Denon DP-55K Turntable
May 18, 2008 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gz76

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone here has much experience with this direct-drive turntable? What cartridges/arms do you use with it? How does it sound? I've had a quick look around Google but haven't found much info or opinions. Anyone care to share their thoughts?

May 18, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 6
In general the higher end direct drive decks were top notch. Most of the crappy press they got was with the cheaper DD decks that were made for the majority of consumers. I have recently gotten into Sony DD decks and own a sony PS-X7 and a PS-X500 and both are great. If you shop carefully you can get them pretty cheap $50-$250 depending on the make and model.

There are alot of great cart choices out there many like the denon carts and they should mate well with the table you mentioned. I am using a zyx bloom on my sonys and love the sound I am getting. Do not feel as though if you buy a used table for $100 it does not deserve a great cart. To put it in perspective. that table most likely sold for $500-$600 new in the early 80s. adjusted for today that table would have sold for $1250-$2000 depending on the index you use to project past dollar value to the present.

These table represent far better value than the entry level rega, music hall and project decks and can play in the linn lp12 range for sure. They were at the state of the art for Japan at the apex of their audio manufacturing. I would purchase the denon over the vpi scount in a heartbeat.

May 18, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 6
Well I saw one go for U$400 on eBay not so long ago. They are above the regular suspects mentioned in the U$300 price range, and well worth a purchase if you are going vinyl.

May 21, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #5 of 6
Will check out that link, thanks.

I'm curious about this table as I have the option to buy one fitted with an Ortofon MC20 on what could be a Grace arm (need to double check). I believe you can get different arm-boards for it tho, so was wondering what arms work best with it.

May 21, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
an Ortofon MC20 on what could be a Grace arm (need to double check). I believe you can get different arm-boards for it tho,

You'll probably want to make a new plinth for it anyway. Most of these old arms are only worth money to collectors really so don't over pay for one. If you get it thrown in for a reasonable amount then so much the better as you can usually sell them at a profit. In performance terms a Rega RB250 will be as good or better especially when you take into account cartridge matching issues.

On that score, as far as the MC20 goes it'll probably need a re-tip which is going to cost more than a decent modern MM so don't pay anything too inflated for that either. Modern Ortofon MC's like the Rhondos are in another class altogether.

It's all in the link above anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back