Denon AH-MM400
Sep 4, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #736 of 1,435
  ... No discernible difference in the delightful sound. ...

I need a better performing cable. And since these super cheap and simple Chinese cables are just as good as the stock, that says a lot about the stock cable.

For those interested, the cabled for the MM400 works for the Oppo PM-3. Left and right, is well, left and right. And not the other way around.

If the plug I get next week fits (and it most probably will), then this cable would work: 

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/norne-audio-oppo-pm-3-occ-litz-spc-flexible-comfort-headphone-cable-trs-trrs-3-5-mm

It is $125

Just one terminator costs more than that e-bay cable.

Any 3-pin cable for the Oppo pm-3, will most likely work. The collar looks long enough.

There are also some options on e-bay.

Sep 4, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #737 of 1,435
I think he was refering to the cable itself. i have a cable from the same seller and there well made but there is a difference in sound when compared to cables with different wire like silver for example

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #738 of 1,435
I guess we all have different needs and preferences.

I currently got the Heimdal2 on loan for the HD800, and that sure is an eye opener. It is a AWG32 multi strand copper wire, silver coated. Knowing what the Heimdal2 can do, I am seriously looking at the Nordost Blue Heaven. The internal cabling of the MM400 might be a problem as well, not to mention the tiny cable channels if replacing the internals.

http://www.nordost.com/leif/blue-heaven/blue-heaven-iKable.php

If the HD800 is anything to go by, the MM400 can be improved a lot. That is just what I am aiming for.

The "there is no difference to cable discussion" should be left elsewhere. But sure, if you are pleased with what you got, I get that. I really like these to, as they are.

Sep 6, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #739 of 1,435
  I need a better performing cable. And since these super cheap and simple Chinese cables are just as good as the stock, that says a lot about the stock cable.

Same seller. Silver...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Silver-Plated-Cable-For-philips-Fidelio-X1-UE6000-UE9000-Sony-MDR-1R-AUX-/201161650856?var=&hash=item2ed62b32a8

That'll fit.

Anyway, whatever cable you get, just make sure the plug's widest diameter is under 5.6mm or it won't fit in the MM400.

Sep 6, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #740 of 1,435

Same seller. Silver...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Silver-Plated-Cable-For-philips-Fidelio-X1-UE6000-UE9000-Sony-MDR-1R-AUX-/201161650856?var=&hash=item2ed62b32a8

That'll fit.

Anyway, whatever cable you get, just make sure the plug's widest diameter is under 5.6mm or it won't fit in the MM400.

Thanks for sharing. Missed that one.

It seems a bit like a box of chocolate, but this one has a bit more potential.

If anyone get this one, please share with us, what you got.

Sep 12, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #742 of 1,435

Thanks for sharing. Missed that one.

It seems a bit like a box of chocolate, but this one has a bit more potential.

If anyone get this one, please share with us, what you got.

I've just received one of these. 

I wasn't too keen on the other cable offered by the same ebay seller. Whilst not bad per se I felt it was just a fraction lacking in comparison with the V-Moda cable I've primarily been using (V-Moda cable needs some trimming to work with the MM400).

Not had time to really do any comparisons so far but my initial thoughts on this one are much more positive. Time will tell but on an orchestral piece that I feel the MM400 has previously come slightly unstuck (a tad boxy and muddy sounding) I'm perceiving an improvement, but take that with a pinch of salt. I do plan on re-visiting this track and a few others with all 4 cables I have to hand (stock, v-moda & both ebay) at some point though......after which I'll stick with the one I like best.

It's an attractive looking cable, quite thin and light (feels robust enough though) and fairly flexible.

Certainly for the money I have no real complaints. My only slight reservation would be the amount of strain relief on the the jack that plugs into an amp / DAP etc. Whilst I doubt it'd be an issue in a desktop set up I do wonder if it'd be a weak point if it was subject to a bit more 'abuse' when used on the go.

Sep 14, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #743 of 1,435
Originally Posted by jellofund /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do plan on re-visiting this track and a few others with all 4 cables I have to hand (stock, v-moda & both ebay) at some point though......after which I'll stick with the one I like best.

Do let us know...

Sep 15, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #744 of 1,435
I have had the MM400's for about 10 days now and have a few thoughts.  I haven't read this whole thread, so I apologize if I am repeating something.  I ordered several pairs of headphones looking for something to complement my P7.  First listen they were very light on bass and the overall tone just wasn't pleasing to me.  I wrote them off early.  Someone in another thread told me these take quite a bit of burn in, so I gave them more time.  So a few days later I tried them back on.  I liked them more this time and really liked the construction and the fit/comfort.  After reading the burn in comment, I left them playing radio for about 8 hours overnight one night.  I have been using them almost exclusively at work since then and I am really starting to appreciate them.

Of the others I bought, the QC25 and GC20 and Zik 1.0 didn't get much time out of the box.  I didn't care for them.  The M2 wired were pretty good, but over time became too boomy and a bit sibilant.  So now I am left with my P7, some Sony 1ABT and the MM400.  I have a pair of Symphony 1's coming tomorrow to compare more with the Sony.  I would like a couple pair of wired and a pair of BT.

So back to the MM400, I find the respond very well to amping.  I am using them through a NuForce Icon iDo and they really came alive at that point.  Of all of the cans I have tried, I feel that the MM400's are very detailed and neutral while remaining very musical.  The weak bass at the outset has come alive a bit.  I don't typically like running EQ's on my iPhone (pretty much my only source I ever use)  I have found that I like the way all of my headphones sound now better using the "Electronic" preset.  These Denon's have nice impact and clean bass that goes very low.  I think it is cleaner than the P7 bass and the M2 was very loose, but had a bit more impact and went deeper. 

