Did HD800 fail? Poll: HD650 or HD800(vote only if you have listened to both)
Aug 2, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #166 of 178
Quote:
If the HD850 will be to the HD800 what the HD650 is to the HD600, then I think it will be a tremendous success. I hope Senn has begun working on them!

I'd probably order HD850s tomorrow if they were announced - whenever I try the HD800s I miss my HD650s.

The HD650s make me want to listen to music, the HD800s make me want to analyze it. I prefer listening...

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #167 of 178
Quote:
I'd probably order HD850s tomorrow if they were announced - whenever I try the HD800s I miss my HD650s.

The HD650s make me want to listen to music, the HD800s make me want to analyze it. I prefer listening...

I know what you mean there.  I have the T1's on loan right now, and they walk a very fine line between allowing me to listen or analyze.  I think they've achieved a pretty good balance, but my 650's still have a much easier listening sound.  T1's can cause a bit of fatigue after a while compared to the 650s.  But the mids on the T1 are incredible. I'll have the HD800s on loan at some point in the near future, but I have a feeling they won't be more enjoyable than the T1's to my ears.

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #168 of 178
After buying the HD800 and spending in total around $3000 on the whole Headphone/Amp/DAC setup I keep wondering if I made a huge mistake? You see I could for the same amount of money go on Ebay and buy a very decent audiophile speaker/amp/turntable system. But since I am living in an apartment complex I cant have music blasting through the night so I guess buying headphones was a compromise. When I was spending all that cash on these expensive headphones I was thinking it would bring me closer to a good speaker experience. Well it does not look good at all I am afraid. Its turned out to be a big disappointment, its nowhere near as good as a speaker setup.
I remember buying my first Cyrus + B&W setup back in 2003 and being completely wowed by the soundstage and instrument separation. It was a 3 dimensional experience coming out of a 2 channel speaker setup. 

HD800's have failed to wow me in that sense. The sound is all inside my head no matter how you angle your drivers. I find the sound coming out of the HD800 better than the HD650 but not by much. Believe me the difference in sound does not justify the huge price difference. I was fooled by reading a lot of marketing hype about the ring drivers and how sound hits your ears differently. The Damn thing sounds like any other headphone. Now I am stuck with this setup for at least a couple of years because I dont want to sell it on ebay and make a big loss. 

Damn these neighbours.

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #169 of 178
consider a near field listening setup with high quality full range drivers (Mark Audio etc.). You can listen at much lower volumes without disturbing the neighbors. 

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #170 of 178
Quote:
consider a near field listening setup with high quality full range drivers (Mark Audio etc.). You can listen at much lower volumes without disturbing the neighbors. 

Thanks had a look at some. Sounds like a good option as opposed to headphones. Even come with built in amp/dac.

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #171 of 178
Quote:
After buying the HD800 and spending in total around $3000 on the whole Headphone/Amp/DAC setup I keep wondering if I made a huge mistake? You see I could for the same amount of money go on Ebay and buy a very decent audiophile speaker/amp/turntable system. But since I am living in an apartment complex I cant have music blasting through the night so I guess buying headphones was a compromise. When I was spending all that cash on these expensive headphones I was thinking it would bring me closer to a good speaker experience. Well it does not look good at all I am afraid. Its turned out to be a big disappointment, its nowhere near as good as a speaker setup.
I remember buying my first Cyrus + B&W setup back in 2003 and being completely wowed by the soundstage and instrument separation. It was a 3 dimensional experience coming out of a 2 channel speaker setup. 

HD800's have failed to wow me in that sense. The sound is all inside my head no matter how you angle your drivers. I find the sound coming out of the HD800 better than the HD650 but not by much. Believe me the difference in sound does not justify the huge price difference. I was fooled by reading a lot of marketing hype about the ring drivers and how sound hits your ears differently. The Damn thing sounds like any other headphone. Now I am stuck with this setup for at least a couple of years because I dont want to sell it on ebay and make a big loss. 

Damn these neighbours.

Kind of figures. Don't take it the wrong way, but  I think many people in this hobby tend to forget that headphones are, at the end of the day, 'just' headphones. They are restricted by what they are. As good as headphones can be, the human ear and mind will still be more easily satisfied by even a modest speaker setup. Not to mention all other problems headphones have: they restrict physical movement, they require increasingly good recordings and are very sensitive to flaws, it's hard to be sure about what you think sounds good, etc. Also the entire hobby of audiophilia is quite empty without really actually wanting to listen to music for hours, which can easily be forgotten when you get caught up in chasing after perfect sound. You might forget what the point was in the first place. This is very different from for example buying clothes, or driving a new car, where consumption of the product is the purpose of the purchase in and of itself.

