despite a luke warm review on what hi-fi..and limited other info.. I ordered these. JVC HA-SR85S-B-E's
Dec 29, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 15
Never even heard of those before, but the two JVCKenwood headphones I've owned have both been excellent performers - they seem to make good headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have had a few JVC headphones and also liked them.. honestly this time I just really liked the design and had some xmas monies burning a hole in my pocket ..decided I needed to own these.

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 15
So... these arrived from Japan.. today ~3weeks shipping time.

and the seller packaged them fine.. JVC on the other hand are apparently kinda sloppy..  anyways the box has a display side on the left and there was no plastic film over the left earcup.. and it had a diagonal scratch down the entire left earcup.. =\

happily it is not very deep and I mostly buffed it out.. paying return shipping to Japan wouldn't make sense (i don't think) soooo I'm going to live with it I guess..    It did start things off on a bad foot if I'm honest.. other than the stupid packaging by JVC.. they seem well made (minus the scratch) and the sliders feel good and solid..  earpads are comfortable..

BUT these things are heavy.. you are going to know they are on your head.    Now I like me some bass.. but errr letting them burn in some.. the bass seems a bit much out of the box..    I didn't pay a lot for these and I wanted something and the only other thing that was really doing much for me was the Superlux HD330's which didn't make much sense since i have the DT770's and DT880's ..   I wanted some headphones nobody else around here in America is likely to have.. and I certainly got that..    

I wouldn't totally, recommend them... I'm pretty bummed about them showing up scratched..  and out of the box the sound is something that only a basshead is going to care for.

But they are different and so I am still glad~ish I got them...

JVC.. your packaging for this model at least is garbage however... very not happy with the way these are packaged..

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 15
  So... these arrived from Japan.. today ~3weeks shipping time.

and the seller packaged them fine.. JVC on the other hand are apparently kinda sloppy..  anyways the box has a display side on the left and there was no plastic film over the left earcup.. and it had a diagonal scratch down the entire left earcup.. =\

happily it is not very deep and I mostly buffed it out.. paying return shipping to Japan wouldn't make sense (i don't think) soooo I'm going to live with it I guess..    It did start things off on a bad foot if I'm honest.. other than the stupid packaging by JVC.. they seem well made (minus the scratch) and the sliders feel good and solid..  earpads are comfortable..

BUT these things are heavy.. you are going to know they are on your head.    Now I like me some bass.. but errr letting them burn in some.. the bass seems a bit much out of the box..    I didn't pay a lot for these and I wanted something and the only other thing that was really doing much for me was the Superlux HD330's which didn't make much sense since i have the DT770's and DT880's ..   I wanted some headphones nobody else around here in America is likely to have.. and I certainly got that..    

I wouldn't totally, recommend them... I'm pretty bummed about them showing up scratched..  and out of the box the sound is something that only a basshead is going to care for.

But they are different and so I am still glad~ish I got them...

JVC.. your packaging for this model at least is garbage however... very not happy with the way these are packaged..

It's always possible the bass could smoothen out after a bit of burn-in time. --)

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #6 of 15
  It's always possible the bass could smoothen out after a bit of burn-in time. --)

true enough..  I need to listen to them later after I'm not all ticked off about the scratch also... man I was p*ssed when I saw that after waiting 3weeks for these.. ha.. oh well mostly buffed out.. I'll try to give them a chance here..

I'm pretty certain these are going to be headphones for people that enjoy the bass however...

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #7 of 15

Based on the two "high end" JVCKenwood cans I've owned (HP-DX1000 and KH-K1000), JVC does not package things with United Parcel Smashers in mind. The K1000 literally came loose in a cardboard box with a piece of paper wrapped around them and taped on one side; the DX1000 sit loose on a fabric-covered plastic insert in a box. :xf_eek:

Glad to hear they arrived and they seem to be doing at least something right for you. Are the square pads comfortable?

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 15
Based on the two "high end" JVCKenwood cans I've owned (HP-DX1000 and KH-K1000), JVC does not package things with United Parcel Smashers in mind. The K1000 literally came loose in a cardboard box with a piece of paper wrapped around them and taped on one side; the DX1000 sit loose on a fabric-covered plastic insert in a box.
redface.gif

Glad to hear they arrived and they seem to be doing at least something right for you. Are the square pads comfortable?

yeah. the ear cups are rectangles but they side sort of angled.. (see pic) I'm pretty big and most headphones don't have my ears fit all the way inside.. these actually fit my ears entirely so that is kinda cool.

I hope JVC reads this or something and works on the packaging on their headphones.. but whatever.. if these had been amazon prime they'd have been a return on the poor packaging / scratch..but coming from Japan and all I guess going to have to suck it up.

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #12 of 15
I hope JVC reads this or something and works on the packaging on their headphones.. but whatever..

I completely agree with you, but I'm guessing their response would be along the lines of: "these are intended only for Japanese distribution and we don't care and won't listen because you're dealing with grey imports" and then they'd probably turn around and blame the distributor/importer. :xf_eek:

Nice that they fit. :)

Jan 18, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #13 of 15
bahahahaha.... so looked in the box and to add injury to insult of the scratched in the box.. JVC thew in a little cleaning cloth.. that is super JVC how about not scratching these before I ever open the ****ing box??   Well.. I have to admit that made me chuckle.. and since I seem to have fixed the scratch well enough..kinda funny now.. still JVC fix your packaging .. seriously..

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #14 of 15
sound of these is growing on me... don't buy these if you don't like the BASS however.. because they have a lot of it... quite a lot actually...

it is pretty good as long as you dig the bass, mids pretty present highs not fatiguing .. good fun sound..

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #15 of 15
I have had these for a few weeks now... they actually sound pretty good.. if you like "fun" headphones.. certainly bassier headphones

the fit is ok now.. after I stretched the headband over the box for my computer power supply for ~a week.

I am still a bit bummed they came scratches..but it polished out.. they are sort of prone to scratching on the ear cups anyways.. honestly.. but they are kinda nice if you want some headphone you are not likely to see other people with all that often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back