Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
May 28, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #796 of 5,248
just got my d2000s in today and they sound awesome right out of the box! they are way more comfortable than my hfi-780s, but they dont isolate as well as the 780s. im running them through a maverick d1. overall I think we have a keeper.

May 29, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #797 of 5,248
Hey - my very first post! Been lurking here a long time.

Based on what I've been reading in this forum, I took the plunge and bought some D5000s, which came in yesterday.  Must say I'm very impressed with them right out of the box.  I'm sure they'll sound even better with burn-in.

Very much enjoying Joe Jackson's Night And Day right now! Hearing sounds I've never heard before.

Looking forward to re-discovering my music collection!

May 29, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #798 of 5,248

Quote:
I've been thinking about getting the Audio GD Sparrow for my D2000s as I mentioned above. However I haven't seen anyone with the sparrow or anything audio gd for that matter. Does it not match well with the D2000s or should I be ok buying one?

I've got stock D2000's and use an Audio-gd Fun, with the [size=x-small]AD1852[/size] DAC and Earth HDAM. I ordered the FUN just as the sparrow was announced, and also just as the lower cost Fun was announced.  I've found the AD1852 a little too bright for my taste, and settled on running the fun with soft3 sound settings to tame it (soft 1 and 2 were not enough).  Lots of run in on this amp, about 400 hours or so now, still too bright for me if the jumpers are pulled.  The Wolfson DAC is perfect for my ears for the high frequencies, no need to run the sound settings, but its sort of muddy sounding, the ad1852 spoils your ear with clarity.  A fun is not a sparrow I suppose, but they are certainly closely related.  All in all, a good combo, but I'd caution you if you consider the D2000 overly bright or sibilant to start with.

RonO

May 29, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #799 of 5,248
Head Direct EF1+D2K +J$=
atsmile.gif

May 29, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #800 of 5,248

Quote:
I've got stock D2000's and use an Audio-gd Fun, with the [size=x-small]AD1852[/size] DAC and Earth HDAM. I ordered the FUN just as the sparrow was announced, and also just as the lower cost Fun was announced.  I've found the AD1852 a little too bright for my taste, and settled on running the fun with soft3 sound settings to tame it (soft 1 and 2 were not enough).  Lots of run in on this amp, about 400 hours or so now, still too bright for me if the jumpers are pulled.  The Wolfson DAC is perfect for my ears for the high frequencies, no need to run the sound settings, but its sort of muddy sounding, the ad1852 spoils your ear with clarity.  A fun is not a sparrow I suppose, but they are certainly closely related.  All in all, a good combo, but I'd caution you if you consider the D2000 overly bright or sibilant to start with.

RonO

Ok once I get my D2000s in I'll listen to them a while and see what I think. So which would you recommend between the Wolfson and AD1852 for the d2000? Sounds like they both have their pros and cons. 

May 29, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #801 of 5,248

Quote:

Ok once I get my D2000s in I'll listen to them a while and see what I think. So which would you recommend between the Wolfson and AD1852 for the d2000? Sounds like they both have their pros and cons. 

You are right, pros and cons:

Right now I primarily use the AD1852, that with the sound settings softened is my first choice.  With the Wolfson, the highs are more rolled off, and I don't feel a need to use the "soft" settings, but the whole of the music is not as clear/transparent to my ear.  I almost ordered it with the Wolfson as the only D/A chip, but in the end got both.  Had I only gotten the Wolfson, I'd be happy with it, but with both, you have a choice in different flavors/coloring of the sound.  Neither bad, just different.  The Wolfson added $20 to the cost of the fun, so I don't regret spending it.

Ron

May 31, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #803 of 5,248
Why don't you put the stock pads back on? I thought someone here said it was easy to switch/reswitch...?

Quote:
I wish I had sent my J$ pads back.  I have no issues with the build quality, and after a very long burn in the J$ pads finally became comfortable.  The problem for me is that the stock pads sound better.

May 31, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #804 of 5,248
How does the D2K behaves with metal/hard rock?

Grados are always a first recommendation at this genres, but since i listen to other genres too, i think the D2K will be a better all arounder. But i am really confuse of which one to get.

May 31, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #805 of 5,248
I like the D2000 with metal and hard rock, but only if I EQ.  Without EQ the metal and hard rock can be hit or miss as far as being a satisfactory sound and in some cases just not good at all.  The overall Denon sound with metal and hard rock is kind of laid back in a sennheiser sort of way.  The sound envelops you rather than putting you right up front with the sound attacking you the way something like a Grado does.  I prefer the Denon to the Grado for metal and hard rock.

If you are willing and able to EQ using a parametric equalizer and a media player similar to Foobar (or some other player that will allow you to use a parametric EQ plug-in) then the D2000 can be considered.  If you are not able to EQ or are going to use a portable as source that doesn't have a parametric EQ then I cannot recommend the D2000 for metal or hard rock.

The EQ curve I use looks like this, to give you and idea of what I find is needed to get the D2000 to rock:

May 31, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #806 of 5,248

Quote:
Why don't you put the stock pads back on? I thought someone here said it was easy to switch/reswitch...?

I did put the stock pads back on -- and no, for me at least, the pads are very difficult to switch.  I gave the J$ pads almost three months, hoping I would like them.

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #807 of 5,248
Switching the pads is the same concept as opening a bottle of prescription pills. Just push the top in (the pads), twist about 1/2 inches (the pad will only turn the way it's supposed to), and off comes the pad.  

I'm not sure why some people have a problem with taking it off but I guess doctors do consider prescription pill bottles as child safe 
bigsmile_face.gif

Also Ham that's a great EQ for the Denon's and I actually have mine eq'd pretty much the same exact way.  Everyone knows that Denon's have a recessed middle range but that EQ setting pretty much change that.  I used to be anti-EQ until I realized how much it helps the Denons.

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #808 of 5,248

Quote:
Switching the pads is the same concept as opening a bottle of prescription pills. Just push the top in (the pads), twist about 1/2 inches (the pad will only turn the way it's supposed to), and off comes the pad.  

I'm not sure why some people have a problem with taking it off but I guess doctors do consider prescription pill bottles as child safe 
bigsmile_face.gif

Also Ham that's a great EQ for the Denon's and I actually have mine eq'd pretty much the same exact way.  Everyone knows that Denon's have a recessed middle range but that EQ setting pretty much change that.  I used to be anti-EQ until I realized how much it helps the Denons.

I have difficulty with prescription pill bottles too.  I assure you lack of concept is not the problem.  And for that matter one of the salespeople at Headroom had a hard time with the pads also.

Jun 1, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #809 of 5,248
I used to EQ my Denon's but I think I might have the right combination of tubes and DAC to make it unnecessary 

that being said, I don't play much in the hard rock dept and I'll give Ham's EQ'ing a shot again when I get a chance.

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #810 of 5,248
Hi fairly long time D&M products user (own a Marantz Receiver) but new D5000 owner. So far I'm loving the 5000s and have taken them everywhere with me (I have used them at work, and use them when I'm working on my notebook at a Starbucks). However I really can't wait to do the the Markl mod this week just to take my Denons to a new level. Hopefully this will be the only reference level can I will need for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back