Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jun 11, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #4,862 of 5,248
I have some Lohb cups that I might look into tuning. What's the best way of doing this? Dynamat on the inside of the cups?

I have two sets of deep Lohb cups, one on my LA2000 and one on my LA7000. For me, the combo of the Lawton tuning and angle pads is simply stellar. For the cups, this consists of a sticky disc and a foam pad that then sticks to the disc. The deep cups with this damping plus the extra distance to the ear from the angle pads is (for me) magical. Below is a pic of how the damping looks in the stock D7k cups, which I have available for a photo.

Jun 13, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #4,863 of 5,248
I have two sets of deep Lohb cups, one on my LA2000 and one on my LA7000. For me, the combo of the Lawton tuning and angle pads is simply stellar. For the cups, this consists of a sticky disc and a foam pad that then sticks to the disc. The deep cups with this damping plus the extra distance to the ear from the angle pads is (for me) magical. Below is a pic of how the damping looks in the stock D7k cups, which I have available for a photo.

Thanks mate, much appreciated. I'll give this a shot.

Jun 21, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #4,864 of 5,248
Hope this is not out of line, but when I had my wood cupped d2000's I had some Mr.speakers alpha pads on them and really enjoyed them. I have since sold my d2000 but forgot about the Alpha Pads that I still had. I have nothing that they really fit right now so they are up for sale in the accessories section of the want ads. The alpha pads increased the comfort, and the seal was great with them.... And cooler on the ears. PM if interested.

James

Jun 21, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #4,865 of 5,248
Hope this is not out of line, but when I had my wood cupped d2000's I had some Mr.speakers alpha pads on them and really enjoyed them. I have since sold my d2000 but forgot about the Alpha Pads that I still had. I have nothing that they really fit right now so they are up for sale in the accessories section of the want ads. The alpha pads increased the comfort, and the seal was great with them.... And cooler on the ears. PM if interested.

James

I like the Alpha Pads on my D5000k, though I prefered the Lawton Pads after a while as they were a tad drier overall, still i've got Mr SPeakers pads on my TH X00 and I realy like them 

my only issue though is FIT xD the Lawton pads have more room, when I have more hair 

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #4,866 of 5,248
  I like the Alpha Pads on my D5000k, though I prefered the Lawton Pads after a while as they were a tad drier overall, still i've got Mr SPeakers pads on my TH X00 and I realy like them 

my only issue though is FIT xD the Lawton pads have more room, when I have more hair 

I thought all true headphone audiophiles shaved their heads? 
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #4,867 of 5,248

I thought all true headphone audiophiles shaved their heads? 
biggrin.gif

Bro I just got the Buzz cut yesterday xD and honestly I'll be sticking with it from now on LOL my head and ears are too big for all this extra hair

Jun 25, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #4,868 of 5,248
I bought them a year ago, but finally took the plunge and installed the Lawton earpads on my D5000s.
The old, original pads that came with my D5000s looked so ugly, flaked and just plain disgusting that I had to remove them.
The install instructions of the new pads made it look pretty straightforward, but as stated on the Lawton Audio site:

NOTE: Pads normally come off very easily using the pinch and twist method. There is a small percentage of these plastic rings that can be a little more stubborn than others. For these cases, use caution and make sure you do NOT overly stress the teeth by pulling up on them too hard.

TIP: For these unusual cases, simply peel the pad itself right off the headphone, separating it rom the plastic ring, leaving the ring attached to the frame for now. This will not harm your pad, it will slide right off the ring. Then using a screwdriver with a flat head, push firmly against one of the teeth in the counter-clockwise direction toward the larger end of the slot; the ring should now free itself.

And yes, of course mine were 'a little more' stuborn and I found myself captured in 45 minutes of heavy cursing, sweating and praying for not screwing things up. Images of me smashing the D5000s in a violent rage popped up. Luckily I kept this tiny bit of cool that was left in me and managed to get the rings off and the Lawton pads on.

What about the comfort? The old pads were more comfortable, less padded, but because of it with less clamping.
What about the sound? The Lawton pads make the D5000s sound more speaker-like, the bass is toned down a bit and the imaging seems better. Which is all great...but (for now the least) I just miss the old sound. With the Lawton pads it misses some lushness, some intimacy and 'emotion' for lack of a better word. 
I wonder if I can get the orignal pads somewhere?

Jul 24, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #4,869 of 5,248
Hey guys, I used to lurk HF a lot, but I haven't been on here in a long time.

To put it simply, I have a D2000 that I got in I think 2010 or so, new in box at the time. They've gone through some of high school, and almost all of college now. However, this has taken a serious toll on their condition. Short list of problems is:

Flaky ear pads
Worn cord
Rubber reinforcement for cable entering cups has come loose
I think the headband is flaking
Scratches on cups and metal parts

They have no mods, they're just worn from daily use, travel, etc, over the years. I'd love to work on restoring them.  I know the Alpha ear pads are mentioned, and the price on them is not bad, but which are the correct pads? I see Alpha makes a few different sets, I'd hate to order the wrong one. I'd like to recable with a 6ft length. I was thinking of the MarkL mod on the stock cups, and then potentially looking later on at getting some wood ones. I'm also thinking about possibly anodizing the metal parts, has anybody done that, or found a way to cover up the scratches?

