Dethonray Pegasus SG1 - BT DAC/Amp Combo
Apr 24, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #422 of 699
This combo punches hard. Love this deep soundstage.

Attachments

• 20230424_175150.jpg
    20230424_175150.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Apr 25, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #424 of 699
I also noticed that both the IE600 and the Helios sound louder through the 3.5mm SE output compared to the 4.4mm balanced output, wondering if this is normal.
Interesting, I have exactly the same problem with several of my earphones and just wrote Anson about it! With some of them the 3,5 output is even about 1/3 louder than 4,4! In addition, 4,4 generally sounds less extended in the treble, sometimes even a bit muffled…
Anyone else with these problems? I am wondering for a while now if my 4,4 output has a defect?

Apr 25, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #427 of 699
Interesting, I have exactly the same problem with several of my earphones and just wrote Anson about it! With some of them the 3,5 output is even about 1/3 louder than 4,4! In addition, 4,4 generally sounds less extended in the treble, sometimes even a bit muffled…
Anyone else with these problems? I am wondering for a while now if my 4,4 output has a defect?
Let me know if you do get a reply from Anson please! And I can attest that my 3.5mm jack is roughly 1/3rd louder than my 4.4mm as well. I tried listening for a difference in treble quality, but my Helios do not go loud enough for me to hear any discernible differences, lol. I'll do some A/B testing with my IE600 and write my observations down later.

Apr 26, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #428 of 699
In addition, 4,4 generally sounds less extended in the treble, sometimes even a bit muffled…
So after some testing, I do hear more air on the 3.5mm compared to the 4.4mm, but I didn't really any muffled sound on either outputs. Regardless, the fact that 4.4mm isn't as loud as 3.5mm is intriguing, since I'm led to believe that balanced is typically louder than single-ended?

Now I'm wondering if the upgrade to the Gold version is worth $150-200 for more volume and a slightly different tuning...

Apr 29, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #432 of 699
That is pretty poor battery life for modern gear !

I was entertaining the idea of getting an SG1 and didn’t even consider battery life, I assumed it would be all day, say 7 - 8 hours like my Mojo and Gryphon.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #433 of 699

I was entertaining the idea of getting an SG1 and didn’t even consider battery life, I assumed it would be all day, say 7 - 8 hours like my Mojo and Gryphon.
Only the Gold version has such a poor battery life, the standard version oscilates between 6-7h which isnt amazing but not very bad.
Having the gold version, which has more powerful amp section has its benefits in dynamics, staging and separation. When listening using aptX, the battery life improves slightly on the Gold version to 5-5,5h in my case.

Apr 29, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #434 of 699

Gold pushes sound and output capabilities to the limit of portable gear. I have compared and found that the output is more powerful than my DAP. So if you have various types of IEM or headphones in your hand, the improvement brought by gold is significant. For IEMs, the standard edition is ok, with a 6-8 hour battery life.

May 1, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #435 of 699
Gold pushes sound and output capabilities to the limit of portable gear. I have compared and found that the output is more powerful than my DAP. So if you have various types of IEM or headphones in your hand, the improvement brought by gold is significant. For IEMs, the standard edition is ok, with a 6-8 hour battery life.
Well said. The Gold Sg1 power is so strong where it can drive beyer T1 600ohms with ease, which is unachievable even by some desktop rig, the means to do it on a small portable and achieving great sound is something out of this world.
The battery life is a small price to pay, due to the size of battery it can be fitted.
However, if we have a mind set to charge it after use, or plug the power bank to extend the play time, honestly the play time limitation is nothing, at least from what i am experiencing so far.
I am looking forward to what dethonray has to offer in the future, and see how they will out perform itself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back