It can be seen in people buying HD650's and not being wowed by the so called 'fluid mids'. I mean yes they are there, but only when you're really into the hobby and don't expect such a thing to be a wowing experience regardless of context or reference. Then you also have to know to account for caveats such as mood, recording quality, etc.
It can also be seen in people wanting headphones to be 'speaker like' (and the reverse is never desirable: speakers sounding like headphones). And it can be seen in people looking for that perfect amp, cables, or for tubes to bring them that 'tube sound'. These improvements don't exist - or they do but to a very marginal degree, but people want them to, they need them to, to justify spending money on this hobby.
I realize I'm being pretty bold and unnuanced, but I see those tendencies and phenomena every day I check head fi.

Anyway, hopefully you'll sort your situation out. Ultimately, you always have the option of looking at the situation and doing what you think is best.

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #172 of 178
Quote:

Kind of figures. Don't take it the wrong way, but  I think many people in this hobby tend to forget that headphones are, at the end of the day, 'just' headphones. They are restricted by what they are. As good as headphones can be, the human ear and mind will still be more easily satisfied by even a modest speaker setup. Not to mention all other problems headphones have: they restrict physical movement, they require increasingly good recordings and are very sensitive to flaws, it's hard to be sure about what you think sounds good, etc. Also the entire hobby of audiophilia is quite empty without really actually wanting to listen to music for hours, which can easily be forgotten when you get caught up in chasing after perfect sound. You might forget what the point was in the first place. This is very different from for example buying clothes, or driving a new car, where consumption of the product is the purpose of the purchase in and of itself.

It can be seen in people buying HD650's and not being wowed by the so called 'fluid mids'. I mean yes they are there, but only when you're really into the hobby and don't expect such a thing to be a wowing experience regardless of context or reference. Then you also have to know to account for caveats such as mood, recording quality, etc.
It can also be seen in people wanting headphones to be 'speaker like' (and the reverse is never desirable: speakers sounding like headphones). And it can be seen in people looking for that perfect amp, cables, or for tubes to bring them that 'tube sound'. These improvements don't exist - or they do but to a very marginal degree, but people want them to, they need them to, to justify spending money on this hobby.
I realize I'm being pretty bold and unnuanced, but I see those tendencies and phenomena every day I check head fi.

Anyway, hopefully you'll sort your situation out. Ultimately, you always have the option of looking at the situation and doing what you think is best.

+1 Thanks for your long and thoughtful reply and I whole heartedly agree with you. 

Through my own research I have come across many people on head-fi who have spent considerable amount of money on expensive headphone amplifiers only to find out that the headphone out on their  DAC pretty much sounds the same. 

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #173 of 178
Quote:
+1 Thanks for your long and thoughtful reply and I whole heartedly agree with you. 

Through my own research I have come across many people on head-fi who have spent considerable amount of money on expensive headphone amplifiers only to find out that the headphone out on their  DAC pretty much sounds the same. 

Hey, I replied to you on another thread. Unfortunately, headphones aren't meant for you, it's very obvious. Depending on where you bought the Senns, maybe you can exchange them for Neumann KH-120's since Neumann is owned by Sennheiser. You may know them for making fantastic microphones, they really making good product. The KH-120's image very darn well it's scary; they also measure ruler flat from ~40hz to 15khz. Thing is, they drop off in the bass so you may want to add a subwoofer to it. Also, they're powered, so you just need a dac/preamp which you already have.

I recommend going to try some speakers; it's much easier to find places to demo compared to headphones. Also, demo'ing is the best way to prevent regrettable purchases!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #174 of 178
Quote:
Hey, I replied to you on another thread. Unfortunately, headphones aren't meant for you, it's very obvious. Depending on where you bought the Senns, maybe you can exchange them for Neumann KH-120's since Neumann is owned by Sennheiser. You may know them for making fantastic microphones, they really making good product. The KH-120's image very darn well it's scary; they also measure ruler flat from ~40hz to 15khz. Thing is, they drop off in the bass so you may want to add a subwoofer to it. Also, they're powered, so you just need a dac/preamp which you already have.

There are many other good powered speakers out there. If you want something passive, check out the PSB Imagine minis. They're fantastic and you'd be saving money as they are cheaper than the HD 800's

I recommend going to try some speakers; it's much easier to find places to demo compared to headphones. Also, demo'ing is the best way to prevent regrettable purchases!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #175 of 178
Quote:

Thanks hopefully my next purchase would be near field monitors. I can buy those Neumann KH 120 for almost half the price of the Sennheiser HD800. Should have done a bit more research in near field before going for headphones. Oh well I guess its been a good learning experience for me.

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #176 of 178
Quote:
Thanks hopefully my next purchase would be near field monitors. I can buy those Neumann KH 120 for almost half the price of the Sennheiser HD800. Should have done a bit more research in near field before going for headphones. Oh well I guess its been a good learning experience for me.

Unfortunate it has to end like that, because the HD800 is a damn good headphone in all regards and technicalities. But if you want speaker presentation, you need real speakers for that real sense of space. There's only so much space a headphone can project to your ears when it's right next to them 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back