Dethonray Pegasus SG1 - BT DAC/Amp Combo
Mar 22, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #301 of 699
Mar 22, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #302 of 699
@povidlo might know. I don't know if he tried out all the different firmwares. I have not.

The original has 2.8V (32Ω) and I think the Gold is 6V (32Ω).

I don't know the exact value of gold too, but I did a test with HD800. The timbre and stage are excellent.
I am also curious about the firmware , but Anson told me that the the firmware for gold is a customized version, and there is no need to try the normal version!lol

1679505152257.png

Mar 22, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #304 of 699
The Dethonray store on AliExpress is the only place I've seen them.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0BnbT8
Nice, thank you. I have been using this for months with the ie900. Great sinergy for sure. Perfect portable solution. I am afraid the device will be burning hot during the summer. That's why I need the case. :)

Mar 22, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #305 of 699
From what I understand, volume knob is intended to work like that. Dethonray calls it Touch&Feel. Basically, volume changes once the knob is settled in new position. It doesn't adjust while turning, unless there's a large turn. There's very good resistance on the knob, it feels great to adjust it slowly. This mechanism is pretty unique, none of my other knobs behave like that. For me, this plays important part in overall charm of this unit.

1679498073860.png
On Honey H1, I asked Anson because this knob is not a traditional potentiometer or encoder. He told me that traditional potentiometers, when used for a long time, will cause inconsistencies in the volume of the left and right channels. Most of the feedback strength of the encoder felt not good. So he designed a traditional potentiometer to achieve the encoder's function through voltage collection. The design of touch &feel could reserve the good use experience of the potentiometer while avoiding the shortcomings of both. I always think this design is very thoughtful and creative! :gs1000smile:

Mar 28, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #307 of 699
I don't know the exact value of gold too, but I did a test with HD800. The timbre and stage are excellent.
I am also curious about the firmware , but Anson told me that the the firmware for gold is a customized version, and there is no need to try the normal version!lol

1679505152257.png

HD800? So gold is more powerful than my black! Is there a significant difference in timbre between them?

Mar 28, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #309 of 699
Just received the Pegasus and boy oh boy.. what a bass and dynamics! It crashed my head almost. I like it more than the M8!
Well that’s saying something!

Mar 28, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #312 of 699
All daps ive heard sound pale and anemic in comparison. What is going on in lows is really mind boggling.
It isnt as transparent and the M8 but the differences are surprisingly small and i wouldnt trade these couple % of transparency for these dynamics, mids and bass punch.
To my surprise, I have always felt that the HD800 is suitable for classical music, but with SG gold, pop is also very good, has a accurate vocal position, which seems closer and more pleasant to listen to. So I don't quite believe in myself. Is it that SG1 is wrong? Because I have owned the Lakepeople HPA200 , a portable Bluetooth AMP can turn the HD800 into this, which is a bit incredible! lol

Mar 28, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #313 of 699
Really it is poor design to colour an amp or other source like device. They should impart absolutely nothing into the sound. Why on earth when you have end devices like headphones where sound tunings are almost unavoidable and make sense, and or access to DSP would you want an amp/DAC to colour the sound?

Technically that is really a sign of poor engineering. An amp and DAC must get out of the way. Period. That is what they should do. Nothing more. Amplify a signal or convert a signal, not alter it.

Mar 28, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #314 of 699
Really it is poor design to colour an amp or other source like device. They should impart absolutely nothing into the sound. Why on earth when you have end devices like headphones where sound tunings are almost unavoidable and make sense, and or access to DSP would you want an amp/DAC to colour the sound?

Technically that is really a sign of poor engineering. An amp and DAC must get out of the way. Period. That is what they should do. Nothing more. Amplify a signal or convert a signal, not alter it.
Thats all true but.. I remember when i was comparing my previous dap- IBasso dx320 to the Cambridge cxa81, the dx320 sounded brighter, sharper, with shallower bass. The cxa81 sounded darker, meatier, with more punch in bass region and was less sharp on top. Which one measures more correctly? From what i know, the dx320 measures perfectly as the cxa81 does. Why the sound was different?
The Pegasus sounds way more like the cxa81 or other desktop amps/dacs. Its smoother, darker, with meatier bass. I like such sound more with my Monarch Mk2 which are analytical and neutral. Im fed up with brightish, flat sounding sources. To each their own. I dont find the Pegasus sounding incorrect at all, for me its natural. And ive heard, had many high end daps.

Mar 28, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #315 of 699

No, I don't think it's right or wrong, and there shouldn't be such a simple conclusion. Sg1 can make pop good, and classical is also very good. On the aesthetic level, it should be better. Just like the violin, we cannot think of it as just a more right timbre. If all the violins have one right timbre, the world would be too boring. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back