Device to connect USB to DAC
Jul 15, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordearl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a DAC which only has optical and coax inputs - would something like the Xitel MD-Port DG2 be suitable enough and not degrade SQ? Or would it be wiser to invest more money in a usb-> coaxial converter such as the Pop Pulse Digital Link II? Pop Pulse Digital Link II

I don't know about the Xitel, however, I have the Pop Pulse you linked and am very happy with it. Listening to it right now via its BNC out. Also, if you input usb, you don't need the power supply, making it somewhat transportable.

Jul 15, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #5 of 8
Hmm interesting, I'm not too sure about 94/24, etc, but my setup is as follows;

PC/Laptop -> USB -> XITEL MD-PORT DG2 -> OPTICAL (GLASS FIBRE) -> MGL DACPre (24-bit/192kHz DAC) -> AKG K701

I assume that the XITEL is the weakest link but am not sure if it is degrading SQ very much as I can't really test it - other than buying another usb->spdif converter.

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Hmm interesting, I'm not too sure about 94/24, etc, but my setup is as follows;

PC/Laptop -> USB -> XITEL MD-PORT DG2 -> OPTICAL (GLASS FIBRE) -> MGL DACPre (24-bit/192kHz DAC) -> AKG K701

I assume that the XITEL is the weakest link but am not sure if it is degrading SQ very much as I can't really test it - other than buying another usb->spdif converter.

CD audio is 16/44.1...24/96 (high res audio)..

Jul 15, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

I have a DAC which only has optical and coax inputs - would something like the Xitel MD-Port DG2 be suitable enough and not degrade SQ?

you just need a usb to spdif converter.

there are many. I like the DIY products, such as the amb gamma1 lite (y1).

I have an older xitel usb/opto converter. works fine and is bit perfect.

most of the magic is in the dac, anyway. the converter dongle is easy and should not be expensive (unless the company is pulling a fast one on you).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back