Denon D7100?!
Jun 21, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #736 of 1,920
Quote:
Saying "it's flat except for the massive bass accentuation" is kind of like saying "it's flat except for the parts where it's not flat" lol. It's a very highly colored headphone, and even among the Denon line it's the warmest of the three so I wouldn't even say it's the most accurate even in that context. No matter how you look at it it's nowhere near neutral.

I never intended to convey that it was neutral.  Heck, I wouldn't convey HD650 as neutral, and that's far more neutral than any Denon
wink.gif

"It's flat except where it's not" is probably the best description of D5K I can think of
tongue.gif
I really meant that it's not a "U" signature, not that it's it's neutral.

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #737 of 1,920
Quote:

If they didn't buy patents, they're riding very close but just out of range by infringing them.  The fabric diaphragms (microfiber/"nanofiber") are a common material, and outside Foster I'm aware of no other microfiber headphone driver diaphragm.  Silk is used out there especially with some old orthos, but not many cloth drivers at all. 

There can't be that many brands that would to the OEM. Especially not US-based ones.  Boston seems the most likely idea, even if they don't previously have headphone experience.  How hard could it be for accomplished speaker design engineers to dissect some D7ks and figure out what makes them tick and make a scaled-down speaker design.  And no doubt as a major brand distributor, Denon has some special access to the white papers for the original designs in their contract.

You describe the U shape of D7k & D2k, but I happen to like the flat shape of D5k.  It would be a shame if they were to stop offering that signature, because short of the slightly uncontrolled bass, it does it so well.  I don't think D5k sounds "similar" to the others, and I doubt the new ones are truly "similar" even if they are Foster (which they're not.)  I'm just wondering if they'll be truly sealed.  That would make them kind of interesting.  But I don't see how they could continue offering that kind of bass response without porting them somewhere.

Quote:
actually the free edge thing... That is borrowed from speaker technology, makes Boston sound more probable. 

Silk used as diaphragm in orthos - let us know, IEMCrazy. The Denon D2000, D5000 and D7000 drivers are made from bio-cellulose (or "paper" as somenone wittily remarked) with microfibre as structural base. Sony did something similar earlier and I must say these type of drivers demonstrate a certain a crispnesss that seems unique to the material, but it's difficult to tame the high frequency resonance. It's stiff, that's why they have to be of "free edge design" with a suspension to be able to move. PET diaphragms has an inbuilt flexibility. Pioneer developed the free edge design ages ago, probably because they wanted the improved transient response of a stiff diphragm:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/612176/denon-officially-announces-its-new-headphones/30#post_8418862

Jul 5, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #740 of 1,920
The Denon AHD 7000 were my official dream headphones and to know that they will be replaced with this AHD 7100 atrocity is just beyond heartbreaking. I may give them a try someday, but my dream of getting the AHD 7000 has been destroyed. I would've saved up since 2009 and bought them or even the AHD 5000 had I know that their time was drawing towards an end. :frowning2:

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #741 of 1,920
Quote:
The Denon AHD 7000 were my official dream headphones and to know that they will be replaced with this AHD 7100 atrocity is just beyond heartbreaking. I may give them a try someday, but my dream of getting the AHD 7000 has been destroyed. I would've saved up since 2009 and bought them or even the AHD 5000 had I know that their time was drawing towards an end.
frown.gif

if you still want them there are still a few websites that sell the D7000s - new -.. don't know why your dream of getting them have been destroyed if you can still get them.

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #742 of 1,920
Quote:
The Denon AHD 7000 were my official dream headphones and to know that they will be replaced with this AHD 7100 atrocity is just beyond heartbreaking. I may give them a try someday, but my dream of getting the AHD 7000 has been destroyed. I would've saved up since 2009 and bought them or even the AHD 5000 had I know that their time was drawing towards an end.
frown.gif

Get the fostex TH900 instead.

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #743 of 1,920
Jul 7, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #744 of 1,920
I haven't checked into this thread in a while and there's tons of new pics!  There really only seem to be pics of the D7100 floating around ATM but I'm anxious to read some reviews on all three models. 
I can say the D7100 looks like it has the most comfortable pads ever.

Jul 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #746 of 1,920
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2012/05/30/denon-new-headphones-new-docks-new-look
That got posted in the D2k/D5k thread for some reason.

What's this Control Wheel they mention on the Urban Raver lineup?  First I've heard of it, maybe I missed it in this thread?  They mentioned it on the D400 as well that lights up blue.
I might be more than a little disappointed that they are putting lights in headphones over at Denon.

Jul 10, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #748 of 1,920
Quote:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2012/05/30/denon-new-headphones-new-docks-new-look
That got posted in the D2k/D5k thread for some reason.

What's this Control Wheel they mention on the Urban Raver lineup?  First I've heard of it, maybe I missed it in this thread?  They mentioned it on the D400 as well that lights up blue.
I might be more than a little disappointed that they are putting lights in headphones over at Denon.

'small form factor" what a joke - they are HUGE.  & x2 on the lights - terrible.

Jul 12, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #749 of 1,920
Don't know of this has been posted before or not, but this is somewhat of a listening 'review' if that's what you want to call it. There does appear to be more than a little Denon ass kissing going on but if you are truly craving some insights this is the best I could find. Still, the guys claims really seem ludicrous and biased, as I can't see him listing a single fault, making it seem like he is saying they are perfect and we know there is no such thing.

http://yklee118.blogspot.com/2012/06/launch-of-new-denon-ah-d7100.html?m=1

Jul 13, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #750 of 1,920
No offense intended to you , but the linked article reads like gibberish. I know that audio is hard thing to describe, but that article reads more like marketing fluff than a real review.
Quote:
Don't know of this has been posted before or not, but this is somewhat of a listening 'review' if that's what you want to call it. There does appear to be more than a little Denon ass kissing going on but if you are truly craving some insights this is the best I could find. Still, the guys claims really seem ludicrous and biased, as I can't see him listing a single fault, making it seem like he is saying they are perfect and we know there is no such thing.
http://yklee118.blogspot.com/2012/06/launch-of-new-denon-ah-d7100.html?m=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back