Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
May 26, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #6,226 of 7,568
It has way more distortion especially in the areas where human hearing is most sensitive to distortion. im just pointing out facts. If you are not interested to know. Ok
Okay good. So we’re not talking about detail retrieval, speed, dynamics or any other index of technical performance. Phew. You had me worried there for a moment.

Sounds like we’re specifically talking about FR and graphs which is entirely a different conversation.

May 26, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #6,227 of 7,568
Okay good. So we’re not talking about detail retrieval, speed, dynamics or any other index of technical performance. Phew. You had me worried there for a moment.

Sounds like we’re specifically talking about FR and graphs which is entirely a different conversation.
The amount of Distortion and noise determines how much detail can be obtained out of the original signal before it is masked. And yes the driver has to have good speed, dynamics and control to archive low distortion across the board. We are not talking about FR.

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #6,228 of 7,568
The amount of Distortion and noise determines how much detail can be obtained out of the original signal before it is masked. And yes the driver has to have good speed, dynamics and control to archive low distortion across the board. We are not talking about FR.
I guess I should’ve asked what @Tachyon88 meant when he said he liked the 6XX “better” than the Diana V2 because now we’re in the weeds a bit with this conversation.

To respond to your comment though I’m not sure what you’re suggesting. Are you saying you prefer the tuning of the 6XX over the Diana or are you saying the technical performance is better in the 600 series?

So far you’ve just commented about distortion and repeated what Amir from ASR has said about his Diana measurements. A guy who doesn’t know how to measure a headphone.

May 26, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #6,229 of 7,568
I guess I should’ve asked what @Tachyon88 meant when he said he liked the 6XX “better” than the Diana V2 because now we’re in the weeds a bit with this conversation.

To respond to your comment though I’m not sure what you’re suggesting. Are you saying you prefer the tuning of the 6XX over the Diana or are you saying the technical performance is better in the 600 series?

So far you’ve just commented about distortion and repeated what Amir from ASR has said about his Diana measurements. A guy who doesn’t know how to measure a headphone.
BTW I don’t doubt for a second that you enjoy to listen to the Dianas more than the HD6XX, what we enjoy in life has sometimes little to do with all the technicalities, it’s why Richard Mille watches are popular, enjoy.

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #6,230 of 7,568
BTW I don’t doubt for a second that you enjoy to listen to the Dianas more than the HD6XX, what we enjoy in life has sometimes little to do with all the technicalities, it’s why Richard Mille watches are popular, enjoy.
Initially I was just responding and more curious than anything to hear why on earth someone would think a 600 series is a “better” headphone than a Diana. And that’s coming from someone who owns a 600. I like the 600 on tubes and agree that it’s a great headphone for the price and probably the best in the 6XX series.

I think the conversation went in a different direction when there was a bit of confusion on what the word “better” defines. I personally can’t find any quality in the 600 that I would define as better than the Diana. But this hobby is very subjective and maybe someone hears something I don’t.

May 26, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #6,231 of 7,568
It has way more distortion especially in the areas where human hearing is most sensitive to distortion. im just pointing out facts. If you are not interested to know. Ok
Your genius overshadows everything. Enlighten us with your knowledge that we are actually not worth seeing. Seriously, you're infesting this thread with ignorance and deprecation

May 26, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #6,232 of 7,568
Good luck with Forza getting back to you. I put in a request two weeks ago. A sales rep got back to me with two questions about what cable I wanted but didn’t answer a simple question if they can make the cable for the Diana.

If a sales rep can’t answer a simple question to close a sale I won’t support a business like that.

There isn’t an option on their ordering page for the Diana so if you attempt to buy a cable to see if it’ll fit and it doesn’t work it’s a complete waste of time and money.
I doubt they have sales reps. It's a simple operation. They weren't quick to respond or ship, but I got my cable from Poland to my door inside a couple weeks.
Just choose the 2.5 connector and tell them it's for a Diana, they'll make it.

May 26, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #6,233 of 7,568
I doubt they have sales reps. It's a simple operation. They weren't quick to respond or ship, but I got my cable from Poland to my door inside a couple weeks.
Just choose the 2.5 connector and tell them it's for a Diana, they'll make it.
Thanks for the tip but i'm not interested in taking a chance ordering a cable for a different headphone than it's intended for. The Diana connection ports are recessed so if the cable doesn't work I've got a big hassle on my hands. And honestly if they can't even answer a simple question and give me an option to pay I have no interest in supporting that kind of business.

