Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #4,111 of 4,412
I had some more listening last night, still running them in and getting used to them vs Amiron. I love Bjork but for some reason hadn't really listened to some albums, listened to Biophilia, my god that is beautiful! I was just in awe of the D9200, really enjoying them, plus Bjork is pretty good :wink:

I'm mid 40s and maybe killed off some of my ears over the years or I'm just getting on a bit :) so I enjoy limited blasting a bit sometimes but also mindful that I don't wanna go losing any more hearing! Could just be one of those things as my Dad has hearing aids for the past few years.

I used to have a Little Dot mk3 until it developed a fault and I just sold it as broken. I'm increasingly interested in tube rolling again and looking at the Lyr+ now. oh god my wallet :)

I've just been looking back at this awesome long thread and the D9200 is easy to drive and therefore less responsive to tube warmth?

Sensitivity will tell you into what type of tube amp you should look into. As for D9200 you need to look for a transformer coupled tube amp which are usually more expensive than OTL designs.

If you look good enough you can find some transformer coupled amps which are budget friendly like Eddie current ZDT jr. I'm using similar amp which may go for sale in future as I'm searching for portable setup instead

Nov 17, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #4,112 of 4,412
Don't disagree with your generalizations.

You can make any sorts of rules like that. I honestly don't care.

I write because I find it interesting to compare certain headphones myself and think maybe someone else can find it interesting too. And many others do.
I think it's fair to compare a comparably priced closed back to an open back. Some people may only make one purchase of headphones and perhaps need to be aware of the differences not only in design but in performance as well. I have Focal Clear MGs and I often compare those headphones to my 9200s when talking to other enthusiasts. Your points are valid.

Take the Focals, they are not that wide in soundstage, none of the Focals really are. The 9200s are not far behind. Bass is deeper on the Denons as you would expect but the Focals are very rhythmic through the mid bass. Mids are very close with perhaps the Denons shading it here with more detail. Treble the Denons have more range and can contain the wonderful Joni Mitchell on her Blue album with ease.

I've had the Denons for almost a year now but I had never played Jennifer Warne's album The Hunter always playing it late at night with either of my open backs. So the album, a CD from my Denon DCD-2500ne through the Lehmann Linear, was given an airing with the 9200s. Got to track 6, a cover of The Whole of the Moon, which made me sit up and take notice. The imaging on the 9200s was 'whoa what's going on here'. The track has some great snare drum and percussion going on. Warnes was centre and in front of the drums which were mainly in the right channel, it was palpable, you knew exactly where they were depth wise. This also the same with strings. I changed to the Focals and they couldn't replicate the imaging of the Denons.

With the Clears and the 9200s it's certainly close but if I had to choose between the two it would, without doubt, be the Denons that would be kept. Someone is always going to look to a comparison between open and closed in any given price bracket.

Nov 17, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #4,113 of 4,412
I think it's fair to compare a comparably priced closed back to an open back. Some people may only make one purchase of headphones and perhaps need to be aware of the differences not only in design but in performance as well. I have Focal Clear MGs and I often compare those headphones to my 9200s when talking to other enthusiasts. Your points are valid.

Take the Focals, they are not that wide in soundstage, none of the Focals really are. The 9200s are not far behind. Bass is deeper on the Denons as you would expect but the Focals are very rhythmic through the mid bass. Mids are very close with perhaps the Denons shading it here with more detail. Treble the Denons have more range and can contain the wonderful Joni Mitchell on her Blue album with ease.

I've had the Denons for almost a year now but I had never played Jennifer Warne's album The Hunter always playing it late at night with either of my open backs. So the album, a CD from my Denon DCD-2500ne through the Lehmann Linear, was given an airing with the 9200s. Got to track 6, a cover of The Whole of the Moon, which made me sit up and take notice. The imaging on the 9200s was 'whoa what's going on here'. The track has some great snare drum and percussion going on. Warnes was centre and in front of the drums which were mainly in the right channel, it was palpable, you knew exactly where they were depth wise. This also the same with strings. I changed to the Focals and they couldn't replicate the imaging of the Denons.

With the Clears and the 9200s it's certainly close but if I had to choose between the two it would, without doubt, be the Denons that would be kept. Someone is always going to look to a comparison between open and closed in any given price bracket.

Thanks for sharing your perspective, I totally agree with your points :)

I see you have the Oppo PM1? That's also a great set of cans!

Nov 17, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #4,114 of 4,412
I see you have the Oppo PM1? That's also a great set of cans!
Very little the Denons can't handle except for very poor and compressed CDs, the Oppos can tame the worse to make them listenable. My oldest set of cans and will probably go with me as grave goods.

Nov 24, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #4,116 of 4,412
I haven't seen any offer for black friday yet. On ebay uk there is one with offer for £850. It's new but without warranty, and I'm afraid to buy as apparently Denon have poor customer service where there is no warranty.

Nov 24, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #4,117 of 4,412
Not quite what you’re after maybe but Amazon has a Black Friday offer on the d7200

Nov 27, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #4,119 of 4,412
Would you please, 9200s users, measure the inner hole of the pads? I want to compare it with the EMU teaks to see if they have the same size, because the 9200s pads could acommodate my ears, but don't know about the EMU teaks, from the pics the holes seem smaller...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #4,120 of 4,412
Would you please, 9200s users, measure the inner hole of the pads? I want to compare it with the EMU teaks to see if they have the same size, because the 9200s pads could acommodate my ears, but don't know about the EMU teaks, from the pics the holes seem smaller...

Thanks in advance.
About 7cm height and 4 cm width.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back