Desperately need HELP with iFi iDsD Black Label
Jul 13, 2018 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

notorious4163

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. Question about the black label iDSD micro. You guys are angels. Can someone explain? (EDM Mainly)

Is the light supposed to turn solid green (not flashing) when you turn it on/when it’s on? (or is it supposed to turn blue?)

What do you guys recommend for

1)Polarity + or -

2) off, high sensitivity, or ultra senestivity

3) bit perfect, minimum, or standard

(For EDM, Dance Music, Little bit of rap)

Jul 13, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 4
Screenshot (7).png

1)Polarity + or - / if in doubt always +

2) off, high sensitivity, or ultra senestivity / This is only for iem's and choice is determined by the iem's sensitivity. If using OE's set to OFF

3) bit perfect, minimum, or standard / Your choice though I stick with bit perfect

hth

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 4

1)Polarity + or - / if in doubt always +

2) off, high sensitivity, or ultra senestivity / This is only for iem's and choice is determined by the iem's sensitivity. If using OE's set to OFF

3) bit perfect, minimum, or standard / Your choice though I stick with bit perfect

hth

thank you so much. and i’m looking for the best sound quality i’m using the Atlas, do i use ultra or high senstivity or off and what does OE mean?

Edit: ultra makes the volume too low, so it’s either high senstivity or off with the atlas? which do u recommend for sq? what’s the tech? what does it’s do?

Also there’s also a switch at the bottom that says preamplifier or direct which one should i keep it at?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 4
Pre- amp or direct is a switch with which you can use the rca output on the back of the device. Either you use it as a pure dac without volume control (direct) or like a pre-amp with volume control when you have eg big amps without volume control connected and need to control the volume somewhere.

Makes no difference if you use only the headphone output.

As for the iem match settings. If I recommends using the setting where comfortable listening volumes are between 12 and 3 o’clock of the volume pot. That’s when the amp delivers the best performance, the sweet spot so to say. So if you are on 9 -11 o’clock with the volume pot then use one more setting to reduce the output. Also the disc has a bit of channel imbalance in the very low volume area, hence the recommendation to lower the output and then turn up the volume. It’s analogue by nature and hence a bit of imbalance at low areas of the volume pot is normal but completely goes away with higher areas.

OE= over ear, he means big cans that need more power.

Ifi has a few good resources in their links selection on their website. To read up about the tech used, check out the blog, tech notes etc. interesting reads. And since most of their technology is used in many of their products you should read them all :)

Edit: oh and for digital filters, I prefer standard, it was designe to be, well the standard listening filter to give you the most enjoyment. But again, it’s your ears and your taste so choose what you like best.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back