Denon c710 had no mids ?
Oct 21, 2009 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

supracrazy_tommy

Head-Fier
I know that the Denon c710 take a while to burn in like everyone says, but I've had them for almost a month already, but I still feel those harsh highs and, I feel like it has no mids. Sometimes I turn the volume up because I can't hear it as clear and that is when the highs hit and it causes such a harsh sound to my ears. I listen to mostly R&B, hip hop and some pop. Also any suggestions for tips for these IEMs ?

Oct 21, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 29
What headphones were you using before you purchased the c710's? Perhaps your just so used to their sound sig that your having a hard time adjusting to the denon sig.

I have the 710's and can see how some would think that they are lacking mids, but not to the point of turning the volume up just to be able to hear. Maybe you are having tip/fit issues?

Hopefully others can be more helpful than me
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 29
i would love a denon c710 vs audio techniccacks70 comparison, but i havent been able to find them..
so u say the denon c710 has harsh highs and no mids after a month,,, my ears cant tolerat e the highs, hopefully the cks70 isnt like that
i found one for 72 bucks

ghost so u disagree and think that it does have mids,, ergh ?

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #4 of 29
It has mids, and the treble isn't harsh, there just is more than many other IEMs. However, after 250 hours the treble really settles down and mellows out from where it started. But the C710 does have aggressive bass and treble with a wide soundstage, and the wider the stage, the further back the mids usually seem to me, and the aggressive bass and treble can make the mids sound slightly lacking, at least early on.

Nov 3, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 29
Turn down the volume...

As much as I moaned about the C710s, whilst I have been on my head-fi hiatus I have been listening to them exclusively, and - so long as you don't allow the treble to bite, the mids come through really well...

The C710s are currently my personal FOTM, better than the IE8 as an all-rounder (at lower volumes) and with a richer midrange than the FX500s...

So, to answer the topic title of the OP... No, not at all!

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Turn down the volume...

As much as I moaned about the C710s, whilst I have been on my head-fi hiatus I have been listening to them exclusively, and - so long as you don't allow the treble to bite, the mids come through really well...

The C710s are currently my personal FOTM, better than the IE8 as an all-rounder (at lower volumes) and with a richer midrange than the FX500s...

Wow I was just about to say that. I much prefer listening to the C710 at very low listening volumes.

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #7 of 29
Hmm. I find the highs on the FX500 too much for me to bear. How do the C710's compare? They appear to be right up there with the FX500 based on what I've read in the threads.

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm. I find the highs on the FX500 too much for me to bear. How do the C710's compare? They appear to be right up there with the FX500 based on what I've read in the threads.

I might be one of the very few who thinks the FX500 is smoother in the treble regions than the C710. I kind of feel that if the FX500 highs were too much for you then so might be the C710. The C710 is quite aggressive but Duncan is right. Turn down the volume and it becomes quite innocuous.

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might be one of the very few who thinks the FX500 is smoother in the treble regions than the C710. I kind of feel that if the FX500 highs were too much for you then so might be the C710. The C710 is quite aggressive but Duncan is right. Turn down the volume and it becomes quite innocuous.

I don't generally listen that loud with the Denons and X since the X sounds good at lower volumes anyway. But I think the more forward midrange of the Denons helps to balance out the treble, whereas the FX midrange is much more recessed in comparison which makes the treble seem much more prominent.

I have a high tolerance to treble anyway. The q-JAYS were the only phones where I found the treble unbearable, really bright and piercing. Maybe I didn't get a good fit, but I couldn't wait to rip them out of my ears!

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #10 of 29
One of the local retailers has begun stocking Denon IEMs, and my first thought was 'why dont I see Denon mentioned in the portable headphone forum on Head-Fi ?'. 250 hours burn-in for a pair of IEMs ??

Nov 3, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the local retailers has begun stocking Denon IEMs, and my first thought was 'why dont I see Denon mentioned in the portable headphone forum on Head-Fi ?'.
250 hours burn-in for a pair of IEMs ??

That's nothing, try the recommended 750/1000 hours quoted for the IE8 in the IE8 thread!!!!!!!!! Luckily, any phones I've liked have normally sounded just fine out of the box, and then great after 10/20 hours.

Nov 3, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #13 of 29
I love watching movies using my c710. The bass is phenomenal for the purpose and the dialogues comes though without sounding nasal nor 'boxy'. I wouldn't call it mids shy.

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #14 of 29
I don't think the C710's are mid shy either... I also found their mids a nice surprise and an improvement over the FX500's. They're such powerful and energetic phones though that as mentioned I can see how things can get a little grating at high volumes, because they can be fun to turn up. You may also want to try different tips. Any of them that fit the wide nozzle earphones will work. I find that genuine Sony EX silicone tips work great (not imitation ones on Ebay). They really bring out the detail, and instrument separation.

iponderous-
Re- their treble, I find they are slightly less harsh than the FX500's. I think they can still tend to be that way, just not as bad. But again, if listen with the volume turned down somewhat, they are perfectly acceptable. With their hefty bottom end they're still very satisfying at lower volumes.

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Turn down the volume...

While I don't necessarily think the C710 is a better all-rounder than the IE8, I do prefer the sound signature of the C710. However, I sold my C710 because the Mingo WM2 has better mids (clearer, more detailed, and a little more forward) and treble with as wide of a space, if not wider. And the bass is very comparable, but the WM2 has more reverb and the C710 is quicker.

But the harshness of the treble completely went away after burn in.

If you get a chance to try the WM2, go for it, I think they are excellent sounding, although they lack a little in build quality. And they need a good amount of burn in for the bass to settle down, the treble to smooth out, and the stage to really open up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back