Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Jun 22, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #16 of 4,413
The main comfort issue is that headband.
Denon is not listening.
Listening to what? I had no problem with the headband. I found it very comfy.

Jun 23, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #18 of 4,413
Not interesting, just logic?

Jun 25, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #19 of 4,413
Just noticed this thread. And I watched the video with my 7200s in hand to compare and these do indeed look 100% the same besides the wood. Someone above remarked about the hinges, they are fine. Materials used and build is beautiful on these things I can understand them reusing it for an even pricier headphone.

But the headband is an issue for many (not all, but many) including myself. These are the first full size headphones that have a “hot spot” for me. It’s slightly less with the ZMF Ori (lambskin perforated) pads but still not completely gone. I hope these 9200s don’t have the same hard plastic band on the inside.

Pricing is also going to be an issue: the retail price is twice that of the 7200s. Are the bamboo cups and updated drivers going to justify that? Looking forward to finding out.

Jun 25, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #21 of 4,413
i bought the ah-d7200 for 550€. solid construction and really good sounds. if this new flagship sounds better and it will be found for around 1000 €, it will be considered

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #22 of 4,413
Listening to what? I had no problem with the headband. I found it very comfy.
That's great if it's comfortable for you, but it seems a lot of people don't have the same sized/shaped head as you. I've seen more complaints than usual about comfort issues with the D7200 due to the headband only touching a very small spot right on top for most people which creates a hot spot and becomes very uncomfortable very quickly. That combined with the stiffness of the headband.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #23 of 4,413
for me the headband was good but i have a small head(and brain). i found unconfortable the pads

Jun 28, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #24 of 4,413
Like others have said everything about screams D7200 with different cups. I really didn't have an issue with the headband of the D7200's. My issue was with the upper frequency roll off. They just lacked that last bit of clarity to make them keepers for me. I wonder if the D9200's addresses this.
If they smart they would need have elevated the upper range .
Very very important as it was what held the 7200 unit down.
As far as I know, I am the only one who is able to elevate the trebles, while keeping and cleaning the bass.

If 9200 does this,
It would make for a well balanced Headphone of above average quality.

The 9200 is in a position to eclipse any fostex variant ( like the th900 ) in terms of resolution, as the 7200 already at that level or higher, except masked by the wood cup resonances.

9200 probably still not have the soundstage of an ZMF Eikon or Auteur, because of the slightly more shallow wood cups,
but will still eclipse them also in resolution.
I say so because Stock 7200 is already at that level or higher.

Yet ZMF does have the superior signature.
ZMF has an excellent refined signature that is hard to beat.
Once they move onto better drivers,
they will be strong as they already know how to tune the headphones better than anyone else I seen.

for me the headband was good but i have a small head(and brain). i found unconfortable the pads
Pads are still garbage here, and most any aftermarket choices will beat stock pads...

The headband issue is real,
and the "hot-spot" affects most average and wider heads over time.
Denon is not listening to consumer feedback, if they ever were.
Lets hope they actually have improved the sound...

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #25 of 4,413
And I thought my head was big..

Jun 28, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #26 of 4,413
Jun 28, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #27 of 4,413
If they smart they would need have elevated the upper range .
Very very important as it was what held the 7200 unit down.
As far as I know, I am the only one who is able to elevate the trebles, while keeping and cleaning the bass.

If 9200 does this,
It would make for a well balanced Headphone of above average quality.

The 9200 is in a position to eclipse any fostex variant ( like the th900 ) in terms of resolution, as the 7200 already at that level or higher, except masked by the wood cup resonances.

9200 probably still not have the soundstage of an ZMF Eikon or Auteur, because of the slightly more shallow wood cups,
but will still eclipse them also in resolution.
I say so because Stock 7200 is already at that level or higher.

Yet ZMF does have the superior signature.
ZMF has an excellent refined signature that is hard to beat.
Once they move onto better drivers,
they will be strong as they already know how to tune the headphones better than anyone else I seen.

Pads are still garbage here, and most any aftermarket choices will beat stock pads...

The headband issue is real,
and the "hot-spot" affects most average and wider heads over time.
Denon is not listening to consumer feedback, if they ever were.
Lets hope they actually have improved the sound...
I agree with you about the treble on the D7200's. It really did hold the unit back. I kept wishing the D7200's had more treble extension and clarity but I could never pull it out of them regardless of source or cable. The rest of the frequency range I thought was just about perfect. As a result I ended up selling them. If the D9200's can bring the treble up I think they'll have a winner on their hands.

Regardless of treble, If the D9200's is a refined version of the D7200's they still will have a tough time trying to beat the sound of the ZMF Eikons or Auteurs. I heard them both at a local meet and preferred the sound signature of the ZMF products.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #28 of 4,413
Jul 8, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #29 of 4,413
I bought (and still have and enjoy very often) a D7200 for less than 600€. At this price point (not so difficult to find in EU) the D7200 is a incredible deal, almost unbeatable IMHO. Easily the best headphones you can buy for less than 600€
I have never experienced any problem with the D7200, I find them ergonomically ok, maybe the pad are a little small-ish (most probably designed for the japanese ears), the build quality and materials are more than ok for me, of course not at the level of the Utopia, but I paid Utopia almost 6x the money I paid for D7200........
Sound-wise, I would only want some more speed and resolution, a little bit more "air" (not so much really, the balance is almost perfect, just lacking the last bit of air) and a better controlled midbass, but that's in comparison to cans costing 5x or more.
If these D9200 are an improved D7200, I will buy them eyes closed as soon as they are available.

Jul 16, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #30 of 4,413

Users who are viewing this thread

Back