Thanks!

Jul 24, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #4,871 of 5,248
Hey guys, I used to lurk HF a lot, but I haven't been on here in a long time.

To put it simply, I have a D2000 that I got in I think 2010 or so, new in box at the time. They've gone through some of high school, and almost all of college now. However, this has taken a serious toll on their condition. Short list of problems is:

Flaky ear pads
Worn cord
Rubber reinforcement for cable entering cups has come loose
I think the headband is flaking
Scratches on cups and metal parts

They have no mods, they're just worn from daily use, travel, etc, over the years. I'd love to work on restoring them.  I know the Alpha ear pads are mentioned, and the price on them is not bad, but which are the correct pads? I see Alpha makes a few different sets, I'd hate to order the wrong one. I'd like to recable with a 6ft length. I was thinking of the MarkL mod on the stock cups, and then potentially looking later on at getting some wood ones. I'm also thinking about possibly anodizing the metal parts, has anybody done that, or found a way to cover up the scratches?

Thanks!

Anodizing won't cover any surface imperfections, you will have to strip them down, sand, and repaint. The Krylon Fusion paint works great with acrylic clear coat to protect it.

You can also do the EZMods for the TH-900/TH-600...mainly use the paper tape to help dampen the cups and driver surfaces.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802704/th-900-fostex-ez-simple-mods-and-other-fostex-dynamic-variants-x00-denon-more-bass-mid-soundstage-smooth-trebles

I don't know if you could find them now, but the pads I switched to a while back were the J-money Lambskin pads, which are just a little bit thicker than stock. Whatever pads you get, lambskin is probably your best material choice.

Jul 25, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #4,873 of 5,248
That looks awesome, how'd you get the female connectors? I only see male connectors on the MrSpeakers site. 

Also looking for ideas on a new headband, ideally a real leather one to prevent flaking in the future.

Quote:
  These are the Alpha pads I've been using.

https://mrspeakers.com/shop/3-accessories/alpha-pads-genuine-lamb-leather/

Very soft and durable.  I'd recommend them.

Thanks! I wasn't sure which would fit since some of them to me look a bit rectangular. 
Anodizing won't cover any surface imperfections, you will have to strip them down, sand, and repaint. The Krylon Fusion paint works great with acrylic clear coat to protect it.

You can also do the EZMods for the TH-900/TH-600...mainly use the paper tape to help dampen the cups and driver surfaces.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802704/th-900-fostex-ez-simple-mods-and-other-fostex-dynamic-variants-x00-denon-more-bass-mid-soundstage-smooth-trebles

I don't know if you could find them now, but the pads I switched to a while back were the J-money Lambskin pads, which are just a little bit thicker than stock. Whatever pads you get, lambskin is probably your best material choice.

My thought was to look into stip down, sand, and then anodize. I have no idea what that would cost, and it may be prohibitively expensive for a purely aesthetic mod. Do you think Fusion paint with a clear coat would be durable enough? Those EZ mods look interesting, I didn't realize that was something that was commonly done. I think I'm going to go with the MrSpeakers ear pads, lambskin leather and cost effective.

Oh yeah, one more thing, do you all have any suggestions for a backpack friendly carrying case that would fit the D2000s?

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #4,874 of 5,248
This case fits the AH-D2000 very well (and most other full sized headphones - fits my Philips SHP9500 and Fostex T40RP Mark III as well.)

https://www.amazon.com/Slappa-Full-Sized-HardBody-Headphone-Protection/dp/B009NE7B06/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469506590&sr=8-1&keywords=slappa+headphone+case

Krylon Fusion with clear coat will be durable enough, without clear coat, no. I've used it to paint parts for my car and those parts are out in the elements and get impacted by bugs and junk all the time, clean up nicely when washing the car.

The mirrors (nylon) and mirror base plates (aluminum), TRD fender fins (ABS plastic) in front of the mirrors, and front lip (urethane composite) are all Krylon with clear coat, the fender fins and mirrors/baee plates have been on for several years:
20160429_172735-3072x2304.jpg

I've used it on the cups and metal pieces of my D2000 which I'm in the process of trying to complete modding.

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #4,875 of 5,248
That looks awesome, how'd you get the female connectors? I only see male connectors on the MrSpeakers site.

Thanks! It wasn't easy. I contacted Evalucon directly and they thought I was a manufacturer. I told them I could not find them, so they sent me 2 samples (plus shipping) of both the SN-8-4(P) cable connector and two SN-8-4(R) receiving connector. The rep also told me you can get the connectors from Atwater Electronics in California.

It did require me to cut and modify the baffle and the cups somewhat, but ever so slightly. I put up a DIY tutorial, but some dude said it was "horrible". I did muck up one of my cage because I tried a way that didn't work well, but I didn't take pictures of the better looking one because I wanted to demonstrate to not make the same mistake I did, bu lo and behold some dude called me out. I'll post it again when I can get a couple of better pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back