Desktop AMP for CIEMs, under $250?
Mar 30, 2012 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DougofTheAbaci

1000+ Head-Fier
I recently got a set of Heir Audio 4.A's and so far I love them. However, I'm given to understand I can get better sound out of an AMP. Also, I have an issue with volume on my computer where, if I'm in Windows, the audio coming out is so loud that I have to have it near zero just to listen at a comfortable level. Thus: AMP.

So I've been doing some research but so far can't find exactly what I'm looking for. My use case will be with my 4.A's most of the time, though sometimes I'll use them with a pair of Denon AH-D2000's.

Some additional features I'd like are:
 - Second output for use with self-powered speakers.
 - User-selectable cross-fade.

The source, currently, is my a bunch of ALAC and high-bitrate AACs from iTunes on my iMac. Eventually I'll add a DAC to the mix. I'd be willing to go a bit over my $250 budget if I can get an all-in-one package. Of all the things I care about this being able to drive it's my CIEMs. They're the reason I'm even considering an AMP at this point so they're what I care about most.

If it wasn't for the additional features, I was almost considering an Asgard, though I was concerned it might be a bit over-powered for use with some IEMs.

What do you guys suggest? I'm not concerned with portability.

Hmm. I know I said I'm not concerned about portability but what do people think of the iBasso D7:
http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=77

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 5
Lots of inexpensive amps out there. I'd try a CMOY or Objective 2 or Leckerton or one of the FiiO dac/amps. I know you said not aiming for portable, but most of the amps that are designed to run these types of loads are portables.

The Objective 2 has a desktop dac/amp version coming out 'soon' but no idea the retail price, but it should be close and do a good job, but you will have to wait for it like I am.

Also Matrix M-stage is $250 and has good characteristics for IEMs.

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 5
O2 is great for IEMs because of the very very low noise and low output impedance.  It doesn't have a second output though.  The upcoming desktop version (a few months away until availability?  who knows for sure), the ODA, probably will though, and as mentioned above there will be an optional DAC module with that.  Based on current O2 price of around $150 and I think the DAC planned for being in the range of $100 I would be surprised if the complete desktop amp + DAC would cost over $300.  The channel balance at low volumes is also better than most cheaper stuff with an analog volume control.

However, note that the DAC module will fit in the current (trans)portable-sized O2, when it is released.  You could just get an O2 and add in the DAC later if you want.  I think that will require some very elementary soldering to add in, just a few connections though.

If you got one, ask the builder to configure the low gain for 1x, though you can change it to that without any tools by yourself, later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back