Denon D7100?!
Sep 26, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #931 of 1,920
Quote:
lol i like that list... though i've never tried the pxc450s.

Ya I was surprised by PXC450, earpads are so smooth, smoother than Ultrasone Edition8.
Personally I never liked ed8 the cups are so small and clamping force is just as bad as Monster Beats Pro. :)

Sep 26, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #932 of 1,920
Quote:
Yes the LCD2's were very uncomfortable for me.. the headband and the weight were just too much.
The Q701s have good bass, not as punch and deep as the D7000.
The HD650 is a step down from the D7000 in every aspect IMO, still a great headphone but the D7000 does just about everything better and is more comfortable.
Honestly if you are willing to spend $1500 I would save up until you can get the TH900s (which can be had for $2000) because they are the natural step up from the D7000s and since you are already enjoying the D7000s you will very much enjoy the TH900s.. same level of comfort, better audio experience, even more beautiful than the D7000s. 

Another headphone you can try is the Beyerdynamic T1, I didn't feel like the bass was all that punchy but i've read many people who enjoy rock with the T1 headphones (I personally listen to electronic and the T1s werent for me).
Also the HD800s with the right amp can have a decent amount of bass and they have a very unique sound that you may enjoy (I would suggest demo'ing before purchase - of course) but those are right at your price range and they are one of the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn.

From people I trust I get that HD800 are a very specific headphones that don't sound very natural - rather artificial even though they should be very detailed and analytical... This is not what I want - and I also don't want that high impedance, see: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800B.pdf

T1 are even worse... 600 ohms impedance? Not really, I don't want to spend that much money for absolutely inflexible phones.

Sep 26, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #933 of 1,920
Quote:

From someone who owns HD800, D7000, T1, LCD-2, HD650, Q701, ... it is a very useful opinion :) Why do you not like HD650 comfort level very much?

Hmmm, I thought HD650 has impedance of 300 ohms but it seems different: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD650.pdf That makes it not very suitable for me, I would rather get something with impedance up to 100 ohms =/

It could be just me but HD650 gives me lot of pressure just above my ears, and my ears were touching the drivers and I don't have hobbit ears :)

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #934 of 1,920
Quote:

That's a FANTASTIC post man! I am very grateful :) WE HAVE QUITE THE SAME PREFERENCES (more smooth treble, quality tig

Fostex T50RP modded yourself or Mad Dog from Mr Speakers or LFF.
I own this headphone anda they sound fantastic & very comfortable to me, They are very netrual without the sparking trebe and bass is tight and deep. They are an all around can. It t has an amazing amount of details, much more than the Sen HD650. And yet, they are very easy to drive. You can listen directly from a portable device player.
Mr Speakers offer a 15 days return no question ask. Why not give it a try?
I was considered a Fostex TH900 as well, but 2 grand is just too much for me atm.

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #935 of 1,920
Quote:
it is quite a request so I'll keep it brief/subjective to my tastes.. I added the T1/ D7000/ Signature Pro as a reference to broaden the comparison.
to note: I like warmer/smooth treble signature, deep impactful bass, and comfort is very important (I prefer velour to leather pads)

Bass: D7000>LCD2>Signature Pro=T1>HD650>DT990>HE500>Q701
- IMO the D7000s have the best bass in terms of musical enjoyment

Treble: Q701>LCD2>Signature Pro>D7000>T1>HE500>HD650>DT990

<3<3<3 I think the same to you:D after so many claims such as: the D7000's bass is overwhelming, bad..I still believe the bass on the Denons is just so great, fun and on par (if not tighter, more solid/impact) to the LCD-2's bass.
The treble on the LCD-2 r2 has a great quality/quantity too (not like many folks said)

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #936 of 1,920
Quote:
<3<3<3 I think the same to you:D after so many claims such as: the D7000's bass is overwhelming, bad..I still believe the bass on the Denons is just so great, fun and on par (if not tighter, more solid/impact) to the LCD-2's bass.
The treble on the LCD-2 r2 has a great quality/quantity too (not like many folks said)

>_< saying the denons have tighter bass than the Audeze is just nuts .. !! I've listened to the D7000 and I own the D5000, there's no way in hell you could say that, believe me there's a problem with your setup, they indeed have MORE and subwooferish like bass but it's just can sound muddy against the rock solid bass of the LCD-2s. though i agree with what you said about the treble 100%.

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #937 of 1,920
Quote:
>_< saying the denons have tighter bass than the Audeze is just nuts .. !! I've listened to the D7000 and I own the D5000, there's no way in hell you could say that, believe me there's a problem with your setup, they indeed have MORE and subwooferish like bass but it's just can sound muddy against the rock solid bass of the LCD-2s. though i agree with what you said about the treble 100%.

