Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Nov 2, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #2,836 of 5,248
Wow.. Its nice looking collections that you have there.
May I know which cable do you choose for your D2000 ?

Thanks. Cable is the stock one, shortened by about four feet.

Nov 3, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #2,838 of 5,248
trying badly to get a D5 or D2 trade for my fully balanced HE 400... need something closed and I'd love to grab a modded Denon :3 

There's a few D2000's for sale.........might they want to trade you? You get a stocker and the modding is easy. Alpha pads are great on these Denons as well........

Nov 3, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #2,839 of 5,248
There's a few D2000's for sale.........might they want to trade you? You get a stocker and the modding is easy. Alpha pads are great on these Denons as well........

I'm hoping for some trades actually. Still waiting to hear back. I've got a little Dynamat left from my w1000x mods so 

Nov 3, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #2,840 of 5,248
Speaking of D2000 mods, I have a set of D5000 mahogany cups available for sale if anyone is interested. Look at the headphone for sale board.

Nov 4, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #2,841 of 5,248
I couldn't find a thread about it, but how are the new Denons?

I still listen to my D2000s nearly everyday.  After pairing it with Centrance DacMini withe 1 Ohm mod, I haven't looked back.

How do the new ones compare?  If I had the money, I'd get my D2000s modded with wooden cups and such.

Nov 4, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #2,842 of 5,248
Speaking of D2000 mods, I have a set of D5000 mahogany cups available for sale if anyone is interested. Look at the headphone for sale board.

I've got a buyer for me HE 400 SEt so I think I might be grapping a pair of Denons soon :D so let's talk MODS

Pads. where should I start for tighter bass and maybe a smidge less mids and more treble, I have J$ but they might be getting sold... 

Adtionally, how much improvement do we see on a D2k with Dampend D7k Cups over the stock cups? I saw the D2k according to graphs has a very nice almost linear bass extenision, Nice sub bass on that unit. WHere as the D5 and D7 have a bit of a hump... that said what benifits do D5 and or D7 cups bring to the D2k 

Nov 4, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #2,843 of 5,248
  I've got a buyer for me HE 400 SEt so I think I might be grapping a pair of Denons soon :D so let's talk MODS

Pads. where should I start for tighter bass and maybe a smidge less mids and more treble, I have J$ but they might be getting sold... 

Adtionally, how much improvement do we see on a D2k with Dampend D7k Cups over the stock cups? I saw the D2k according to graphs has a very nice almost linear bass extenision, Nice sub bass on that unit. WHere as the D5 and D7 have a bit of a hump... that said what benifits do D5 and or D7 cups bring to the D2k 

Pads are a bit finnicky, some users have reported a huge spike in treble with custom pads and some haven't.

Full dampening will do the most of any mod, and helps with tightening up the bass.

Nov 4, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #2,844 of 5,248

Pads are a bit finnicky, some users have reported a huge spike in treble with custom pads and some haven't.

Full dampening will do the most of any mod, and helps with tightening up the bass.

Bleh, what do the Lawton audio pads do... and how much stock treble are we talking about on a D2k [I'm looking at a D2k with a Modded and Dampend D7k Back] I might try the Lawton Audio pads just to have the full [ish] Markl Denon Custom Job 

Nov 4, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #2,845 of 5,248
  Bleh, what do the Lawton audio pads do... and how much stock treble are we talking about on a D2k [I'm looking at a D2k with a Modded and Dampend D7k Back] I might try the Lawton Audio pads just to have the full [ish] Markl Denon Custom Job 

Does the modded D2k have the lawton tuning, or just dampened cups?

The treble issue caused the headphones to be unlistenable (painful), but very few people have reported that issue.

Nov 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #2,846 of 5,248

Does the modded D2k have the lawton tuning, or just dampened cups?

The treble issue caused the headphones to be unlistenable (painful), but very few people have reported that issue.

You know I think it's just the Cups them selvs... At some point I plan to get it recabled. Additionally I can most likely do the Driver modding my self [if I decide that I want it] I would think the Dampening on the Cup and the fact that it's a wooden cup would make a differance... otherwise again if need b I can mod er my self. 

Nov 4, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #2,847 of 5,248
  You know I think it's just the Cups them selvs... At some point I plan to get it recabled. Additionally I can most likely do the Driver modding my self [if I decide that I want it] I would think the Dampening on the Cup and the fact that it's a wooden cup would make a differance... otherwise again if need b I can mod er my self. 

Oh yeah, dampened wood cups will definitely make a difference, and if you want more, the full mod isn't super difficult (though it is somewhat time consuming).

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #2,848 of 5,248
I just replaced my J$ pads (original version) with a set of Mr. Speaker Alpha pads.  They seem to offer a bit more isolation, have a similar angle, and are comfortable and durable.  They put the driver a bit further away from my ear, but I don't believe there is any major difference in sound characteristics between the 2 pads.  From a price perspective, this would be my first recommendation for replacement pads, unless you can work out a deal for the Lawton angled pads with any other work you might have done.

Nov 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #2,849 of 5,248
  I just replaced my J$ pads (original version) with a set of Mr. Speaker Alpha pads.  They seem to offer a bit more isolation, have a similar angle, and are comfortable and durable.  They put the driver a bit further away from my ear, but I don't believe there is any major difference in sound characteristics between the 2 pads.  From a price perspective, this would be my first recommendation for replacement pads, unless you can work out a deal for the Lawton angled pads with any other work you might have done.

How did the J$money sound with the Denons? I just sold mine off... and honestly I'd rather have Lawton or Alpha's imo 

Alpha's might come before any of the work does 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back