May 26, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #6,234 of 7,568
When I bought my first Diana 3 years ago, I never touched my previous Sennheiser HD600 again after a few weeks.
Detail retrieval aside, they do represent sound very different.. So yeah, I can understand that some people might prefer the Sennheiser sound.
I’m with you on this.

I never understood the reverence for the HD600 or HD650. They sounded good. That’s about it. I bought them based on the hype and gave them away to a buddy starting his audio journey.

The same can be said for the AKG712, Koss portapros, etc… They all sound really good “for the money”. Depending on what genre music you listen to, they Sennheiser could be all you ever want and need. The certainly are a pretty safe recommendation for those looking for an excellent headphone for a decent price.

The Diana V2 is just so much more. The fact that it Is planar vs dynamic driver of the HD6XX makes a considerable difference.

May 26, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #6,235 of 7,568
Okay, you’ve gone all over the place with your observations on this one.

You argued that the HD6XX have better FR and distortion than the Diana V2. Fine, if you believe one website, that may or may not be a true statement. You argue that that the technical performance of the HD6XX is better than the Diana V2, but you give no substantial evidence to back up this claim. Generally planar drivers do a much better job at detail retrieval vs dynamic drivers. The HD6XX driver technology is decades old, they just can’t fairly compete with modern materials and modern engineering.

Finally, you insinuate that the Diana V2 are overpriced luxury items (i.e. Richard Mille watches). You have a valid point. For the $1900 I spent on the warehouse special V2, I’m incredibly happy. For the MSRP of $3.5K-$5K, I’d choose the DCA Stealth all day every day over the Diana V2. That’s my opinion on how I spend my $$$$. But, that is completely irrelevant argument in the discussion of the HD6XX technical abilities vs the Diana V2. At some point your posts can be considered trolling because you make a bold statement without any substantial factual basis and provide no useful information to the thread.

May 26, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #6,236 of 7,568
Anyway, back to the Diana`s.

I just bought back my Diana V2`s after selling them almost 8 months ago. My old ones popped up for sale and I went ahead. I originally sold them after buying the 1266 PHI TC. I still have the 1266, they`re not going anywhere, but missed my Dianas so now I have both.

My god they sound good. Not as detailed and whatever as the 1266, but they are a fun and a easy listen, perfect for music in the backround.

May 26, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #6,237 of 7,568

Set aside from anything you wrote, have you actually listened to Diana v2 youself? Please tell us this headphone distort like crazy when you tried them.

As far as I know ASR measurement about Diana V2 is clearly weird. The culprit was between Diana's earpad (angled surface) and the surface of their machine (flat surface) didn't make proper seal.

May 26, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #6,238 of 7,568

I'm talking about the overall experience. Sure there are nuances , but the overall headphone experience was not that much different (better/worse) if at all compared to the HD6xx. That is also what I mean when I say most HP I tried sound like typical headphones. I listened to both every day for almost a year. In fact, this is what got me into FR and the like, because I wondered why the heck they cost so much when the experience is almost the same as this 200 dollar headphone !! Then I entered the Arya which was great enough of a different experience that it made me buy the susvara to try. In which was great too, really great, but like I said, Arya was good enough for me.

May 26, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #6,239 of 7,568
I'm talking about the overall experience. Sure there are nuances , but the overall headphone experience was not that much different (better/worse) if at all compared to the HD6xx. That is also what I mean when I say most HP I tried sound like typical headphones. I listened to both every day for almost a year. In fact, this is what got me into FR and the like, because I wondered why the heck they cost so much when the experience is almost the same as this 200 dollar headphone !! Then I entered the Arya which was great enough of a different experience that it made me buy the susvara to try. In which was great too, really great, but like I said, Arya was good enough for me.
Fair enough. And I'm not questioning your ears, what you index for and your taste in headphones. Everyone's journey through this hobby is different and there's no right or wrong in this, just personal preference.

Having read your comment above I can see what you mean by overall headphone experience and seeing what you own I know what you are generally looking for and what you most likely index for. The Diana V2 doesn't have a wide stage, it's an intimate listen and in general is quite a mid range focused headphone. All traits that the 6XX shares which is probably where you're hearing similarities.

I haven't heard the DCA Stealth but I've had quite a lot of experience with the Susvara and if you sold that for the Arya obviously you're looking for a more unique listen. In all of the higher end headphones above the $2000 mark all you're paying for are the nuances and that last 20% of speed, resolution & technical performance to get the most out of a listening experience. There's some audiophiles that'll pay thousands and thousands for that last 1-2%.

I think Abyss have a place in the market where the 1266 is one of if not THE world's best headphone for a host of categories and I personally share that opinion with the Diana V2. It does a tonne of things that no other headphone can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back