Diabetics Represent
Feb 19, 2009 at 7:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

DanTheMiataMan

500+ Head-Fier
I've seen a handful of people on the forums who are cursed with this evil called Diabetes. If you is one represent and holla if you are type 1 or type 2 (the poser type =P) and if you are pills, pump, needles.

*edit* also what meter you use and how you like/dislike it

Let me start

Type 1 - Needles
Lantus/Novalog

Freestyle Lite - I like it as you can add blood if you mess up the first time you have 60 seconds to add more. Though i rarely take my blood sugar
redface.gif

Been diabetic since 2000

Also i found this article recently seems pretty sweet

Nano Ink 'Tattoo' Could Monitor Diabetes: Discovery News

Feb 19, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #3 of 63
Type 1 - Needles
Lantus/Novalog

I have 2 Onetouch meters, UltraSmart, UltraMini. I use the UltraSmart because it has room for my bottles and needles. If someone wants a Mini then send me an address. I have been diabetic since 1970.

Feb 19, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen a handful of people on the forums who are cursed with this evil called Diabetes. If you is one represent and holla if you are type 1 or type 2 (the poser type =P) and if you are pills, pump, needles.

*edit* also what meter you use and how you like/dislike it

Let me start

Type 1 - Needles
Lantus/Novalog

Freestyle Lite - I like it as you can add blood if you mess up the first time you have 60 seconds to add more. Though i rarely take my blood sugar
redface.gif

Been diabetic since 2000

Also i found this article recently seems pretty sweet

Nano Ink 'Tattoo' Could Monitor Diabetes: Discovery News

The Nano ink is so cool. My wife has a heart tat on her bum, I think I need something too.
wink_face.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #6 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to be harsh but I don't see why someone would be happy/proud about declaring themselves as diabetics

Once you've been cursed with it gotta deal with it somehow? Might as well be proud? Plus just a way to collect all the diabetics on the forum into a post and then you can ask questions to each other from anything of this meter that meter to pump no pump etc etc....

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #7 of 63
Zephyr

You can be negitive or you can choose to be positive and that applies to everything in life. For me it isnt an issue because I got it when I was a kid. Its normal for me. I dont sit around comparing myself to non diabetic people like some short timers do.

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #10 of 63
I'm not diabetic, but my mother got Type 1 at 60 years old. It almost killed her because she was in an HMO and they wouldn't let her see and endocrinologist. They figured they new how to treat a new case of diabetes in a 60 year old. She switched medical plans and ended up OK.

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #11 of 63
Don't you only get diabetes from drinking too much soda and whatnot? Why do you guys have it?

PS: Not trying to sound clueless about it, I just am clueless about it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #12 of 63
There are 2 types. Type 2 is what you're thinking about and drinking too much soda, being over weight, etc increase your chances of getting it. It's usually considered a disease of older people because it used to be only elderly people who go it. Not as true any more. It's usually controlled by diet, exercise, and oral medication.

Type 1 or juvenile diabetes is an auto immune disease that usually strike preteen or teenagers. People with type 1 don't produce insulin so they need insulin shots. People with type 2 usually don't need shots.

I'm sure there are other causes for type 1, but for the 3 people I've known with it, it was autoimmune and not caused by anything within their, or their parents control.

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #13 of 63
K so

Type 2 can come from many reasons

1) bad diet and you wear out the pancreas
2) some reason your pancreas stops producing as much
3) some reason you start to become insulin resistant and your body does not use the insulin you make as well
4) many other reasons/theorys

Type 1 happens for tons of reasons also but not all of them have been "proven" mostly theorys

1)you are type two and fully wear out pancreas
2) something in your DNA
3) something in your auto immune and your body kills you islet (sp) cells and you stop making insulin
4) you get a virus that looks VERY much like islet cells so when you get over your flu your body attacks islet cells also thinking it is the flu
5) your pancreas dies (tons of theorys as to why but none for sure)
6) many other reasons and theorys

my case no one for 3 generations and none of my blood line 3 steps out for the current generation has diabetes. They told me in the hospital "there is about 5% of all the people that get it in the world who get it for no reason we can tell. You are in that 5% sorry".

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #15 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's ********. I'd demand a refund.

Why it is the truth... Id rather be told "We dont know" then some BS lie like "the islet cell backtracked into the t-cell that then polymorphed into some red cells and then transmuted into diabetes"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back