Dethonray Pegasus SG1 - BT DAC/Amp Combo
Apr 6, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #376 of 699
Any aftermacket Case for this?
If you don't want dethonray case, I'm sure valentinum would make one for sg1 on order. They will probably roll out sg1 cases in their store soon anyway as it's a popular dac but they make custom cases on request anyhow. Very high quality. I have one for hm603 and ordered another one for gryphon.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/VALENTINUM

Apr 6, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #377 of 699
One of the SG1 Gold owner passed me new firmware to try out, it consists of two different version, the first one is mild and the second one is rock.
And I have chosen the mild version for testing purpose, in hope for a positive change in my listening experience, especially when paired with IEM, as it was way to exciting for my liking in the old firmware.

I would say this is a game changer for me, as I can now listen the SG1 Gold with my IEM.
Although the sound signature is similar, but it is less energetic and fatigue, less of a roller coaster ride, but more like driving a Ferrari, exciting but manageable.

I am currently using SHOZY ELSA, which is a five BA CIEM for the impression.

The bass is crisp and snappy, full of energy but not overpowering, however it’s not deep and punchy.

The vocal is forward, engaging and no sign of sibilant.

The high is well extended and controlled, not too sharp.

Why I used BA IEM for impression is because I had problem with the previous firmware, it was too energetic and vivid to listen with easy to drive IEM.
The mild firmware eased the problem with my previous concern, although I still get fatigue after some period of listening, however it’s way more manageable and pleasant than the previous firmware.

Surprisingly, it still manages to drive headphone with ease, it feels like the volume increase in a convex pattern, starts small and sharp increase when crank up the volume knob, rather than a more linear approach on the previous firmware.

Despite all the positive words, there is still downside to the SG1 Gold. It runs a lot hotter than the standard SG1 with way less running time, the battery drain way faster than standard one. After all it’s hard to achieve everything in such small package, there must be trade off with all the improvement.

However, I still stand by my word in recommending the standard SG1 for IEM and on the go set up and SG1 Gold for headphone and home/office use.

Finally, a warm reminder that this firmware is only for Gold SG1 and not design for the standard version, please do not mix up the firmware.
Please feel free to PM me or contact Anson directly in aquiring the new firmware.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #378 of 699
So I bought the Sennheiser BTD 600 and it seems completely useless using Samsung s20.
It doesn't want to pair with the Pegasus. The lights are blinking on both devices and no connection is established.
When i choose option to let the UAPP to take controll over BT, the devices pair successfully but the sound stutters horribly and i can hear like the song is playing 1.5x faster LOL!
I can hear that the quality is better but it's unusable.
Any thoughts?

Apr 6, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #379 of 699
Ok i managed to connect them. It's a pity that i cant play the music flawlessly when the UAPP takes controll over the BT because i can hear that the sound is cleaner (the UAPP treats the BTD 600 as an external dac i think).
Anyways denying permission to the UAPP and connecting BTD 600 with the Pegasus, playing via UAPP, the sound is definitely better than using Samsung's BT but still not as good as when using a dap, Pioneer xdp300r. From a dap, the stage is definitely wider and the sound is more sophisticated and delicate. It actually sounds like straight from the balanced jack but with better dynamics. Seems like BT implementation takes similar sound characteristics from the source where is implemented on.

Apr 6, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #380 of 699
Ok i managed to connect them. It's a pity that i cant play the music flawlessly when the UAPP takes controll over the BT because i can hear that the sound is cleaner (the UAPP treats the BTD 600 as an external dac i think).
Anyways denying permission to the UAPP and connecting BTD 600 with the Pegasus, playing via UAPP, the sound is definitely better than using Samsung's BT but still not as good as when using a dap, Pioneer xdp300r. From a dap, the stage is definitely wider and the sound is more sophisticated and delicate. It actually sounds like straight from the balanced jack but with better dynamics. Seems like BT implementation takes similar sound characteristics from the source where is implemented on.
I connected to the computer in Aptx mode, and the sound quality has improved significantly. Another dongle supports AptX HD, only USB A, and the SQ is very good!
When using BTD600 to connect to the iPhone, the details are better than iPhone Bluetooth, but the iPhone's battery life will be reduced quickly, lol

Apr 6, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #381 of 699
I've noticed a pretty drastic change with gold. Key difference is treble reproduction. While quality is the same, I recall it being very splashy and energetic, now it sound smoother and laid back. Overall sound signature seems more in line with what has been reported for standard sg1, it sounds warmer and more l-shaped now. I've had about 25-35 hours on it. I've never noticed such a drastic difference with a source after a burn-in or what not. For example, th900mk2 used to be pretty unlistenable on gold due to sharp treble energy but now they seem to pair a lot better.

