-Diaphragm-Driver-Headphones/dp/B001RB24SW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1315159951&sr=8-2

Mine look 100% different.  Mine have a black band around the earcups instead of silver, and the ear pads on mine look ALLOT cheaper and smaller in diameter, but thicker, than the ones on amazon.  Has sony changed to a cheaper design? Or did I get ripped?  Here's some pics I just took, hopefully some XB700 owners can look at help.  Thanks!!

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 16
Did you ever look up the other pairs?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB500-Diaphragm-Driver-Headphones/dp/B001RB24S2/ref=pd_cp_e_0

That's what you got.

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
Unfortunately, that is definitely a fake.

The XB700 has metal instead of plastic arms. And the pads look much different.

That's the XB500.

The major difference of the XB500/300 - 700 is the coloring and size of the pads.

You received the XB500 OP, contact the seller for a return and swap without you paying postage. If they say anything about having you pay for shipping back or whatnot, tell them that you'll report them to Amazon for false advertising (which is a crime) and call your bank for a immediate cut of your funds towards them.

Just make sure you didn't order the XB500 with the serial number and order form. You could of just messed up a little there.

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #5 of 16
No, this was ebay, not amazon.  And it was a scam, not a mistake.  Look at the pics I posted, the headphones have XB700 written on them.  And upon closer inspection of the packaging, the package says both XB700, and 40mm drivers.  This is a straight up KIRF.  I would honestly be surprised if these are even real XB500's the pads even look cheaper than those.

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:
That's the XB500.

The major difference of the XB500/300 - 700 is the coloring and size of the pads.

You received the XB500 OP, contact the seller for a return and swap without you paying postage. If they say anything about having you pay for shipping back or whatnot, tell them that you'll report them to Amazon for false advertising (which is a crime) and call your bank for a immediate cut of your funds towards them.

Just make sure you didn't order the XB500 with the serial number and order form. You could of just messed up a little there.

Yeah, I should know. I have both the XB500 and XB700 on my desk right now...

He didn't get an XB500, I guarantee it. It was advertised as an XB700, and he got something that was neither one of them.

I've researched into fake XB's before, and by the looks of those pads, those are definitely fakes.

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 16
Yea it's fakes, the pads on those look like a lot worse quality, the real ones are very smooth on the backside near the cups around the edge, very leather looking, those look like the typical low quality pleather that will start come off in about 1 year's use. Also I noticed the edge of the round circle at the headband is shiny on that one while it's dim on a real one.

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
Yeah, I should know. I have both on my desk...

He didn't get an XB500, I guarantee it. It was advertised as an XB700, and he got something that was neither one of them.

I've researched into fake XB's before, and by the looks of those pads, those are definitely fakes.

Yep.  Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I thought.  Im working with paypal and ebay as we speak to get my money back.  The funny thing is they dont really sound too bad, but no where near what I was expect out of the xb700.  Not near enough bass lol.

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Yeah, I should know. I have both on my desk...

Fakes on Amazon

This isn't a good sign

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #10 of 16

He said he got them on Ebay silly
normal_smile%20.gif

Quote:
Fakes on Amazon

This isn't a good sign

Sep 4, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #14 of 16
On a partially related note, even Amazon marketplace is full of fakes.  Anything distributed through an Amazon warehouse tends to be safer.

Just look at USB memory sticks and microSD cards.  Many of the devices on Amazon are fake knockoffs, which are immediately apparent when you open them up and look at the chips.

eBay is unsafe for counterfeit goods, but Amazon is also unsafe.  The nice thing about Amazon is that their customer service is second-to-none, and they will take care of you if you alert them promptly.  Paypal has good customer service, but eBay not so much.

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #15 of 16
I own both the XB 500 and 700 and I agree with everyone else those are definitely fakes in every regard. The cups and black headband are a complete giveaway. Sorry about the bad luck OP keep us posted what the final outcome is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back