Detroit, Pittsburgh or Springfield, MA
Feb 8, 2008 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

usc goose

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, random poll. (you old timers here shouldn't be surprised). But I just wanted to take a quick survey about where you would rather live. I'm putting together my match list for my residency and just thought that the results of this poll might help me figure out some ranking issues.

Feb 8, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 25
My sister lived in Springfield, and it quite sucked. IIRC, it can be a pretty bad area.

Feb 8, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 25
why not throw hell and compton into the mix?
wink.gif

my dad's from flint, MI; detroit is a pretty big **** hole i'm afraid

i'd go with Pittsburgh, just because that's where the kid from weeds wanted to go
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #7 of 25
Goose,

It depends on certain factors. I have spent some time in all three cities, and A LOT of time in the Detroit area. The key here is are we talking working, and living in the actual city of Detroit, or the Detroit suburbs. It's the difference between night and day. The Detroit suburbs rate with almost any area in the country and offer many beautiful towns and areas. Oakland county, the northern suburban area, has the second highest per capita income of any county in the country, for example. The national image of negativity about Detroit is based to a significanrt degree on the past, and is focused entirely on the city itself. The city represents only a small part of the metropolitan Detroit area. That even includes Ann Arbor, long considered one of the best cities in the country to live in.

If you were to actually have to work, AND live in the city of Detroit itself, then I would say to lean toward Pittsburgh. The city of Detroit has a lot of issues, though, things are improving in recent years.

Otherwise, Detroit offers an unbelievable value in housing with the economy currently in the doldrums due to the poor performance of the auto industry recently. Houses can be had here for literally $50-75,000.00 less than their actual value at the moment.

JC

Feb 8, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #8 of 25
detroit for the hockey and easy access to hookers and crack
pittsburgh for football and easy access to an airport to leave
springfield for quality of life

But really, that's a "how do you want your toes cut off and served to you" kind of list.

Feb 8, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #9 of 25
thanks for the replies so far. if i got the job in detroit, i would definitely be living in the suburbs. the main reason i like detroit is that the job is at henry ford hospital and seems to be a pretty good training program. also, there's an nba and mlb team there. pittsburgh is cool and pitt has good basketball. seems like a nice place to live. springfield, i really don't know too much about. i hear good music goes through there though because of all the college kids. celtics also aren't too extremely far away. so yeah, i would like a place with a decent music scene and hopefully decent basketball and baseball. skiing in a somewhat reasonable distance would be a plus. otherwise, not quite sure what i'm looking for.

Feb 10, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 25
i'll bump one time, just see if anyone else has any ideas. i know it's a broad question.

Feb 10, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc goose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the replies so far. if i got the job in detroit, i would definitely be living in the suburbs. the main reason i like detroit is that the job is at henry ford hospital and seems to be a pretty good training program. also, there's an nba and mlb team there. pittsburgh is cool and pitt has good basketball. seems like a nice place to live. springfield, i really don't know too much about. i hear good music goes through there though because of all the college kids. celtics also aren't too extremely far away. so yeah, i would like a place with a decent music scene and hopefully decent basketball and baseball. skiing in a somewhat reasonable distance would be a plus. otherwise, not quite sure what i'm looking for.

My client is one of the managed care companies in Detroit and it is not Blue Cross/Blue Shield. In fact, they are owned by the same Health System that owns Henry Ford Hospital. Needless to say, I travel to the Detroit metro area a couple times a year. If I were going to live there, I would live up north in the suburbs (or if you're loaded in Grosse Point Farms) and commute to Detroit. For example, Bloomfield Hills is a nice area and you could take the Lodge right to HFH.

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #12 of 25
Goose,

Detroit gets pounded regularly by folks from out of town for any number of reasons. Lately, it's the Mayor.
rolleyes.gif

Nightfall is right, however, that the suburbs are much different than the city. I'd stack our suburbs up against those in most any city. Bloomfield Hills and Birmingham are nice to the north, the various Grosse Pointes to the east, and Novi/Northville to the west (oh, and Ann Arbor too...but that would be a long drive to HF).

Having said all that, the downtown is genuinely going through a renaissance. There's been a lot of new construction downtown, and a lot of improvements associated with the All Star Game and Super Bowl that were there in back to back years. The city proper still has a lot of problems, but it's not quite the punch line most would have you believe.

If you like proximity to skiing, Detroit is a reasonable drive from the best skiing in the midwest (which is a bit of an oxymoron, but just so you know). The lakes are also a very nice plus for those who live in Michigan.

Pittsburgh is a nice city, where you can actually live downtown. My wife's family lives there, and we've almost moved there on several occasions.

Dunno about MA....

Good luck.

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by brotherlen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard nothing good about Detroit, and everybdoy I met there were usually unsavory characters, except for one person, but they moved due to the area.

Mmmmm...yah. I wonder what kind of dumb assed generalizations I could make about the people from wherever it is that you are from based on a limited sample size (your post, for example)??
rolleyes.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #14 of 25
Henry Ford Hospital is an incredible health care facility making it a good option. The Detroit metro area is fun, lively and has plenty to do. I wouldn't live in Detroit but would happily move to any number of suburbs there. We're from the other side of the state but have several friends there who seem to like it just fine.

Whatever you choose, try to schedule some time in the area to check out the facility you'll be at and the livability of the area.

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #15 of 25
Springfield is not a nice place to live. It's also the only place you've mentioned that isn't really so much of a city. It's got a high crime rate, no culture, and it's pretty much out in the boonies. The music that goes through the area doesn't go through Springfield as much as it goes through Northampton (about 30 min. away) which has five colleges in or around it.

From what I know, if I had to make that choice, I'd probably go with Pittsburgh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back