Dethonray Pegasus SG1 - BT DAC/Amp Combo
Nov 1, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #571 of 699
Listening to the IFI Gryphon for the last 3 days and all i can say is that it doesnt really compete with the Pegasus Gold. It sounds muddy, there is no treble extention, the separation is so so. The layerig is lacking, there is very little soundstage depth.
The width is ok, the bass is amazing and a good thing is that it has a nice meat on a bone. But its lacking in so many departments that im gonna send it back. I dont get it, i remember the IFI Gold Bar sounded better and my Zen Dac V2 sounds better for a fraction of the price.
Im listening via USB connected to the Samsung s20. The BT mode is even muddier.
Headfonia mentioned in their review that SG1 gold cannot compete with gryphon.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #572 of 699
Headfonia mentioned in their review that SG1 gold cannot compete with

I prefer the sound of dynamic units more, and this year I have been trying some less expensive earbuds. Sometimes, these little gears bring me more surprises!

1693929460144.png
What are these buds?

Nov 2, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #575 of 699
Ok thanks! Well to my ears, the Gold is slightly better in layering and staging depth, more interesting I would say. The Gryphon has wider soundstage but not as layered. There is something special in the way the Gold portrays the black background and dynamics, with the sounds popping out from this blackness. The Gryphon has a more typical, flatter presentation (but not flat).

Nov 5, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #576 of 699
Headfonia mentioned in their review that SG1 gold cannot compete with gryphon.
If we focus on musicality and output, the advantages of SG1 gold are significant. When we talk about details, USB DAC is better, which are not particularly obvious and require careful comparison. So, there is no standard answer, it depends on what kind of timbre we like.

Nov 5, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #577 of 699
Ok thanks! Well to my ears, the Gold is slightly better in layering and staging depth, more interesting I would say. The Gryphon has wider soundstage but not as layered. There is something special in the way the Gold portrays the black background and dynamics, with the sounds popping out from this blackness. The Gryphon has a more typical, flatter presentation (but not flat).
Which other dac amps can you compare it with?

Nov 6, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #578 of 699
Which other dac amps can you compare it with?
I sold it already but i was comparing it to the Shanling M8, Gryphon, IFI Gold Bar, Ibasso dx320, AK sp1000 and now testing the Shanling H7.
I would say, from all of them the AK sp1000 is still the best as a whole package- dynamics, details, soundstage, layering, overall naturalness.
I have the H7 for a couple hours so these arent my final impressions. The H7 is great- smooth, dynamic, detailed, spacious but it lacks something in comparison to the sp1000.
The Pegasus Gold was on a similar level as the H7 i would say but less detailed in the treble area. The overall dynamics were bit stronger on the Gold tho.
The sp1k still rules, no question about it.
Listening done with Softears Twilight.

Nov 6, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #579 of 699
I sold it already but i was comparing it to the Shanling M8, Gryphon, IFI Gold Bar, Ibasso dx320, AK sp1000 and now testing the Shanling H7.
I would say, from all of them the AK sp1000 is still the best as a whole package- dynamics, details, soundstage, layering, overall naturalness.
I have the H7 for a couple hours so these arent my final impressions. The H7 is great- smooth, dynamic, detailed, spacious but it lacks something in comparison to the sp1000.
The Pegasus Gold was on a similar level as the H7 i would say but less detailed in the treble area. The overall dynamics were bit stronger on the Gold tho.
The sp1k still rules, no question about it.
Listening done with Softears Twilight.
So based on your comment my guess is that SP3000 would be much better than all of these.

Nov 6, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #581 of 699
Edit: i dont believe in burn in in sources but maybe the fact that my brief impressions about the Shanling H7 were made just after i unpacked it from delivery and the device was very cold, shifted my preferences towards the AK sp1000. After a couple hours of continuous play when compared it to the sp1000, the H7 sounds grander, wider, more powerful and sweeter.
So for a portable dac/amp, at least from my experience, i can easily recommend the H7 if you like smooth, euphonic, dynamic, slightly coloured, musical sound.
The stage is very, very wide with my Softears Twilight. The bass is powerful, desktop-like, there is A LOT of air between instruments and the overall signature is very musical, there is nothing coming out to my face. Its a laid back but punchy sound.
But mind that all my comparisons were made using a SD remote playback (the micro SD card isinde the H7 and a Shanling app for a remote control from my smartphone).
Didnt check the sound quality via Bluetooth yet.
IMHO it trashes the Gryphon which is more aggressive from USB and less dynamic and detailed via Bluetooth.
The Pegasus Gold will still keep its special place in my heart due to its dynamics and a very musical sound but it doesnt win against the H7 when the SD card playback is in play. The H7 is just smoother, more detailed and more linear, correct in mids. The stage is also definitely wider on the H7 (even wider than on the AK sp1000, sp2000T, Shanling M8, dx320 with stock amp and some more, maybe due to its power, dunno).

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #583 of 699
I think- easily. But this also depend on your iems/headphones. If you need more power, then something like Gryphon, Gold or H7 would be better. For most iems, sp3000 will probably crush the competition.
AK and Sony's flagship products are both suitable for IEMs. These products have a clear positioning. However, H7 and SG1 have their own distinct timbre characteristics and better adaptability. So it's hard to say who's the best, it still depends on the gears in your hand.

Nov 14, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #584 of 699
Edit: i dont believe in burn in in sources but maybe the fact that my brief impressions about the Shanling H7 were made just after i unpacked it from delivery and the device was very cold, shifted my preferences towards the AK sp1000. After a couple hours of continuous play when compared it to the sp1000, the H7 sounds grander, wider, more powerful and sweeter.
So for a portable dac/amp, at least from my experience, i can easily recommend the H7 if you like smooth, euphonic, dynamic, slightly coloured, musical sound.
The stage is very, very wide with my Softears Twilight. The bass is powerful, desktop-like, there is A LOT of air between instruments and the overall signature is very musical, there is nothing coming out to my face. Its a laid back but punchy sound.
But mind that all my comparisons were made using a SD remote playback (the micro SD card isinde the H7 and a Shanling app for a remote control from my smartphone).
Didnt check the sound quality via Bluetooth yet.
IMHO it trashes the Gryphon which is more aggressive from USB and less dynamic and detailed via Bluetooth.
The Pegasus Gold will still keep its special place in my heart due to its dynamics and a very musical sound but it doesnt win against the H7 when the SD card playback is in play. The H7 is just smoother, more detailed and more linear, correct in mids. The stage is also definitely wider on the H7 (even wider than on the AK sp1000, sp2000T, Shanling M8, dx320 with stock amp and some more, maybe due to its power, dunno).
H7 and SP3K, I will vote for H7.

H7 and DTR1, I will vote for DTR1. :k701smile:

Dec 15, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #585 of 699
Is the $90 case that is currently sold out on AliExpress the only option for this sharp box?
Screenshot_20231215_221250_AliExpress.jpg

Screenshot_20231215_224931_AliExpress.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back