Denon D5000 - Modifications resulting in lower value?
May 19, 2013 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

White Lotus

Reviewer for Stereo.net.au
Hey guys,

I've got a set of Denon D5000. They have had the MarkL mod done, and I'm keen to possibly get some wood cups soon.

Considering as they aren't manufactured any more, I'm guessing that eventually they may go up in value a little. 

Would putting the wood cups on, in theory, make them not worth as much?

May 19, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
Considering as they aren't manufactured any more, I'm guessing that eventually they may go up in value a little. 

This is what pisses me off with discontinued gear (not directing at you jensy). When something gets discontinued, all of a sudden it gives an excuse for the seller to sell them at a higher up and sometimes an inflated price. This eventually drives up prices for that particular product on all other places. Over the past few years I've watched headphones and tubes go up in price because 1) It gets discontinued and sellers start marking all kinds of BS such as discontinued, NOS, rare hard to find ~unobtanium. 2) Increased attention with that product means a satisfactory level to leverage the supply and demand in that particular market. 

The Denon DxK range has been discontinued for about 1.5 years now, you buy a D5k for $400 you sell it for around that price or less depending on the condition, modifications done etc, not selling it at $600. This is almost called flipping sales and it is not cool.

Also sometimes users go arms length to get there headphones modded, be it cable mods or extremely cool wooden cup mods from MCA, headphile or Lawton audio, the prices for these are usually high because the mods are professionally made and milled for that particular headphone, mods done by users usually mean depreciated value in the headphones but also depends, because sometimes people buying are collectors and they want the original stock thing - amp's on the other hand is a different story.

May 19, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Don't stress - I won't be getting rid of mine any time soon. I love them dearly.

I am interested in getting some wood cups made, but if it lowers the re-sell value, it's probably not a good decision to make. 

Yeah nah it's all good 
beerchug.gif
 just getting it out to those that do start flipping on NOS/discontinued gear etc.

Professionally milled wooden cups from special wood usually would increase the value only because of the custom wooden cups. Hard to say if it will lower re-selling value depending on what wood you get for them, I mean you are paying for that extra modification. If you do sell it, most likely the value will depreciate a bit from the total you spent on the headphones + wooden cups, but it's good to included the original wooden cup/accessories as well when you do sell it so it is still representing the original stock item if you get what I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back