Destroy my iBuds contest!
Aug 19, 2007 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 162

lmilhan

Headphoneus Supremus
Inspired by this thread, I am throwing a 'Destroy my iBUDS contest'!

[size=large]The entries thus far:[/size]

Head-Fi member: ziplock
Death by Neon Sign Transformer!
Pictures

Head-Fi member: saboteur1
Death by Slapshot!
Pictures

Head-Fi member: skudmunky
Death by freakin' Laser Beams!
Video
Pictures

Head-Fi member: necropimp
Death by Explosive Immolation!
Video

Head-fi member: XGFilmsX
Death by Sheriff Blender at High Noon!
Video
Pictures

Head-Fi member: roastpuff
Death By Road Rage!
Video
Pictures

Head-Fi member: Anarchy965
Death by Flaming Aerosol Spray!
Video
Pictures

Head-Fi member: feh1325
Death by Crucifixion!
Pictures

Head-Fi member: stewtheking
Death by Sledgehammer followed by Golf Club Launch!
Pictures
Video

Head-Fi member: Kryosphinx
Death by Stir Fry!
Video

The rules are simple:

Come up with a creative, clever, humorous and entertaining way to destroy your iBUDS. Then take a picture(s) of the destruction in progress, as well as the aftermath. Considering the popularity of YouTube, If you really want to go the extra mile and shoot a video, then feel free to go for it!

Since I don't want to completely alienate non-iPOD fans, any buds that are bundled with any brand of portable audio device will be accepted, however let it be known that iBUDS are the intended primary target. As such, the entries with iBUDS will have a slight advantage when the top 5 entries are picked.

The contest will run for 4 weeks from the date of this post, which makes the cutoff deadline for entries fall on midnight USA Eastern Standard Time, Saturday 9/15/2007. When the contest is over and all entries are considered, my wife and I will pick our top 5 favorite entries. I will then post a poll containing those top 5 entries, where your Head-Fi peers will vote for their favorite. And yes, you are allowed to vote in favor of your own entry. The poll will run for 1 week, and the entry with the highest number of votes will be declared the winner.

How to enter:

This contest is open to all Head-Fi members (except me, of course). If you are interested in participating, post your picture(s) or a link to your video(s) in this thread. Only 1 entry per Head-Fi'er will be allowed, so make it a good one!

#############################################
The winner will receive the following prize package:
#############################################

Prize package addition on 8/19/2007: Headphone themed "Problem -> Solved" T-Shirt.

It is Navy Blue with white lettering, and is sized XL. Sorry, but that's the only size I have. If you aren't an XL, then put some meat on your bones ya' skinny git, or give it away to a friend!

problem_solved.jpg

Here you can see (the always dapper) Mr. John Grado modeling an example of the shirt of which I am speaking:

problem_solved_JG.jpg

Prize package addition on 8/19/2007: 1 pair of Brand New iBuds to replace the ones you destroy!

Just in case you (somehow) think these things actually sound good, I am going to throw in a new pair to replace the ones you destroy. The irony is so thick I can cut it with a knife.
icon10.gif

iBuds.jpg

Prize package addition on 8/20/2007: KOSS Clipz!

Ok to be honest, these things sound pretty poor, which means they sound about 3 times better than iBuds! Feel free to give them away to a friend (to replace his or her iBuds), or perhaps hold on to them just in case someone throws a "Destroy My Clip-Ons" contest - they could come in handy then.
smily_headphones1.gif

KOSS_Clipz.jpg

Prize package addition 8/24/2007: 1 pair of Grado flat pads.

You mean you don't own a pair of Grado headphones? Why the heck not? Go get some! Just kidding. If you happen to not be a Grado fan, and feel you will not have a use for these pads, I am sure you could easily sell this pair of flat pads for around $20 (maybe more?).

Grado_flats.jpg

Prize package addition on 8/31/2007: iRiver 512MB IFP-395T flash MP3 player with custom matched, hand tied skull lanyard made by yours truly!

Also included is the USB interface cable, armband, 1 brand new battery and protective case. Sorry I couldn't find the PC software for this player, but the music manager software and player firmware can be downloaded from the iRiver website.

iRiver1.jpg

Prize package addition on 9/05/2007: 1 brand new pair of Maximo iM-390 iMetal Isolation Earphones.

Head-Fier 'Andrew H' has kindly donated two pairs of these earphones, so the grand prize winner will get a pair, and the runner up will also get a pair! According to 'Andrew H', the winners will be receiving the 'new' version of the Maximo iM-390 iMetal Isolation Earphones, which according to him are a slight improvement over the older version. If you are unfamiliar with these earphones, please feel free to read what your Head-Fi peers have to say about them. More information on these earphones can also be found here. Thanks to Maximo and 'Andrew H' for this wonderful prize donation!

