Denon D2000 Amping help please
Jan 8, 2012 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

e2pathos

Head-Fier
Hey everybody, so my thread earlier helped me to decide that my next set of cans is going to the be Denon D2000s. From what I hear the clean and deep sub bass that doesn't mud up the mids and highs sounds ideal for my liking.

I have also heard that they sound significantly better amped up. Since my only cans right now are M50s and IEMs are Klipsch S4, I have no prior experience to amping headphones, I am a complete noob in this category.

Could anybody lead me to the right amp set up with a budget of $200 dollars?

So far I have found that the E7/E9 combo works very well and I have also heard that the X-CANv8 works nicely as well.
Both of these options are the same price.

So could somebody help me choose between these two options? I am also open to any new options in the price range.

I listen to mostly electronic music heavy in the bass section, but I listen to tons of other styles and genres so I need to keep them balanced.

Thanks!

Jan 8, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 37
Out of personal experience, I recommend the LD1+.  I have one with upgraded OP amps and tubes, but this little thing provides very nice juice for D2000's.  The hybrid design of the amp works very well, giving the solid state umph with the tube warmth.  The D2Ks tend to have slightly bright treble (depending on the music), and the tubes help mellow that out.

I got mine with the upgrades for a little over $100 here on headfi, so search around and I'm sure you can get set with one around the same.

Jan 8, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 37
Ok so excuse my noobness but with that device alone I don't need 2 different things like for example the E7/E9 combo?

I would just run my ipod/computer through this thing then this thing into my cans?

Jan 8, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 37
Running an amp straight from an iPod or from the integrated sound card on a computer is not recommended. You should also invest in an external DAC like a Nuforce uDAC. In an E7/E9 combo, the E7 is used as a DAC and the E9 is the amp.

Jan 8, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 37
@Trist, thanks for the help, as far as my computer situation goes I have an aftermarket soundcard, the SB Audigy 2 ZS so not sure if that would count as a DAC replacement since it isn't just the basic computer soundcard.

So now I understand the whole DAC/amp situation, which do I want? The E7/E9 combo seems pretty well liked around here and the price for the two of them is in my budget.

Can I get some more people with these cans who can suggest an amp/dac combo that works well and is under 200 dollars?

Jan 8, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 37
I'm also looking for a new (transportable) DAC/Amp combo for my Denon D5000 because I feel my Fiio E7 alone isn't good enough. I'm currently using an Audinst HUD-MX1 for my stationary rig and it seems to be a pretty good solution at $180. Much better than the E7 but I don't have anything else to compare it to.

Jan 8, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #9 of 37
I thought the E10 is below the E7 
eek.gif

Jan 8, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #11 of 37
Good luck with that. 
wink_face.gif

My Bottlehead Crack works well with these but it's a little more than your $200 limit, but only by $19.   

Quote:
So does the E10 basically combine the E7/E9 combo?

If so I can see how that'd be nice to save some money, but in the end and long run would it be better to buy the 7/9 combo?

After I purchase the D2000s I am not planning on buying any new headphones for quite a while, at least 1-2 years.

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #12 of 37
The Bottlehead Crack is an OTL tube amp designed for high impedance headphones... The Denons are 25 ohm.

Jan 9, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #13 of 37
The FiiO E7/E9 works great with the Denon D2K's, been there, done that.

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #14 of 37
I thought the E10 is below the E7 
eek.gif

No. The E10 is better, but not as versatile. The E10 is forever tethered by USB, the E7 works in many situations, without USB.

If you want the true upgrade to the E7, the Alpen (aka E17) is about to be released very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back