Denon D5000 VS. D7000
Nov 6, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #61 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked them up from Headroom. They are going for $699 if you call them. And probably the best headphone company out there!

Well I got mine earlier this year from JR for less than $600... those deals were all gone~

Nov 6, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #62 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked them up from Headroom. They are going for $699 if you call them. And probably the best headphone company out there!

beerchug.gif

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #63 of 90
Assuming that you can get them on Amazon for about $375 for the D5000 and $575 for the D7000, (used - like new condition) ... is that extra $200 worth the difference in the two phones? Some people are saying the D5k has better bass... some people seem to even prefer the D5k in all areas. Anyone got the scoop? Thanks in advance.

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #64 of 90
I've got both. I use the D7000 in my main rig and the D5000 is next to my bed. The D7000 sounds better overall to my ears than the D5000, but I can easily see somebody preferring the D5000. My comparisons are rather simplistic, but I'd say the D7000 is more refined in the bass with a larger soundstage and more treble. The D5K has more warmth, slightly looser bass and smoother treble. There's not a lot in it really.

Feb 29, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #65 of 90

Quote:
I've got both. I use the D7000 in my main rig and the D5000 is next to my bed. The D7000 sounds better overall to my ears than the D5000, but I can easily see somebody preferring the D5000. My comparisons are rather simplistic, but I'd say the D7000 is more refined in the bass with a larger soundstage and more treble. The D5K has more warmth, slightly looser bass and smoother treble. There's not a lot in it really.

I'm curious which you would advise other people to go with if they were going to choose just one.

I listen to a lot of classical (when I study), electronic, acoustic, indie and sometimes rock etc.

The money isn't the main thing, it's mostly that I want to know what exactly I'm getting for the extra money and if I'm going to enjoy the headphone more. Thanks in advance.

Feb 29, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #66 of 90
IMO the D7000s are not goo for classical at all so I would look at something else if that takes up a large amount of your listening time.

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #67 of 90
For electronic, rock, the Denons are perfect, and I agree not so much for classical because of the limited soundstage. SinceI have the Senns HD650 I can see why they are superior in such genres like acoustic/classical/jazz, music that benefits from a really nice soundstage (for me the darkness and veil of the HD650 makes soundtracks more interesting). But for everything else I go for my D5000, they are beautiful :D

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #69 of 90
Quote:
It's weird to hear that the D5k/7k are bad for classical because people in the threads for both headphones have said they're good for all genres.

Because people will hype up whatever they own, there is also the fact they may not have heard anything better. Personally I would say classical isn't their strong point, they are predominantly for electronica.

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #70 of 90

Quote:
Because people will hype up whatever they own, there is also the fact they may not have heard anything better. Personally I would say classical isn't their strong point, they are predominantly for electronica.

I noticed you have the Beyer 880 and the D7k... could you compare the two real quick? I have heard the Beyer but can't find anywhere near me to audition the Denons. I'd rather not buy a headset that expensive without having heard them but I think I've pretty much talked myself into picking up a pair.

Edit: Also, I currently am using the Sennheiser Hd380 with my laptop... would I get more of a sound upgrade by going to the D5k or by getting an amp? I currently use an external Soundblaster XFi sound card. Just wondering if the better headphone is the smart money or if the amp is more important. Thanks.

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #71 of 90
Quote:
I noticed you have the Beyer 880 and the D7k... could you compare the two real quick? I have heard the Beyer but can't find anywhere near me to audition the Denons. I'd rather not buy a headset that expensive without having heard them but I think I've pretty much talked myself into picking up a pair. Thanks for the help.

In short the 880s are a much better all-rounder as they're very close to neutral, the Denons have emphatic bass which injects it's self just about everywhere. I use the D7000s for electronica and poorly recorded music, they also sound great directly out of a soundcard and home theater which I consider very handy. The DT880s I use for everything, voices sound much more realistic, instruments are precise and have the right amount of body, soundstage is also on another level. However there is also a large cost factor; the Denons are about $600 new and sound great out of a soundcard or cheap hybrid amp - the Beyers need a good OTL tube amp with good tubes and a warm analog sounding source which works out at about double the Denons.

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #72 of 90
IMO the D7000s are not goo for classical at all so I would look at something else if that takes up a large amount of your listening time.

They aren't good for classical, they're great for classical. :wink: And with the markl mods they're even better.

OP, I think the D5000s are too boomy and bass heavy, whereas the D7000s are spot-on in tone, IMO.

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #73 of 90
It all comes down to personal preference. In classical you want to hear all the melodies from each instrument with a wide soundstage, but for me personally I enjoy classical already with my Denon D5k because of the dynamic sound and the low-end reproduction (including the closed-back design). With the Denon's you don't really fall into the music/or want to explore the landscape when music is playing. However, with headphones such as HD650, you can explore all the instruments layer by layer with an analytical overlook, sometimes this doesn't really allow me to enjoy the music itself, which is a problem ever since I entered the world of audiphilia. The Denon's solved this problem for me, be it D5k or D7k, I think they are great and will allow you to listen to an amazing level of sound quality.

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #74 of 90
For me the D7000s simply never had the clarity or resolution to do justice to classical especially in comparison to the T1s and even AKG 702s. The bass just spreads into everything and doesn't give you the airy/layered sound I need to enjoy classical.

Mar 1, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #75 of 90

Quote:
They aren't good for classical, they're great for classical.
wink.gif
And with the markl mods they're even better.
OP, I think the D5000s are too boomy and bass heavy, whereas the D7000s are spot-on in tone, IMO.

True for me as well... except for one thing. The MarkL mods ruined the D5k for me. I agree that they are too boomy, so I tried to MarkL them into submission... it made the bass less, but took away the richness and they became nasal and strident.
The D7k is perfect to my ears. They are rich and musical, they are acoustic and sonorous. They have the highs and detail as well as the impact of a live performance. They are truly lovely for all acoustic music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back