Denon HP700 versus M-Audio Q40? Which is better for me?
May 7, 2012 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lubczyk

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have the:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Panasonic HTF-600
Phillips Citiscape Uptown

Fiio e6 Amp
Turtlebeach DSS

I curently enjoy the Citiscape Downtown's the most for their forward mids and deep extended thumpy bass that isn't boomy compared to the HTF-600 and the ATH-M50.

I enjoy bass that is thumpy, accurate and not boomy like the Beats by Dre are.

I'm currently looking at the M-Audio Q40 and the Denon HP700.

Which has more forward mids and a deeper, punchier bass that is not boomy?

May 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #2 of 11
The M-Audio Q40 has what you're looking for but TBH I don't think it would be an improvement over the M50 that you already have. If you're looking to try some more headphones, why not go for some open cans instead? They'll at least offer something that your closed cans can't.

May 7, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
The M-Audio Q40 has what you're looking for but TBH I don't think it would be an improvement over the M50 that you already have. If you're looking to try some more headphones, why not go for some open cans instead? They'll at least offer something that your closed cans can't.

Any Open cans with forward mids and deep, punchy bass that's not boomy?

May 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 11
To me Q40 is a lot better than M50. Can't go wrong with either Q40 or HP700. Both are delivering what you're looking for, then it depends on taste a bit between those 2, slightly less bass and more treble presence => HP700, slightly smoother upper range (warmer) + slightly more bass => Q40. Both have a neutral/slightly forward midrange for the bass response concidered, at least that's what I concider these doing exceptionally well, strong bass (basshead quantities) + forward mids, not too common sight.

Q40 delivers punchier bass between the two and they are quite similarly forward and sounding in the mids (HP700 ever so slightly "sharper"/clearer defined), they have similar bass response qualities but both benefit from amping a bit, especially for Q40 which have an impedance peak in the bass range means it'll benefit extra much from amping in terms of bass quantity boost but even unamped it's slightly ahead HP700 there, at least in deep bass extension, HP700 have roughly M50 (bassheavy version) or very slightly above that quantity bass, the Q40 a bit more.

May 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
*Looks at price, spits out coffee*

"Perhaps anything in the $100-ish range?"

Open cans tend not to have very punchy or deep bass, particularly at that price point...
I can think of one exception off the top of my head - the KOSS UR40.
They only cost about 40$ and this low price is very evident in their build quality - its all cheap, light plastic that is not very durable at all. 
They actually sound surprising good though, so they might be worth considering.

I'm not much of a basshead though so I can't say that I've been paying a lot of attention to open-back basshead cans at any price point. I am sure some other more knowledgeable people around here can be of more help.

May 7, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Hmmm... How does the the Ultrasone 2400 stack up to the Q40?

One is open, one is closed, so they can't really be fairly compared. The Ultrasone's soundstage is far wider than the Q40s and the bass is not as boomy. Bass quantity is more or less the same but quality is in Ultrasone's favor. Mids are decent on both but don't really impress hugely, they are just there. Ultrasone has harsher mids and treble than the Q40, has a tendency to sound piercing with some vocals, but not as much as closed Ultrasones. Ultrasone is far more detailed-sounding and clear, but at the expense of sometimes being sibilant, depending on recording.

May 9, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
One is open, one is closed, so they can't really be fairly compared. The Ultrasone's soundstage is far wider than the Q40s and the bass is not as boomy. Bass quantity is more or less the same but quality is in Ultrasone's favor. Mids are decent on both but don't really impress hugely, they are just there. Ultrasone has harsher mids and treble than the Q40, has a tendency to sound piercing with some vocals, but not as much as closed Ultrasones. Ultrasone is far more detailed-sounding and clear, but at the expense of sometimes being sibilant, depending on recording.

Ok, I'm leaning towards the Q40s. Will the Fiio e17 power them enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back