Dethonray Pegasus SG1 - BT DAC/Amp Combo
Jul 10, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #511 of 699
The sound of the 500Pro is good, but I don't like the white, cheap looking cable! :ksc75smile:
I bought some new gears and like to find a dynamic units IEM or earbuds for my SG1 gold.
Xelento, ie900, ath-ck2kti/cm2kti, shozy phantom/black hole mini steel, chaconne, ff3/ff5 are some good pairings with gold.

Jul 13, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #513 of 699
Xelento, ie900, ath-ck2kti/cm2kti, shozy phantom/black hole mini steel, chaconne, ff3/ff5 are some good pairings with gold.
Now I always try some niche brand, Shozy black hole mini and VE Zen are my favorite. I often use VE Zen with SG1 gold, and the sound is great, especially in movies, operas, and jazz.

1689242631786.png

1689242673693.png

Jul 13, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #514 of 699
Now I always try some niche brand, Shozy black hole mini and VE Zen are my favorite. I often use VE Zen with SG1 gold, and the sound is great, especially in movies, operas, and jazz.

Gold pairs with dynamic drivers well. Very dynamic sound, for the lack of a better word. Not so much with ba drivers, sounds a bit flat to me.

Jul 13, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #515 of 699
I see a SG1 version update on the DETHONRAY website . Has anyone upgraded to the latest version? Does it affect sound quality? I am using Mac OS and firmware upgrades are not very convenient.

Jul 14, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #516 of 699
Hi everyone
For IEMs use which version of SG1 would you recommend "Standard or SE"?

Jul 14, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #517 of 699
I have a BTR7 but I feel something is missing in it, so I started searching and very interested in the SG1.

Jul 16, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #519 of 699
I have a BTR7 but I feel something is missing in it, so I started searching and very interested in the SG1.
I used to own both and would say they kind of compliment eachother quite well! In terms of sound the SG1 gives you more of a very dynamic, thick and juicy tonality with a slightly tamed treble - and some people perceive that as "better". It`s definitely a lot of fun to listen to, but me, personally, I would rather describe it as "different" than "better" compared to the BTR7. The latter sounds a bit thinner and more on the neutral side (you could also interpret as "dryer" but more correct). Functionality wise the BTR7 is the clear winner imo, not only because it has more functions (USB DAC etc), is smaller in size, has a screen and just works more flawlessly (for example when being connected to several devices). And surprisingly also driving power is much better. The SG1 works fine with most IEMs, but for demanding IEMs (for example with Planar driver, like my Oriolus Szalayi) it can be underpowered.
What IEMs would you like to use with it? Depending on that it could make sense to choose the SE version but again, I think the regular one is fine with most IEMs.

Well, if you are looking for a beautiful device that sprays lots of nerdy charm and you like an emotional and warm sound signature - than the SG1 is worth to check out! But you might also think of keeping the BTR7 anyway and use both, for the reasons mentioned above. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #520 of 699
I used to own both and would say they kind of compliment eachother quite well! In terms of sound the SG1 gives you more of a very dynamic, thick and juicy tonality with a slightly tamed treble - and some people perceive that as "better". It`s definitely a lot of fun to listen to, but me, personally, I would rather describe it as "different" than "better" compared to the BTR7. The latter sounds a bit thinner and more on the neutral side (you could also interpret as "dryer" but more correct). Functionality wise the BTR7 is the clear winner imo, not only because it has more functions (USB DAC etc), is smaller in size, has a screen and just works more flawlessly (for example when being connected to several devices). And surprisingly also driving power is much better. The SG1 works fine with most IEMs, but for demanding IEMs (for example with Planar driver, like my Oriolus Szalayi) it can be underpowered.
What IEMs would you like to use with it? Depending on that it could make sense to choose the SE version but again, I think the regular one is fine with most IEMs.

Well, if you are looking for a beautiful device that sprays lots of nerdy charm and you like an emotional and warm sound signature - than the SG1 is worth to check out! But you might also think of keeping the BTR7 anyway and use both, for the reasons mentioned above. Hope that helps!

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, I think the brightness or the dryness or let's say the character of the ESS chipset is prominent in the BTR7, which gives a detailed but unnatural sound which I find frustrating, according to what I have read the SG1 has a more natural tone without a lack of detail. I'm an amp tube user so I'm obsessed with the natural organic tone :L3000:

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #522 of 699

Excellent comparison.

Jul 16, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #523 of 699
Sg1 Gold sounds incredible, even compared to the AK sp1000. The sp1k is more detailed, layered and grander in the soundstage but the Gold has this addictive, smooth and bold sound that has a great charm to it.
Your description is very similar to my feelings, but after reading some comments from @povidlo,I contacted Anson and decided to purchase gold.The feeling that gold gives me is different from red. Red is softer and match well with armature units. gold is more powerful, with a fast, better bass,and the high-frequency extension is much better,so as @povidlo said, the sound will feel a little flat.Vocal may not have the same thickness as red, but gold performs much better for dynamic units and low sensitivity IEMs than red. Therefore,there is no difficulty in choosing. if there are many common IEMs,choose the standard edition.If there are Headphones or power demanding IEM, gold is a wise choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back