Well, having owned the D7000s and LCD2s I spent ample time with both. I dont think its fair to compare/categorize the D5000s and the D7000s as if they are on a similar level.. its like comparing the LCD2 and LCD3 IMO (don't know if that was your intention by mentioning the D5000s).. But every system brings out a different character, with my setup I preferred the bass on the D7000s to the LD2s (not by a huge margin, but still...).

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #938 of 1,920
Quote:
Well, having owned the D7000s and LCD2s I spent ample time with both. I dont think its fair to compare/categorize the D5000s and the D7000s as if they are on a similar level.. its like comparing the LCD2 and LCD3 IMO (don't know if that was your intention by mentioning the D5000s).. But every system brings out a different character, with my setup I preferred the bass on the D7000s to the LD2s (not by a huge margin, but still...).

D7000 <- WA6SE ? That is the one rare tube exception thats supposed to be one of the best amps from my research for the Denons. 

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #939 of 1,920
Denons are of 25 ohm impedance... I am suspicious that almost no one even care and just drives them with the completely same amp as they do with 600 ohm T1s 
confused_face.gif
 The thing is that badly driven low impedance phones results in bloated and lossy bass (along with higher level of overall distortion).

The bass of D7000 when driving them with Fiio E9 (10 ohm output impedance) is not bad but not as tight as it should be. But with anything suitable (even Fiio E11 with near to zero impedance), the bass became tight and detailed as hell!

You HAVE TO drive denons with an amp of output impedance up to 25/8 = 3 ohms!!! Also, you should avoid some weaker portable amps which are not able to deliver enough current to them (this is where E11 is also not absolutely ideal)!

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #940 of 1,920
Quote:
Denons are of 25 ohm impedance... I am suspicious that almost no one even care and just drives them with the completely same amp as they do with 600 ohm T1s 
confused_face.gif
 The thing is that badly driven low impedance phones results in bloated and lossy bass (along with higher level of overall distortion).

The bass of D7000 when driving them with Fiio E9 (10 ohm output impedance) is not bad but not as tight as it should be. But with anything suitable (even Fiio E11 with near to zero impedance), the bass became tight and detailed as hell!

You HAVE TO drive denons with an amp of output impedance up to 25/8 = 3 ohms!!! Also, you should avoid some weaker portable amps which are not able to deliver enough current to them (this is where E11 is also not absolutely ideal)!

check my sig

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #941 of 1,920
Quote:
check my sig

This was not intented for you :) I just wanted to inform those who tests bunch of headphones on the absolutely same (tube) amplifier... And then say things like "T1 are the best and D7000 are crappy". 
confused_face.gif
 About those impedance adapters, not sure if its completely allright... But for sure a lot better to use it than not with low-impedance headphones.

Wait - you use Xonar STX's amp? Why don't you get anything better as an amp and use STX's DAC section along with RCA output? Much better IMHO (I own ST version) :)

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #942 of 1,920
Quote:
D7000 <- WA6SE ? That is the one rare tube exception thats supposed to be one of the best amps from my research for the Denons. 

Yea the WA6SE with the right tubes made the D7000s sing... very enjoyable experience; I'm sure there are better amps out there but for now I'm happy with my amp.

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #943 of 1,920
Quote:
Yea the WA6SE with the right tubes made the D7000s sing... very enjoyable experience; I'm sure there are better amps out there but for now I'm happy with my amp.

actually you should probably read the second link in my sig too - you will realise the WA6SE is one of the best amps you can get for the Denons - its an exception to the usual SS recommendations. I am interested to know what tubes you are using.

Quote:

This was not intented for you :) I just wanted to inform those who tests bunch of headphones on the absolutely same (tube) amplifier... And then say things like "T1 are the best and D7000 are crappy". 
confused_face.gif
 About those impedance adapters, not sure if its completely allright... But for sure a lot better to use it than not with low-impedance headphones.

Wait - you use Xonar STX's amp? Why don't you get anything better as an amp and use STX's DAC section along with RCA output? Much better IMHO (I own ST version) :)

was referring to the second link in my sig. The Denon Dx000 amps

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #944 of 1,920
Quote:

i just mentioned them cause they're even have more boomy bass than D7k ( the D7k and D5k are more similar than you think, just a tad more quality treble and controlled bass on the D7k and that's why i chose the D5k over them cause i was a total basshead
tongue.gif
). In fact I really like the Denons and I consider them the best under 1K$ after the Audeze. And remember we have different taste but i'm just surprised that someone said the bass on the Denons is harder than Audeze.

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #945 of 1,920
Quote:
was referring to the second link in my sig. The Denon Dx000 amps

Approved!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back