They sure do look sexy, don't they?

imetal_390_prod_lg.jpg

##########################################
Runner up prize package begun on 8/31/2007!
##########################################

Runner up prize package addition on 8/31/2007: iRiver 256MB IFP-190TC flash MP3 player with custom matched, hand tied skull lanyard made by yours truly!

Also included is the USB interface cable, armband, 1 brand new battery and protective case. Sorry I couldn't find the PC software for this player, but the music manager software and player firmware can be downloaded from the iRiver website.

iRiver2.jpg

Runner up prize package addition on 8/31/2007: 1 pair of Brand New iBuds to replace the ones you destroy!

Just in case you (somehow) think these things actually sound good, I am going to throw in a new pair to replace the ones you destroy. The irony is so thick I can cut it with a knife.
icon10.gif

iBuds.jpg

Runner up prize package addition on 9/05/2007: 1 brand new pair of Maximo iM-390 iMetal Isolation Earphones.

Head-Fier 'Andrew H' has kindly donated two pairs of these earphones, so the grand prize winner will get a pair, and the runner up will also get a pair! According to 'Andrew H', the winners will be receiving the 'new' version of the Maximo iM-390 iMetal Isolation Earphones, which according to him are a slight improvement over the older version. If you are unfamiliar with these earphones, please feel free to read what your Head-Fi peers have to say about them. More information on these earphones can also be found here. Thanks to Maximo and 'Andrew H' for this wonderful prize donation!

imetal_390_prod_lg.jpg

I can promise that as the days go by, I will be adding a trinket here and there to sweeten the pot (dependent upon the amount of interest this contest generates, and how many entries are submitted). My hopes are that this contest will draw enough attention and interest that maybe some Head-Fi sponsors or perhaps some Head-Fi members will donate a prize to sweeten the prize package. But since there is no guarantee that will happen, I can only promise the trinkets that I will be adding to the prize package as a "sure thing".

Prize package donations:

If you are interested in donating a trinket to add to the prize package, it would be greatly appreciated! I am confident that the more prizes added to the prize package, the more successful the contest will be. Please feel free to send me a private message so we can make the arrangements if you would like to donate. Please note: If you are one of the people who donate a gift to add to the prize package, you may still enter the contest if you so desire!

Disclaimer:

I reserve the right to cancel this contest in the event that there aren't enough participants (IE less than 5 entrants). Also, please use common sense when destroying your iBUDS. Don't do anything stupid and accidentally take yourself (or someone else) out of the gene pool. Take any safety precautions needed (if the situation calls for it) to ensure that you don't hurt yourself or someone else, or animals, etc. For example, when appropriate, wear safety glasses, flame retardant suits, etc.
icon10.gif
I refuse to be held accountable if you manage to somehow abandon common sense and hurt yourself, someone else, an animal, or damage your (or someone elses) property.

Why am I running this contest?:

Mainly to fulfill my own diabolical entertainment needs. But I am also throwing this contest in order to reclaim some communal Head-Fi sanity. I can't believe there is a thread here at Head-Fi where people are actually claiming that iBuds "don't sound that bad"! Out of respect for those individuals, you are of course entitled to your opinion, but I obviously couldn't disagree more, and I am throwing this contest to demonstrate that point. I want Head-Fi as a community to demonstrate its disdain for iBuds. Think of it as a passive-aggressive protest against all of those craptastic earbuds and headphones that are packaged with portable consumer grade MP3 and CD players.

Let's see how creative you are, and what clever ways you can come up with for destroying your iBuds. Here is a chance for the Head-Fi community to show the world what we really think of iBuds! Let the games begin! Stay safe, and have fun!

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #6 of 162
DISCLAIMER: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPEAT ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES. DOING SO MAY RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS.

Alright folks, with that out of the way. Let me present to you my version of Death of the iBuds!

Perfectly happy little iBuds just hanging out on top of my speaker. As you can see, they are in great condition!

iBuds.jpg

Welcome to my little friend the Neon Sign Transformer...

NST.jpg

This little guy is a bit of a lightweight, but should get the job done @ only 6500 volts.....

NST2.jpg

Commence operation iZap!

BurnBaby.jpg

Ouch that hurts, quit it!

Bzzzzap.jpg

OK, we give up!

TadaWellDone.jpg

As you can see, these guys are history!

Whatisthatsmell.jpg

I hope you all enjoyed the show! Good luck to everyone.
biggrin.gif

Edit: Death has been confirmed. These roasty toasties do not even crackle with my shuffle hooked up... buahaha. Hmm, I wonder if these will be covered by AppleCare?

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #10 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by ziplock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't wait to see... lol

No, I wasnt poking fun, 6500 volts into 65mA is a lot from standard 120v wall power. I cant top that.

Someone needs to take an acetylene torch to a pair, or an arch welder (ground it to the jack of the headphone).

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #13 of 162
Kill them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back