Denon DN HP700 VS M Audio Q40, M50 with more bass! Something Under $150 USD and available to NZ
Jul 28, 2012 at 8:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

plo009

New Head-Fier
I apologize for my messy paragraphs, but i really want to make up my mind on a pair of decent headphones with good bass as music from my old senheiser earbuds really don't sound as good as they used to be after using the m50s for several months.

Long story short, I have been replaced with a brand new pair of ATH M50 after the pleather earpads dried up and cracked which i have decided to sell and and use the money to buy another pair of headphones around $200 NZD(~$130USD+~25usd shipping if available) which can either be bought in New Zealand or shipped to it at a reasonable price(20~30USD). 

I enjoyed using the m50s for music and gaming, but the bass just isn't enough for me even after several hours of burn in with pink and white noise or even an e17 amp which i returned after not hearing much difference at all.

There isn't that many audio shops in NZ and a much smaller range of headphones for trying so most of the information i have is purely collected from reviews and posts of users on headfi.

After a bit of snooping around on headfi forum I narrowed down my options to the HP700 and Q40. from what i've read, the denon hp700 has slightly less bass response compared to the q40 but a much bigger soundstage? The hp700 also has a vertical swivel which the q40s doesn't. The q40 can be modded with dt770 velour pads for added comfort and better soundstage?

The ultrasone 580 seems  a good option as well but they seem to have recessed mids compared to q40s?

Any other recommendations are welcomed, I did notice that several headphones on Amazon and Ebay do not ship to NZ due to different reasons so my options are somewhat limited :/. 

I normally listen to jpop, techno/trance, touhou remixes, orchestra battle music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back