Denon D2000 vs. Audio Technica M50 vs. Shure SRH840 unamped and amped
Dec 8, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #32 of 49

[size=medium]

Quote:
So it looks like I stumbled on a nice cheap amp, NuForce Icon Mobile (80$), which I hear is a great match for the D2000, because it brings out the "recessed mids" as some people are complaining about the D2Ks. Ill be getting the Icon Mobile, D2000, and M50 this friday, and Ill give you all my first impressions and after burn in, unamped and amped. Also if anyone here has used the icon mobile, how are they?

The icon mobile and D2000 is great.

It's a good low cost solution to amp the headphones, not to mention i find the DAC to be sufficient for a portable and/or space saving fix.
[/size]

Quote:
I owned denon d2000 and didn't like them
narrow soundstage and i felt the music was coming from small headphones
great bass

small headphones ... first time I've ever heard that.

Did you have a good amp and dac to go with it?

I run mine with a Keces 151 and a LDI+.  Not the most expensive setup, but I'd say it's more than your average budget setup.  

Dec 9, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #33 of 49
What i meant by "small headphones" was that that i really felt the music was coming from them instead of surrounding me
(sorry if i don t use the right way to describe)
Not enough forward sounding  for my taste

Dec 9, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #34 of 49
Well I got my Denon D2000s last night (M50s will take a little longer). My first impressions without amp, were that they were good, but I felt that they were lacking on bass and mids. After using the amp, the mids became a bit better, and the bass became more controllled and not as apparent. I loved the soundstage though. So I let them burn in playing with the amp, and after coming back from school tried them on again. WOW!!! Everything just came to life! The mids, highs, bass all came to life for me from the amp. Soundstage is either the same or a little better not able to tell. My only gripe with these so far is that they leak a lot of sound, but they are comfortable and look great with amazing SQ, from an affordable and portable amp. M50s have alot of competition to beat these babies!

Dec 9, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #35 of 49
Loving the D2000s so much now, the sound has just been getting better and better. Sadly, I dont know how I could expect to carry these headphones, since they do not fold nor is there a bag. What would you guys recommend me to do to carry these headphones? Just put them in some plastic bag and put it in my bag or carry them, or what?

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #36 of 49
vk93: what amp are you using with the d2000? 

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #38 of 49
another question I have is about the Beyerdynamic Dt770s, how well would the icon mobile drive them? I understand there are various Ohm types with that headphone, so how would the Icon Mobile do against 32/80/250/600?

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #39 of 49
Thanks, I'm starting to lean toward the icon mobile now vs. the E7 for the d2000.

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #40 of 49
@soundeffect
From many of the posters on this site, the Icon mobile and Denon D2000s seem to be a perfect match, because it strenghtens the recessed mids of the D2000s. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #41 of 49
vk93: is the bass stronger with icon mobile vs unamp?  sorry for asking so much question, this is going to be either a keep or return kind of questions.

Right now I am listening to them through my laptop and it seem to be weaker with bass than with my iphone 4.  I'm not sure if my iphone 4 or my laptop has more juice.  With my iphone 4 although the bass is stronger, it lacks refinement whereas my laptop the bass is much weaker, but seems more refine.

I have a feeling that the d2000 is a power hunger headphone and the iphone 4 might have the juice for it, but feeding it bad juice because at a lower volume the clarity and detail seems fine, but at higher volume everything deminish a little but the bass is stronger.

I finding that right now my esw9a and M50 has more bass than the D2000...kind of dissappointing....everything else seems to be good though.

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #42 of 49
soundeffect: The Icon Mobile doesnt do much for bass, but the Denons dont need it because once they burn in, their bass comes in much stronger. The "refinement" I guess means better mids and highs, which is what the Icon Mobile is meant to provide. I am listening unamped vs amped on my iPhone 4, and there are only changes in the mids and it makes it sound more clear. If you want even more bass, than I would look towards the DT770s, which I am going to order and compare with the D2000s along with the M50s when I get them.

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #44 of 49
So I just got the Beyerdynamic DT770s, and they sound worse than the D2000s IMO. The soundstage is much smaller, affecting the clarity. However, with burn in that might change. I have the D2000s, burned in for atleast 25 hours by now. Ill burn in the DT770s and see what happens.

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #45 of 49

Quote:
So I just got the Beyerdynamic DT770s, and they sound worse than the D2000s IMO. The soundstage is much smaller, affecting the clarity. However, with burn in that might change. I have the D2000s, burned in for atleast 25 hours by now. Ill burn in the DT770s and see what happens.

For me the only Beyer Dynamic headphone that sounded almost as good as the D2000 (amped!) was the DT-800 600 ohm. As a primary headphone it'd be a tough decision since the D2000 doesn't have my preferred signature, but I still loved it.

So far I've tried the 32 ohm DT-990, 880, 770, 250 ohm DT-990 and DT-880 600. I only returned my DT-880 600 because it lost to my k601.

I've been through so many Beyer Headphones that I think it's safe to say I'm not a fan. I may give the 250 ohm DT-880 a try though. Hated the mids/vocals on the 32 ohm version, so I hope the vocals of the DT-880 250 are nearly as good as the 600 ohm version. Probably not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back