Denon AH-D7000
Apr 1, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #5,281 of 7,464

Quote:
You could still go with tubes, just pair up with an amp that's less about warmth and more about texture, like a decent hybrid. The EF-5 is a great example, and on the cheaper end is the LD I+. The LD is a great match which I use myself. Roll in some inexpensive Voskhod EF-95s and you'd be set.

I see you have a LD and e9.

you think a Little Dot (either I or III) is worth getting if I already have a FiiO e9+e10 ?
or is that money better spent elsewhere?

(I listen to all types of music from my MacbookPro, & occasionally CD and vinyl from an older receiver. My cans are D7000, HD600, SR225i, DT 770 Pro-80, M50.)

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #5,282 of 7,464

you think a Little Dot (either I or III) is worth getting if I already have a FiiO e9+e10 ?

(I listen to all types of music from my MacbookPro, & occasionally CD and vinyl from an older receiver. My cans are D7000, HD600, SR225i, DT 770 Pro-80, M50.)

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the E9. IMO, the LD I+ is 3x the amp for roughly the same money. Quite frankly it will drive just about any headphones you could own, I can even get a satisfactory amount of volume from my HE-6s with mine. The sound isn't awesome, but it isn't shockingly bad either. That's saying something.

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #5,283 of 7,464
It is hard to have a worse impedance match than the Lyr and D7000's.  This is certainly not a good example of tube amp potential with D7000's -- there are many tube amps that sound great with them.

Most tubes warm up the sound a bit, FWIH. Something the D7000 doesn't need. The Lyr was stated to have a relatively neutral sound with the stock tubes, and I felt it still warmed it up too much. So no thanks. And I didn't get the Lyr for the D7000, but for the HE-4 at that time, but since I had the D7000 on hand, of course, I was going to test it out.

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #5,284 of 7,464
 Try decware  combo for the  for the D7K not added warmth only musicality. Better than ever SS amp I have had here and will also try another one soon but in the end its always the decware that get the time   Magical Musicality of tubes IMO unsurpassed

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #5,290 of 7,464
Yeah... leak more in than out, but they're better than wide open cans like the HD-800.
Don't expect superior isolation from the D7k.

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #5,291 of 7,464

Quote:

LD1+ is a great match for D7000.  LD1+ is a hybrid where it's a half solid state & half tube with lots of current; much more so than LD III or IV, which are full tube amps.  It sounds pretty good and compares decently to my Burson (of course, not the same, though).  For D7000, LD1+ is the way to go among LD family and other less expensive amps, IMO.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #5,292 of 7,464

Quote:
LD1+ is a great match for D7000.  LD1+ is a hybrid where it's a half solid state & half tube with lots of current; much more so than LD III or IV, which are full tube amps.  It sounds pretty good and compares decently to my Burson (of course, not the same, though).  For D7000, LD1+ is the way to go among LD family and other less expensive amps, IMO.

how are Grado's (specifically the 225i) with LD1+ ?

also, I understand that the LD1+ is for lower ohm headphones, but how would higher impedance cans (like my HD600) sound on it?

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #5,293 of 7,464

Quote:
how are Grado's (specifically the 225i) with LD1+ ?

also, I understand that the LD1+ is for lower ohm headphones, but how would higher impedance cans (like my HD600) sound on it?

I can't tell you anything about Grados.  In case of HD600, I wouldn't recommend it as it's strength is in high current, low impedance headphones.  It's pretty weak otherwise.

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #5,294 of 7,464
For someone who's owned the D7000's for close to a year and the Little Dot I+ for over a year, my experience will lead me to say that the LDI+ is not a good match for the D7000's, its just an OK match, and that is with a LME49720HA opamp tossed in (never tried stock)

As someone here already mentioned, they run the D7000's off of a vintage Carver amp (overkill, but I love it!), while I run mine off of a vintage Hitachi amp (class-a power). I've also tried them on a vintage NAD amp, 7020e (another class-a) and they sounded great. NAD has too much gain, so the noise floor is too much to bare although the imaging was heavenly.
The Hitachi's noise floor is apparent on quiet passages, but not enough to be annoying.

One thing is for sure, the Denon's love class-a power and so far have sounded best out of my Hitachi. Its my go to match. This match will be on display at an upcoming audio meet in my area and I am very interested to hear the impressions. 

Becoming frustrated with amp matching, I was minutes away from selling my Denon's. Glad I tried the Hitachi amp first. The bass tightened up, the mids came through, and the high's evened up with the rest of the spectrum while staying smooth. And for that reason, my go to Grado's have sat hung up for the past 2 months.

I listen to a lot of rock, classical, and industrial/electronic music (not as much, but still regularly I listen to Jazz and Classical). Sound stage and imaging is my favorite part of this headphone along with the weight it adds to music. Oh the weight, love it. Something about the closed cups and the resonance they create make them so great sounding. The colour they add makes me WANT to listen to music while still achieving a level of accuracy I crave.
My AKG 240's, although "accurate" are as boring as it gets. Boredom sets in quick as does listening fatigue.

Pardon the lengthy reply. All I wanted to really say was, look at other options beside the LDI+. It would not be my first or second choice.

Good luck.

Quote:
You could still go with tubes, just pair up with an amp that's less about warmth and more about texture, like a decent hybrid. The EF-5 is a great example, and on the cheaper end is the LD I+. The LD is a great match which I use myself. Roll in some inexpensive Voskhod EF-95s and you'd be set.

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #5,295 of 7,464
I moved from DACMgic + HiFiMAN EF-5 to HeadRoom Desktop Amp (not Ultra) , IMO the sound of D-7000 cant be better 
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back