Those are my thoughts.  I'm pretty sure the MM400 is going to be staying around with my P7's, and perhaps putting my P7's on the market at some point.

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #747 of 1,435
  quite a bit of burn in, so I gave them more time.  So a few days later I tried them back on.  I liked them more this time and really liked the construction and the fit/comfort.  After reading the burn in comment, I left them playing radio for about 8 hours overnight one night.  I have been using them almost exclusively at work since then and I am really starting to appreciate them.

I am a little confused by your experience with the MM400. I found them VERY bassy (I'm a bass player and drummer as well as engineer producer - 30 years) and I found them bass heavy right out the box. I DID love the sound though - it's anything but flat - very hifi - (mids recessed) but they are sort of like a loveable big floppy dog.

The bass is not what is fed into them - it is pushed. The mids are pulled back a little bit. The highs are just delightful not analytical but detailed and sitting back so not to get on you nerves.

The MM400 is one word - SMOOTH.

I like to use the MM400 for any relaxed music. They are so lazy in their delivery I find it utterly charming. They are like thick honey compared to ultra-runny (yes, viscosity fluids in sounds) sugar water of many other overly-detailed (thus annoying) headphones.

There must be something wrong with yours.

Please note this... the headphone in socket is not the best made and as you plug it in (with them on your ears) you can have all kinds of stereo experiences. I wondered why they suddenly sounded like crap the other day... It was still stereo, but not right at all... Just 1mmm more push in of the plug - BLAM! there's the MM400. So make sure - it does click a little bit when you get it seated - this is not with their awful lead though. - see a few posts back for a serviceable or good one that will fit (ordinary leads don't). The input socket seems badly made and unless your input plug is correctly seated you will be hearing a small stereo soundstage, bass cancelling out and mids (lots of differences) there quite a lot. It just a slight signal from left channel leaking to the right channel and vice versa.

I think you must be hearing them that way. Twiddle the lead (cable) and you SHOULD find an AWESOME headphone suddenly appear. One FAR better than anything you mentioned in your post, even the P7 (hmm debatable about the P7).

I say push the plug it in a bit more... OR you might need to pull it out a bit more, which I just found out by trying that.

You might have a dodgy cable (the supplied one is plain awful, too thin and very breakable) so you might not have even heard them correctly yet. What you say sounds nothing like the experience of the rest of us who own them, not even close. It sounds exactly like what I hear with the plug not seated in the earphone correctly.

I rate these way above the Momentum (any version), the PSB M4U2, the Beyer T51p, and just about anything in this price range of £200 to £300, IF you want a relaxed super-enjoyable, smiling hifi listen, not an accurate flat one, these are the best for up to $500 or where the Shure 1540 arrives.

Please try some things and get back to this forum because this sounds like a rotten introduction to a superb headphone. I would say IDEAL for Country And Western music (though personally I don't refer to C&W as music - more a dimwitted annoyance - but it sells millions, enjoyed by millions (mostly owning a gun) so who gives a toss what I think). Anyway I'd say MM400 excellent for that of you like it, and excellent for jazz trio stuff. For electronic (dubstep etc) you'll be missing out - the headhone is too smooth and relaxed, same for all EDM. Pop - yes, passably good for that.

Let us know how things progress because I am convinced you have a faulty headphone or a bad cable, or a bad input socket.

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #748 of 1,435
  There should be a "decent" amount of bass for sure! I use mine with a Cayin N6 with very good results....they don't go as deep as my Denon D5000's but

i expected that. They are satisfying.

Yup they go pretty low - lower than most headphones. Quanity is not huge but it is pushed a bit. No "pretend" bass by pushing at around 100hz. They pushed the eq at around 60hz I think, perceived as "sub-bass". Ears only measurements. Try slightly unplugging them at the earcup until you get stereo - does that sound like the thing randy98mtu was talking about? Can anyone here replicate his description? (I assume he's male by the name and the fact he's tedious enough to be at headfi). I can replicate it.

Sep 15, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #749 of 1,435
Interesting feedback.  The GC20's sounded like subwoofers on my head, so there is a definitely difference.  The GC20's lack in other areas.  I am going to burn them in overnight tonight because I WANT to love them.

My vocabulary for these topics is probably not the best.  I think the definition of smooth is the best.  I say neutral, maybe I meant natural.  They are a fun sound, which is what I like.  I seem to lean toward U or V as people describe them.

I will play with the plug and maybe use the other cable that came with them.  If I don't notice a big jump in bass, maybe I will request a replacement.  When I push the volume on my NuForce, the bass is most certainly there and on par with the P7's.  Better quality to it as well.  To me it seems they are just slightly harder to drive than the P7's and thus have a bit less bass from my iPhone (6 Plus)

Thanks for the feedback!  I will return.

Sep 16, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #750 of 1,435
I had the p7 and compared them side by side with the mm400's before moving onto the mm400's and selling my p7's. I found they did have a bit less bass but it was a lot cleaner than the p7's.

I tested a few of the mm400's (I was in japan at the time so there were plenty of opportunities) and as long as the cable was fully clicked in they all sounded the same. I couldn't notice any weird issues with the sound or anything unless the cable didn't click in completely.

As such I honestly doubt your mm400's have an issue but it's more that you're used to the reasonably boosted bass of the p7. It's a lot of fun and I really enjoyed the p7 but after giving the mm400's some time I found the cleaner but still very much present bass was more to my liking.

In any case, they're your headphones and there's no real harm in returning them to get a new pair but I'd say your experience with them in comparison to the p7 pretty much fits what I heard too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back