20230406_092614.jpg
I personally feel that it is a change in bass, faster and more powerful than what I just heard. It may also be that I am not sensitive to high frequencies. who knows? lol

Apr 6, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #382 of 699
One of the SG1 Gold owner passed me new firmware to try out, it consists of two different version, the first one is mild and the second one is rock.
And I have chosen the mild version for testing purpose, in hope for a positive change in my listening experience, especially when paired with IEM, as it was way to exciting for my liking in the old firmware.

I would say this is a game changer for me, as I can now listen the SG1 Gold with my IEM.
Although the sound signature is similar, but it is less energetic and fatigue, less of a roller coaster ride, but more like driving a Ferrari, exciting but manageable.

I am currently using SHOZY ELSA, which is a five BA CIEM for the impression.

The bass is crisp and snappy, full of energy but not overpowering, however it’s not deep and punchy.

The vocal is forward, engaging and no sign of sibilant.

The high is well extended and controlled, not too sharp.

Why I used BA IEM for impression is because I had problem with the previous firmware, it was too energetic and vivid to listen with easy to drive IEM.
The mild firmware eased the problem with my previous concern, although I still get fatigue after some period of listening, however it’s way more manageable and pleasant than the previous firmware.

Surprisingly, it still manages to drive headphone with ease, it feels like the volume increase in a convex pattern, starts small and sharp increase when crank up the volume knob, rather than a more linear approach on the previous firmware.

Despite all the positive words, there is still downside to the SG1 Gold. It runs a lot hotter than the standard SG1 with way less running time, the battery drain way faster than standard one. After all it’s hard to achieve everything in such small package, there must be trade off with all the improvement.

However, I still stand by my word in recommending the standard SG1 for IEM and on the go set up and SG1 Gold for headphone and home/office use.

Finally, a warm reminder that this firmware is only for Gold SG1 and not design for the standard version, please do not mix up the firmware.
Please feel free to PM me or contact Anson directly in aquiring the new firmware.

Newer gold version firmware is 1018 I believe? Or are you talking about a different version?

I feel like the Gold SG1 seems to pair better with BA IEMs too for some reason. U12t and Variations have been good match so far...

Battery life is the only downside. Think I'm averaging about 4hrs with this device. Pretty much have to charge it every time I plan on using it.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #383 of 699
Newer gold version firmware is 1018 I believe? Or are you talking about a different version?

I feel like the Gold SG1 seems to pair better with BA IEMs too for some reason. U12t and Variations have been good match so far...

Battery life is the only downside. Think I'm averaging about 4hrs with this device. Pretty much have to charge it every time I plan on using it.
In last 2 sessions, there was still green light on the indicator after 1,5h of a continuous playback on my gold, so i feel like the battery time could be around 5h on mine which isnt bad. And it charges quite fast, not 3,5h like mentioned in specs.
I agree on the BA iems synergy. Ive found the bass slightly overwhelming on the Monarch Mk2 but the Meteor paires extremely well, even tho they have more bass but its a BA bass, so it doesnt exaggerate with power and depth. I think the excitement and dynamics of the Gold play very well with "boring" iems/headphones, like u12t, Meteor, Monarch 2, hd600, hd650.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #386 of 699
No, its for a standard version, dont install them. Trust me, the standard Gold fw sounds great, no need to experiment.

I should clarify, Sorry.

I have the Standard Version on the way, Not the Gold. So do I use the 2022-1018 or the one in the SG1

Apr 6, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #388 of 699

If you have a standard version, then these firmwares are for you to try :wink:

Yes, I'm trying to identify which one is for the GOLD and which one is for the Standard is what I'm trying to figure out here.

Apr 6, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #390 of 699
Yes, I'm trying to identify which one is for the GOLD and which one is for the Standard is what I'm trying to figure out here.
2022-1018 is for standard edition SG1 and no official gold edition firmware. The golden firmware is customized and not suitable for use on standard SG1 and it is not recommended to use the two interchangeably. You can contact DETHONRAY, service@dethonray.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back